Forum

The future of ETF2L

Created 4th August 2012 @ 21:56

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 12 Next »

gnaw

Quoted from ThePledge

I will try to write an VanillaTF2 article about this forum topic with my insights as well over the next week. Please feel free to keep discussing stuff as I feel this could be an interesting one.

Please no somber epitaphs, ones that are self-fulfilling prophesies at most and cheap melodramatic nostalgia at least. I read that shit about a year ago, when I first started reading VanillaTF2 and was eager to learn about (but hesitant to get involved in) more competitive play.

And here, when I first read the thread “New to competitive TF2 or ETF2L” — on the very first page someone’s declaring “TF2 is dead, so don’t bother.” That post was 703 days ago from now.

Well I hope it’s a good article, one that’s focused whole-heartedly on the present and the future, and doesn’t dwell on the past, or the fading of the old.

ups

Quoted from Tapley ❤

Can admins do a search string in all forum posts “TF2 is dead” as i think the first time that was said here was like 3 years ago, look where we are now.

Or we could try google, even though it doesn’t find as many posts as it should.

And the winner is… punkil (October 26th, 2009 at 11:46):

TF2 IS DEAD! ETF2L MUST DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Spicke isn’t cheater лошпены!

Last edited by ups,

ilike2spin

RLM

Quoted from Peign slays dragons

The big problem of the scene is that a talented pubber has no chance to find an entry point into the competitive scene. Unlocks aren’t important. I fear people are discussing the wrong problem all the time :/

Some time ago CanFo asked on a german Fansite If pubbers would play competitively if they could – as well as the unlock question. Find a way to involve newer players! That’s how we manage to “survive”. Unlocks are details!

For example. There are so many people with barely no contacts looking for their very first competitive team in the recruitment area. Why not add them and ask for some mixes? 30 minutes for a good thing. :)

I don’t understand how people think there is no ‘entry point’. There have been newbie mix initiatives, tf2 mentoring as well as the lobby and pixelpickup situation. Anyone who is keen can come to ETF2L and find information of how to improve. There is a wealth of coverage of top end games to learn from and many people streaming/doing demo reviews. Anyone who wants to get good at TF2 and has time to play can simply begin playing pixelpickups and make connections that way. Most people in TF2 are generally forgiving of new players’ mistakes and it is easy to find people who are willing to help. Do people expect someone else to make their friends for them? Just find people you enjoy playing with then make a team, easy stuff.

wrock

vier

Quoted from ilike2spin

[…]

I don’t understand how people think there is no ‘entry point’. There have been newbie mix initiatives, tf2 mentoring as well as the lobby and pixelpickup situation. Anyone who is keen can come to ETF2L and find information of how to improve. There is a wealth of coverage of top end games to learn from and many people streaming/doing demo reviews. Anyone who wants to get good at TF2 and has time to play can simply begin playing pixelpickups and make connections that way. Most people in TF2 are generally forgiving of new players’ mistakes and it is easy to find people who are willing to help. Do people expect someone else to make their friends for them? Just find people you enjoy playing with then make a team, easy stuff.

yeah, there more entry options then any other game has, but the problem is that 6v6 is really different from standard public play
I remembe rmy early days…setting up a team, get scrims get to tactics…all quite hard, you need to read a lot, communicate with a lot of people….
nowadys its maybe a bit easier, but if you think of lol or dota, you just have to enter the league and play as you always did

Last edited by wrock,

gnaw

Quoted from wrock

[…]

yeah, there more entry options then any other game has, but the problem is that 6v6 is really different from standard public play
I remembe rmy early days…setting up a team, get scrims get to tactics…all quite hard, you need to read a lot, communicate with a lot of people….
nowadys its maybe a bit easier, but if you think of lol or dota, you just have to enter the league and play as you always did

Yes, this is accurate. There are metric shit-tons of content scattered across MGE videos, pro stream VODs, casted games with analysis, POVs, tutorials and demos. Anyone with the attention span and the intrigue can learn more theory than they need if they have a few hundred hours to spare on them.

The profoundly simple entry point is explaining what 6v6 is, why it is and where it is. Make a pretty, articulate and comprehensive video that lasts no longer than fifteen minutes, share it every place imaginable and have it ready for whenever the occasion arises that someone doesn’t know what it’s all about.

If the eXtv documentary on i46 is intended to be presentable to those unfamiliar with the scene/format, thoughtfully produce an extractable scene where all this is carefully explained. Have the top demomen explain how demoman functions in competitive play, the top medics explaining their class and so on. Across the interview, include exciting frag clips from each player doing their thing.

Last edited by gnaw,

hans

Quoted from wrock

all quite hard, you need to read a lot, communicate with a lot of people….

Here’s a provocative thought: Maybe TF2 is better off without people who are unable to read a lot and communicate with a lot of people? The game may be dying, but inflating it with people who cba to learn the game mode and want to minimize their own effort probably won’t help it. As someone just said, there’s plenty of information and help available and there was already more than enough information available three years ago. Anyone who says it’s hard to find an entry point into comp play is simply lazy (or too dumb and thus unlikely to ever play on a significant level i suppose).

If you want to play LOL or DOTA you have to read a lot and communicate with a lot of people before you can play your first public game without being raged at btw. It’s the same (probably even more) level of commitment in the long run.

Last edited by hans,

gnaw

Quoted from hans

[…]

Anyone who says it’s hard to find an entry point into comp play is simply lazy (or too dumb and thus unlikely to ever play on a significant level i suppose).

This is not quite the right way to look at it. You can’t call someone who’s not yet at all introduced or enticed to a thing lazy for not putting in the effort.

Last edited by gnaw,

ThePledge

To people who want me not to be pessimistic – why would I be? TF2 has been called dead for years now, no reason to feel sad about it anymore. As I said, it will be a summary of everything being said here, combined with my own opinion into a “what will TF2 be in a few years?” sort of article.

– Pledge

wrock

vier

Quoted from hans

If you want to play LOL or DOTA you have to read a lot and communicate with a lot of people before you can play your first public game without being raged at btw. It’s the same (probably even more) level of commitment in the long run.

ofc, if you want to play good…
and ofc tf2 has a much better/friendlier than then the raging trolls in lol and dota…but they have much more people, more lans and so on…

communities/leagues staying alive /growing with fools…

Last edited by wrock,

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from ThePledge

To people who want me not to be pessimistic – why would I be? TF2 has been called dead for years now, no reason to feel sad about it anymore. As I said, it will be a summary of everything being said here, combined with my own opinion into a “what will TF2 be in a few years?” sort of article.

– Pledge

Your article has to include that in three years Crasp will have left the country with the ad monies.

wrock

vier

Quoted from CanFo

[…]
Your article has to include that in three years Crasp will have left the country with the ad monies.

which ad money? i heard over 90 % of etf2l visitors using firefox and i’m sur emost of them have addblock installed :P

CanFo

(Legend)
[HA]
#T4F

Quoted from wrock

[…]

which ad money? i heard over 90 % of etf2l visitors using firefox and i’m sur emost of them have addblock installed :P

Only 34.77 % of our visitors are using Firefox.

Ace

Quoted from Tapley ❤

Can admins do a search string in all forum posts “TF2 is dead” as i think the first time that was said here was like 3 years ago, look where we are now.

http://etf2l.org/forum/general/topic-72/?recent=671

Wai called it.

Gubbins

Op4

Quoted from Ace

[…]

http://etf2l.org/forum/general/topic-72/?recent=671

Wai called it.

Long live cod4

Sketch

MM

so warsow finally got released… cya