Forum

Protected Servers

Created 18th February 2011 @ 10:59

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2

Quoted from Spike Himself

Yes that’s what I meant.
(but wouldn’t they need read access for the game to work in the first place?)

the files which needs read access like “valve.rc” have “0644” so they can be read but not be modified.

Quoted from reactioN

does this blocks ratehack / modified tcp.regs ?

– It currently does not fix any rate values but it would be technically possible.

what are tcp.regs?

reactioN

Quoted from Ronny

[…]

– It currently does not fix any rate values but it would be technically possible.

what are tcp.regs?

private tcp’s r kinda similar to ratehacks, makes you harder to hit and easier meatshots etc

can be easily fixed same as ratehacks since it works nearly the same

not so popular in tf2 tho but seen this in na tf2

Last edited by reactioN,

AnimaL

i think he means tcp.reg

a registry file made for limiting upload bandwith id imagine, which u can set back to default after games i guess

Last edited by AnimaL,

Quoted from reactioN

does this blocks ratehack / modified tcp.regs ?

gee

“Protected Server”
why this is such a new and exciting concept you thought of. nothing that has already been obvious to any non-retarded game host since what, 01?

Quoted from AnimaL

i think he means tcp.reg

a registry file made for limiting upload bandwith id imagine, which u can set back to default after games i guess

I think there is nothing a gsp can do against because it’s totally client based and does not use any ingame cvars.

Last edited by Ronny,

reactioN

Quoted from Ronny

[…]

I think there is nothing a gsp can do against because it’s totally client based and does not use and ingame cvars.

new ratehacks dont use ingame cvars aswell

so this will just block metamods or server side hacks wich are not even common at all

cba the effort

nice try tho

Last edited by reactioN,

AnimaL

Quoted from reactioN

[…]

new ratehacks dont use ingame cvars aswell

so this will just block metamods or server side hacks wich are not even common at all

cba the effort

nice try tho

why do u even care, ur banned in all the leagues anyway

and thats obvious no ac plugin or app can deal with ppl who restrict bandwith inside os or even router

“server side hacks” -> thats the topic :)

AnAkkk

Quoted from Spike Himself

Surely all you’d need to do is chmod the addons folder?

No, as you can load a plugin from any folder on the server, and that’s mainly the problem. You need to protect all folders accessible by the user.

Quoted from AnAkkk

[…]

No, as you can load a plugin from any folder on the server, and that’s mainly the problem. You need to protect all folders accessible by the user.

As far as I know this can only be done with the “plugin_load” command which is blocked in protection mode. Another way to load plugins is via gameinfo.txt which is also blocked.

AcidReniX

RaWr ::

My question would be, how could a regular client tell that a server is a protected server?

A config that says “Server protection activated” wouldn’t exactly get my trust that a team were not using modified values on their server, and if nice-servers have an unprotected mode, what would be stopping a server admin from faking that a nice-server is a protected one, but disabling the protection and then modifying stuff.

Surely this protection would be to give confidence to the ‘away’ team, that the hosts of the server were not modifying cvars and shit, but if there is no way for the ‘away’ team to tell, then it’s the same as the ‘home’ team telling them that they haven’t modified any settings.

Dr-GimpfeN

9g1c

normaly there is a check on the hosters website.
their you enter the ip and port of the gameserver and the website tells you if the server is protected or not…

Skyride

DUCS

Quoted from AcidReniX

A config that says “Server protection activated” wouldn’t exactly get my trust that a team were not using modified values on their server

but if there is no way for the ‘away’ team to tell, then it’s the same as the ‘home’ team telling them that they haven’t modified any settings.

These 2 points are pretty much the sole cause for 99.9% of credit card and identity theft worldwide. I don’t see why it would be any different in this case. Any sort of “central group who certify them” gives 2 massive problems. Either A) It increases the barrier of entry for running servers (i.e. increases cost to providers/anyone running their own servers to get “certified”) and B) If they just offer certification at cost (i.e. like SSL certificates now), all it means for cheaters is they need to pay a little more money. SOMEONE SOMEWHERE will find a way around it and make a mint off cheaters.

Ignoring this, I think in 2 years of comp TF2 I’ve only seen this happen once (and it was actually on our own server after forgetting to set sv_cheats 0 from the night before).

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2