Forum

Never again.

Created 8th May 2012 @ 02:29

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

kaidus

WiK?

Next time we have an “i45 situation” (as it will forever be remembered) can we just go yank style and community fund a team to the event? The yanks do this pretty much every season for the esea lan as there is always one team that can’t self-fund it, and it’s nearly always come off without a hitch. We always big up our community and how amazing it is, so I don’t see why this shouldn’t be entirely possible for us.

Last edited by kaidus,

TurboTabs

(Classy)
Op4

My concerns are:

How will I know my money is actually needed to get them to LAN? I’d imagine it would be easy for a team to lie and get a free trip.

How will we decide which team “deserves” the community financial backing?

With a I-series LAN running at intervals of 4 months between each other and ESEA LAN running at intervals of 8/9 months. Wouldn’t there be likely be more ‘hitches’ towards creating hype/donations due to smaller gaps of time?

Who would manage/promote the donations? The particular team leader of the team needing the funds? A popular competitive TF2 group/org like VanillaTF2, eXtv or ETF2L?

I got other very wild concerns but they seem far too unlikely so lets just start out with these concerns.

Also I’m not ruling out or discouraging the idea. Just bringing up things we need to address before I think it should happen.

kaidus

WiK?

Quoted from TurboTabs

It’s a lot simpler in the case of the yanks and ESEA, as the teams all feel obligated to attend so will do their best to do so before seeking community support. However, something to keep in mind is that unlike i-series; ESEA attendees consist almost exclusively of the pro-players (in TF2s case at least, I have no idea about the other games) so there isn’t nearly so much paid back to the community in the actual act of a sponsored team attending ESEA as there would be them attending i-series. Having a final like infused vs epsilon not only boosts the spectacle of the final itself (something ESEA only experiences in an online capacity), but I’ll be damned if it wouldn’t boost the attendees significantly as well. For me, this justifies the support for the team even if they may have been able to pay more for themselves. Truth be told, we probably wouldn’t raise enough to be able to fully support an entire team, so any that actually want to attend using this method would need to be willing to pay their own way where possible.

Concerning who would manage it, well off the top of my head I’d say it would have to be vanilla as they are the driving force behind TF2 at the i-series already. Historically speaking, I also trust their competency a great deal than any other major tf2 institution…ahem. It has to be a neutral party as opposed to a team-leader, there’s no doubt about that. Maybe someone could ask marco to do it….

Regarding the intervals, it’s important to remember that for as long as this is worth doing the summer i-series will not require this effort. If that should cease to be the case then the game is effectively dead in my books. That leaves two i-series a year which seems doable to me but I haven’t fully considered the logistics of it. If only one event a year was possible, then it should be the spring i-series over the winter as by spring TF2 is completley lan starved in terms of a competitive event, where as in winter the excitement of i46 has barely subsided.

Like I say, I will be the first to admit I haven’t fully considered the idea but I think it’s realistic enough to bring to discussion (which is all I’m trying to achieve by this thread.. Should a genuine effort toward it be made, it really needs to come from an established group like Vanilla).

Last edited by kaidus,

stuntz

i would donate a few bucks to see Retshock at a lan, just him and royze tho because he doesnt need a team with 0 ping ^^

Swifty

ξ(゜ヮ゜)ξ

This is a giant scam. As you see, as kaidus is leading the push for this, he will put out huge walls of text filled with logic and good arguments, which will lead to everyone agreeing with him and supporting him as the leader of this project. His willingness to let it go to vanilla to be in charge of it is a smart move, as now nobody would expect him of this evil plot. People will blindly put trust in this man, based off of his position in the scene with shows such as pirateradio, and other high end production works that get him his popularity. Once he is in charge of the funds, he will keep building it up till i46 nears, where he then will, in a swift act of deceit, turn tail and head for his new paid for house in Amsterdam, where he will continue with his life long goal of smoking weed every day.

Would not trust.

Swarlz

Quoted from Swifty

This is a giant scam. As you see, as kaidus is leading the push for this, he will put out huge walls of text filled with logic and good arguments, which will lead to everyone agreeing with him and supporting him as the leader of this project. His willingness to let it go to vanilla to be in charge of it is a smart move, as now nobody would expect him of this evil plot. People will blindly put trust in this man, based off of his position in the scene with shows such as pirateradio, and other high end production works that get him his popularity. Once he is in charge of the funds, he will keep building it up till i46 nears, where he then will, in a swift act of deceit, turn tail and head for his new paid for house in Amsterdam, where he will continue with his life long goal of smoking weed every day.

Would not trust.

+1

FAINTAYDAYDAYDAYDAYD

Is this so you don’t have to put up with sitting near woody again?

konr

Completely agree. The TF2 community is fucking huge and even at LANs like i45 we have so many people going. Putting up a donation page before these Spring LANs would be good, and then the VanillaTF2 staff can do the work with said money to get whichever team can’t come to LAN.

IPZIE

SUAVE

i like the idea but what happens if you have two teams that cant come and the money lasts for one?

WOODY[

Op4

Quoted from FAINTAYDAYDAYDAYDAYD

Is this so you don’t have to put up with sitting near woody again?

no, its to stop the final and prize pot being total aids.

Stuppa

.Dicknitas

Sad… unusual traders earn more money than competitive ones

thx valve

MR JOHNSON

(^-^)v

Seems like an interesting idea, especially considering how the lan looked (though I hope everyone there enjoyed it!) in terms of attendance. A few thoughts, albeit, perhaps going too far a head in the future:

It is probably a good idea to set a goal beforehand, e.g., the goal is to sponsor some set amount of teams, rather than see how much money can be collected and then say, oops too much, or oops we can just help half a team. It might actually be a good idea to start small, get all the particulars down. Most importantly though, put a scope on the attempted sponsorship.

A trusted middleman, obviously and book keeping and receipts and all that fun. As well as clearly defined rules what sponsored money are to go to, is it just to help a team over the edge, or is it to cover living, the travel, and perhaps food? It may seem petty, but it’s a good idea to make everyone understand what their sponsorship actually goes toward.

Next question is return, is it a matter of just making sure that (for example) four of the best teams play in i4- in the ordinary tournament structure, or would it require a new tournament forms, an invite tournament if you will. Would it be required? If you look at NA: a large part is the tournament they then play in, where every game, is a good game*. Would it even be possible to coalescence, say the etf2l finals and this potential sponsoring? I don’t want to go too far ahead but it may be a good idea to think about: why should these teams be sponsored, in what way are they going to be participating.

To add up: From orgs, such as, Epsilon and Infused what is the likelihood they would send their squads to such “off-lan” (well infsd did) if one or more top teams are there, sponsored. Would it be possible that they too started to look for community sponsoring to a larger degree than before, and if so, would that be a good thing? Just a bit of a hyperbole. Also, what help could be got from Multiplay?

I hope it could work out, especially if you start out with a moderate goal. One things is clear though, you will need someone good to coordinate everything, from receipts to getting the money to the right person etc, have the book keeping part and responsibility part planned out before, so a player or team manager don’t go, uhm, was I supposed to get the air ticket, or vice versa.

off-topic: what happened with NA teams to I46?

Last edited by MR JOHNSON,

Nmx

ᴷᵈ

tf2 deed, come LoL millions of dollars for everyone.

Black_Bob

[DA]

If this was to go ahead I think a zero based budgeting approach should be taken and say the top six teams who need this funding apply and put a figure on how much it would cost for them to attend. This way people can easily see the pros and cons of each team, one quality team from scandinavia may cost the same as 2 teams from places not so far away.

Then on vanillatf2.org put a poll up where the people can vote for which teams to attend and split the amounts rasied based on the vote.

Or again cost up how much it would be to get each team to attend, but only the people who donate money get to vote which team attends maybe £5 per vote or somthing like that. (this would combat people making false accounts just to get the team they want to attend)

IPZIE

SUAVE

inb4 circlejerks

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »