Forum

rates, cl_interp, interp_ratio....

Created 18th October 2008 @ 19:56

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 Next »

dioxid

<^^><

Well my fps isn’t too good, it’s about 50-60,but sometimes it drops down to about 30 (avarage about 45-50 I guess).
With WinXP it was ok,but now, with Win7 I need to use Chris’s highframes.cfg (inbetween maxframes and moreframes) instead of moreframes.cfg (good quality, good fps).

So if my fps drops down to 30 time to time, which rates/options should I change ? (Sorry for such a questions, just I’m pretty new to this rates stuff)
And will try cl_smooth 0 bit later,thanks for replies :)

[edit] will try these settings now and post screenshot (because I don’t really know, what which numbers mean in net_graph except ping and fps :/)

rate 35000
cl_interp 0.1
cl_interp_ratio 1
cl_cmdrate 30 (previously 66)
cl_updaterate 66
cl_smooth 0 (added this)
fps_max 30 (added this)

link – net_graph1 with these settings, don’t know why, but now I’m getting some stuttering problems, without fps_max I didn’t have them I think :/

btw if I didn’t understand right which values to change,please correct me :)

Last edited by dioxid,

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from dioxid

Well my fps isn’t too good, it’s about 50-60,but sometimes it drops down to about 30 (avarage about 45-50 I guess).
With WinXP it was ok,but now, with Win7 I need to use Chris’s highframes.cfg (inbetween maxframes and moreframes) instead of moreframes.cfg (good quality, good fps).

So if my fps drops down to 30 time to time, which rates/options should I change ? (Sorry for such a questions, just I’m pretty new to this rates stuff)
And will try cl_smooth 0 bit later,thanks for replies :)

[edit] will try these settings now and post screenshot (because I don’t really know, what which numbers mean in net_graph except ping and fps :/)

rate 35000
cl_interp 0.1
cl_interp_ratio 1
cl_cmdrate 30 (previously 66)
cl_updaterate 66
cl_smooth 0 (added this)
fps_max 30 (added this)

link – net_graph1 with these settings, don’t know why, but now I’m getting some stuttering problems, without fps_max I didn’t have them I think :/

btw if I didn’t understand right which values to change,please correct me :)

If your FPS is dropping down to 30 there is nothing you can do to avoid it, because the ETF2L config limits the minimum cmdrate you can set to 40 (so when it drops below that problems may occur).

Best you can do is:

rate 35000
cl_interp 0.1
cl_interp_ratio 1
cl_cmdrate 40
cl_updaterate 66
fps_max 30 <<< REMOVE THIS LINE

also win7 is shit for gaming on pretty much any system, it’s worse than vista when it comes to eating up your frames.

What you might want to do in addition to using my config is lower your resolution a bit, it might help you get some more frames.

Don’t cap the FPS to 30 by the way or you will get constant warping because you will never satisfy your cmdrate.

Last edited by octochris,

dioxid

<^^><

Well ok, thanks Chris.
And yeah, I agree that Win7 isn’t good for gaming, I did even enjoy WinXp more than Vista/7, but well anyways, thanks for your help, maybe will try to somehow increase my fps to be more stable and at about 50+ no 60- :)

Btw I’m playing at 1920×1080 res., could that make big or not so big impact on my fps? Maybe will try to experiment with your maxframes config too, to see how much fps boost I get

Last edited by dioxid,

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from Pyle

[…]

cl_smooth 0 al geprobeerd ?

Isn’t that like ultrabad vs people with packetloss and such? I found it smooths out the scout running animation a bit making it easier to hit with hitscan.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from dioxid

Btw I’m playing at 1920×1080 res., could that make big or not so big impact on my fps? Maybe will try to experiment with your maxframes config too, to see how much fps boost I get

That will cost you, when going up the resolutions for your aspect ratio the amount of pixels displayed is exponential… try 1280 x 720 and see if it makes a difference

dioxid

<^^><

Thanks again Chris, now I did use your moreframes cfg (instead of highframes), and 1280×720 res. (previously 1920×1080), and I had about 120fps(fps seems little bit jumpy, from about 80 goes down to 50 to 40 to 60 etc and vica versa) at 2fort(lol) spawn, but after that I joined server with less people (about 10-12), and here are my results with:
moreframes.cfg
1280×720 res.

rate 35000
cl_interp 0.1
cl_interp_ratio 1
cl_cmdrate 66
cl_updaterate 66

link to net_graph1 with new settings on

How are rates looking now? Better? Worse? I have no idea :/ (atleast got better fps :) )

Last edited by dioxid,

octochris

(0v0)

if you regularly dipping below 66 you don’t want to be using it as your cmdrate, lower it to whatever you won’t dip below (lowest 40).

AuguR

Quoted from octochris

[…]

Orange does not indicate a problem, yellow does.

White is good if you want to make sure you don’t go into the yellow though.

So is it better to be orange or yellow? Getting mixed responses here. I play scout and some people are telling me to get a white lerp and use cl_interp 0.033, where others are telling me to go Orange with a interp of 0.015

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from AuguR

[…]

So is it better to be orange or yellow? Getting mixed responses here. I play scout and some people are telling me to get a white lerp and use cl_interp 0.033, where others are telling me to go Orange with a interp of 0.015

orange = a warning that you need every update to come through successfully from the server
yellow = a warning that you missed an update

One is just saying ‘you need to get every single update’, one says ‘you missed the update’ (causes warping/teleporting opponents etc), if you get the difference.

AuguR

Quoted from octochris

[…]

orange = a warning that you need every update to come through successfully from the server
yellow = a warning that you missed an update

One is just saying ‘you need to get every single update’, one says ‘you missed the update’ (causes warping/teleporting opponents etc), if you get the difference.

So is a constant white better than a constant orange?

franco

Orange > white > yellow if its completely sustainable

Otherwise white > orange > yellow

If you use windows 7 you can disable aero (the flashy desktop stuff) while tf2 is running to increase frames. Go to the HL2 icon in your team fortress 2 folder (C:Program Files Steam steamapps accnamexxx team fortress 2), view properties, go to compatibility and check the box “disable desktop composition”.

As a sort of indication for resolution and fps, while playing tf2 at 1920×1080 I’m forced to use m0res fps config (while staying above 66 fps). However when I lower my resolution to say 1280×720 I can run tf2 with max graphics and have no fps problems.

One more thing. Running tf2 in windowed mode will lower fps slightly too, full screen is a bit annoying cus of alt tabbing and the issues it causes but it will be easier on your frames.

Last edited by franco,

Fox

fleisch!

Chris, you seem to be quite knowledgable, yet I don’t get why you recommend higher cmdrate and updaterate values (40-66) but let cl_interp stay the same. A basic rule for setting the cl_interp value is cl_interp_ratio / cl_updaterate (or server tick, whichever of the two is the lowest) + jitter. Jitter is basically about ~0.004.

This means an updaterate of 66 would be 1/66 = 0.0152 or 1/40 = 0.025 for cl_interp. That’s basically the ideal value. But like I said before you have to take jitter into consideration. I (as a scout) go by these values:

rate 50000
cl_cmdrate 66
cl_updaterate 66
cl_interp 0.034
cl_interp_ratio “2.0”

In this case interp_ratio / updaterate is 2/66 which is about 0.030. Adding the jitter I end up with 0.034 which is perfectly fine. No yellow lerp, no packet loss, no lags etc. (I’ve once tried the original value without jitter ~0.030 and had packet loss)
The values mentioned above are for a good and stable connection.

For a worse and less stable connection I would recommend these values:

rate 25000
cl_cmdrate 40
cl_updaterate 40
cl_interp 0.054
cl_interp_ratio “2.0”

Last edited by Fox,

Rockas

IDM.

I’ve got a little problem, when im in game updaterate shows 60 and then my cl_interp is 0.016667 or smth like that. So how can i fix that my updaterate would always be 66, because i want to have my cl_interp 0.0152? ;?

heres my net settings :
rate “30000”
cl_cmdrate “66”
cl_interp “0.0152”
cl_lagcompensation “1”
cl_updaterate “66”
cl_smooth “0”
cl_smoothtime “0.01”
cl_interp_threadmodeticks “0”
cl_pred_optimize “2”
cl_interp_ratio “1”

quad

Quoted from Rockas

I’ve got a little problem, when im in game updaterate shows 60 and then my cl_interp is 0.016667 or smth like that. So how can i fix that my updaterate would always be 66, because i want to have my cl_interp 0.0152? ;?

heres my net settings :
rate “30000”
cl_cmdrate “66”
cl_interp “0.0152”
cl_lagcompensation “1”
cl_updaterate “66”
cl_smooth “0”
cl_smoothtime “0.01”
cl_interp_threadmodeticks “0”
cl_pred_optimize “2”
cl_interp_ratio “1”

exec etf2l config on server
or sv_maxupdaterate 66

Last edited by quad,

Fox

fleisch!

If it shows 60 then the server runs on tick 60, you can’t do anything about it clientside.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 Next »