Forum

Smoothness :/

Created 31st March 2010 @ 11:03

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

achy

Hey guys, I have been messing around with my settings in tf2 for a while now. It turns out that i have not found a way to make the game run smoothly while having nice gfx. Have any of you found a way? or maybe have tips to help?

Abhorrence

Well “smooth” fps can be subjective. You can turn down AA/AF/Enable Multi-core rendering and get good performance on high settings, alternatively, you can run the game in DX8 with settings turned up, which gives it a good performance-to-visuals ratio I think.

Depending on what you think is smooth, add “fps_max X” cvar into you autoexec, it’ll force a constant fps, note that this won’t work if you’re running at very high settings with a not-so-good PC. X is the fps value, i.e fps_max 75.

Lastly, you can also try fps configs, some of these give huge performance boosts. Some sacrifice visuals whilst others try to find an even sweet spot. Both m0re and Quantum offer nice configs.

Quantum’s Little cfg – http://etf2l.org/forum/general/topic-8577/?recent=143173
m0re FPS cfg – http://m0re.nocrits.com/index.php?site=files&cat=1

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Abhorrence,

achy

Thank you m8

octochris

(0v0)

If you’re wanting to maintain decent graphics whilst getting good fps you might want to take a look at my moreframes config which was designed specifically for that purpose.

You could also just give it up since this game is a jittery POS even at 500 FPS.

Waster

Quoted from Fluffy Meowington

You could also just give it up since this game is a jittery POS even at 500 FPS.

Maybe you should check your netsettings. High fps doesnt guarantee that nothing can jitter or warp.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

cl_smoothtime , up that to 0.1 again if you lowered it. I noticed it can help against laggy russians etc.

Haunter

get a 120hz monitor and it will be smooth :D

Abhorrence

Quoted from achy

Thank you m8

No worries. :)

aksu

Recently my game has been lagging if fps is less than about 120, I’ve tried all kinds of tricks from reinstalling to different cfg’s to different display frequenzies and nothing helps. I had to start using m0re’s fps config again to be able to play smooth game. Few months ago the game ran just fine when fps was just over 60, now it’s unplayable like that.

Abhorrence

Quoted from aksu

Recently my game has been lagging if fps is less than about 120, I’ve tried all kinds of tricks from reinstalling to different cfg’s to different display frequenzies and nothing helps. I had to start using m0re’s fps config again to be able to play smooth game. Few months ago the game ran just fine when fps was just over 60, now it’s unplayable like that.

Other games run fine? Did you modify the tickrate/interp cvars? Can you be more descriptive in the lag you get? Does it frame/stutter/pause-continue or just it just feels like you’re playing on a very low fps?

Quoted from Waster

[…]
Maybe you should check your netsettings. High fps doesnt guarantee that nothing can jitter or warp.

Not sure we’re talking about the same thing, what I mean with jitter is that it feels like 20 fps at 75fps/hz (avg uncapped fps at max settings are 200+). Might be wrong but I don’t see how that would relate to netsettings, other player’s movement etc looks fine, the game just…jitters.

Last edited by Fluffy Meowington,

Gaarulf

UP|

My game runs at 120fps almost all the time, but it feels like I am playing with 50 and dropping down to 30 every second.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Fluffy Meowington

[…]
Not sure we’re talking about the same thing, what I mean with jitter is that it feels like 20 fps at 75fps/hz (avg uncapped fps at max settings are 200+). Might be wrong but I don’t see how that would relate to netsettings, other player’s movement etc looks fine, the game just…jitters.

“jitter” is a technical term related to ping, which is probably why people are getting confused.

Quoted from octochris

[…]

“jitter” is a technical term related to ping, which is probably why people are getting confused.

Yah, can’t think of a different term to describe the shitty lagjitterfailfullnessment that is this game at high FPS though, and conveniently enough “jitter” is a real word in the english language, and suited to describe what I mean. :P It’s almost as if static objects were moving left and right by 1mm when you look around/move, giving the illusion of low FPS, but it’s just that the game is a ridonkulous piece of shit.

Anyway, just had to vent (so much rage), gonna leave before the blind 20 fps fanclub of “doesn’t jitter for me hurr durr”* catches me spreading hate about their favourite rpgfps.

*Not referring to anyone specific there but feel free to flame me anyway.

Last edited by Fluffy Meowington,

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »