Forum

How to determine skill ?

Created 23rd September 2008 @ 08:43

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Iller

tGa

I have been thinking a bit about how you go about to determining your skill level.
Is there some sort of criteria for the different levels or is it just up to each one to decide for themselves ?

crz

T4F

I think everybody is determining his skill by themeself. But I think the longer you play the better you get, especially in tf2. Due to random damage aiming and movement isn’t that important like it’s in other games like q3 / ut / warsow etc.
A lot of 6vs6 wars is important for getting a feeling of which ways you have to go and stuff like this. Also playing a lot with the same ppl is important, for getting a feeling of theire gameplay which is needed for trusting that they do theire job right.

This didn’t mean tha aiming and movement is not needed in tf2. Having the feeling, the aim and the movement is needed for playing in the top divisions.

Byte wrote an article on cadred as I remember which was telling the game feeling thing nicely.

And thats only my personal opinion.

I think the word skill exist out of different “minor skills”

For individual skill you got: intellegence, moving, teamwork, communication, jumping technique, dodging, aiming…

for teamskill you got: Communication as team, teamwork, individual skill of players, tactics,…

If someone or a team scoors bad on those points, u got a low skilled team, if its medium, u got medium skilled and if its exceptional than its high :p

nvc

crz hit the nail on the head

for example, i may have stupidly good aim in quake, but playing tf2 scout is alot different because there is random spread and damage – meaning that although i may be able to hold my dot on the player all day long, half the time not all of my scatter gun or pistol is hitting every time, and if it does, sometimes the damage is very different

for that reason, to say highskill is more down with how well you play with your teammates, it is very rare that you will be highskilled with team A and then be highskilled instantly with team B – you need to learn how eachother plays, and being good with comms (being able to talk, aim, move and listen) is what to me, makes a good player in tf2

N/A

RaWr ::

One thing I must say.. The score board never represents how good a player is.

true :)

light

IT ******* DOES!!!

Please behave your self, don’t use not normal language on forums. -Fenrir-

Jh

Hey dats!

you go into #mpuktf2.pickup and type !skill

im such a joker i know

Haunter

to determine ur skill u have to ask boomting… he’s the only one who rates players without lying to them :D

Puppets

do you make sure i wont be kicked as i type !skill al the time cause no answer is coming :D

Sellrion

There are no perfect ways to determine your skill. One good player can do nothing for his bad team in TF2. Ability to teamplay, movement, aiming, brain turned on ect. – that is your skill.
One thing I must say.. The score board never represents how good a player is.
Oh, no! I thought medics are the best players of the world… :D

Iller

tGa

Hmm, my friends told me to push f10 to see my skill, but instead I left the game…
Then I tried again with the same effect.

Seriously, I agree a lot with what you write here.
Teamwork is of course crucial to this game (which is one of the reasons I like this game a lot).
So your ability to cooperate with your teammates should be considered a part of your skill.

But what about clanless people seeking clans ?
Usually people write that they are low+, mid+ or whatever. Do they mean that they have the potential of beeing of that skill level if they find a team and everything works out fine with the communication ?
And doesn’t that then depend on how good the teammates are ?

What if you are quite crappy on teamplay and communication and join a high skilled team. Then your teammates abilities will compensate a bit for your own shortcomings. Does this then make you higher skilled than if you would have been playing in a low skill team ?

My point is that it seems hard to include your ability to work as a team together with your teammates as a part of your skill when seeking a clan.
Therefore I suspect that most people just think about their individual skill (aiming, jumping, dodging, etc) when they write their skill.
Perhaps some people just say they have the same skill as their previous team.

Then I also agree on that the scoreboard doesnt tell you much of how good you are.
If all your kills are medics, then I guess its quite ok to have half the score of the rest of your teammates :-)

Jh

Hey dats!

“If all your kills are medics, then I guess its quite ok to have half the score of the rest of your teammates :-)”

^this

/offtopic
i think it’s a bit unfortunate the game revolves mostly around the medic and his uber. but im not complaining either.

Iller

tGa

Offtopic : Yes, I also think the game revolves a bit too much around the medic and the uber.
One solution could perhaps be to place more medpacks around the map or perhaps come up with some way to uber yourself without a medic (like the pentagram in old quake..).

On the other hand, that would change the game to something enitirely different…

Ontopic :
One reason to ask my question is that I try to determine my own skill if I were about to seek a new clan. My team is playing in division 4 and we loose every match we play (mainly because we have no real tactics and most players are only active during matches).
I don’t want to give up because I am loosing, but if I loose I want to improve things as much as I can to prevent it from happening again, which is a bit hard if people are not active.

Individually my skill is much higher than the average div5/div4 soldier and I think noone is has more play time as solly than me (870 hours). I also do well when I mix with better teams. I am also very motivated to get better and possesses some intelligence (PhD in Mathematics, if this is relevant.), so I am quite able to quickly learn new tactical skills.

Probably I would say I am around mid+ in individual skill, but its hard to know.

Sellrion

One solution could perhaps be to place more medpacks around the map or perhaps come up with some way to uber yourself without a medic (like the pentagram in old quake..).
If so, then the game will revolve around that medipacks and pentagrams. :) Medic and his uber is TF2 indeed, so please stop climbing about that…

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »