Forum

cp_glacier, a gravelpit style map in a winter theme

Created 8th July 2009 @ 03:31

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 Next »

Arjeni

My advice to you Acegikmo would be to listen to what moose, indey, kyynel, funky and exe said.

+1

oma

+1 to all

oma

A feels too hard to defend so usually everyone goes straight to B because its a lot easier to defend

Acegikmo

-disco-

A feels too hard to defend so usually everyone goes straight to B because its a lot easier to defend

The reason everyone goes to B is because B is closer to the red spawnroom.
A is very defendable in public play, but not as much in competitive play though.

Doesn’t it seem like a bit of a dichotomy to be saying B’s much easier to defend and at the same time arguing to take out the bridge that clearly helps Blu attack B? I guess it was different people making the points but it’s still seems like these two arguments collide a little bit.

Personally I can see the problem with the fence on the bridge (as having snipers peeking through the slats of the fence does seem a bit cheap) but the bridge itself I don’t think is necessarily unbalancing with some slight tweaking. Maybe try altering the fence to make it so it’s less effective cover (or if necessary remove it entirely on the side facing the point) while opening up the bit that M0re mentioned to red.. then people can have another look at it :)

MangyCarface

Doesn’t it seem like a bit of a dichotomy to be saying B’s much easier to defend and at the same time arguing to take out the bridge that clearly helps Blu attack B? I guess it was different people making the points but it’s still seems like these two arguments collide a little bit.

Welcome to the wonderful word of map critique. It’s up to the mapmaker to resolve these various differing player experiences into changes. Luckily, the mapmaker is almost always the player who has seen the most battles on his map, played the most iterations, tried the most options and constructs the varying disadvantages and advantages for each team to create an experience different from the stock maps.

Acegikmo

-disco-

Beta 2 is now out!
Check out FPSB again and you can download it there:

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/101085

tarmo-

<3 Fruit

added mirror: http://www.nocrits.com/maps/cp_glacier_b2.bsp.bz2

zar

Wow, Acegikmo, a mapper who actually gives a fuck!

That’s what i respect, thanks for the great map and hope you’ll fix those little nuances m0re and moose were talking about.

Peace.

tragett

hes a swede ofc he gives a fuck! i played this in a pub (Alpha stage) it will probably be veeeeeeeery tactical and use lot of different classes for those 6 that are allowed, i guess that this will be a fun highlander map when it will be released :)

Moose

[MIPC]

Still, the sniper hell at B remains. The map is awarding the bad (public style) sniping where you’re able to sit and camp in one place without much fear of being flanked or anything. The map would be far more interesting if the spawn were closer to A side rather than B. That would encourage most teams to set up their defenses to A instead of B and I’d say that side works a lot better than B as it is. If the defending team has an exceptionally skilled sniper or two, they might want to go to B instead and this would provide some variety to the tactics.

As it is, I don’t think the map is suited for competitive play. At all.

eoN^

REALLY needs optimized etc and it crashed my game once when i was in the icy water :S

Acegikmo

-disco-

The release candidate is now out!
The only gameplay changes I’ve made is that two medpacks at B which were medium is now small, and that you can no longer shoot between the planks at blue’s bridge at B.
Check the first post for new screenshots and a download link! :)

Good job Acey!

The tweak to the bridge at B should hopefully alleviate the problems some people had with that point in terms of over-sniper-friendliness. There’s a long first section of fence on the bridge leading from blue spawn which snipers can’t shoot through and can’t shoot over (as it’s taller than them and they can’t stand on the ledge at its base) so to snipe you have to go about half-ish way along the bridge which significantly reduces the sight lines to B.

The only slight problem I have with this is that it’s perhaps not intuitive (as the fence style is still the same as before and it LOOKS like you should be able to shoot through it, even if you now can’t) or entirely consistent (as after that first section of fence you CAN shoot through the others). Given that you probably don’t want to re-model a totally new custom fence with no gaps in it I guess I’d be happy with you just making it so you couldn’t shoot through any of the fence sections :)

On other changes; the detailing is terrific and the aesthetics really are just beautiful :) I haven’t played on a server with other people yet though so I’ll have to reserve judgement on whether there’ll be any performance loss due to the newly added snow. I was previously having some fps drop at C in the last beta too (on a populated server) so that’s something else I still need to check out.

All in all though it looks like another great step forward :D

Leifalot

[Ci]
>sᴛ<

It’s a map AND a piece of art!

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 Next »