Forum

Valves new Demo System

Created 6th July 2009 @ 13:26

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

MeeB

[r@ts]

Just would like to inform you. We had an Interview with Robin Walker. We also asked about the function of the new planned demo system!

The whole Interview in englisch: http://www.tfportal.de/?site=article_details&id=61&lang=en

TFPortal.de: In an E-Mail you mentioned a new demo type / format which you are developing. Many players have broken demo files after downloading new updates. Can you tell us a bit about it?

Robin Walker: It’s getting close to being releasable in a beta form. The idea is that after you die or finish a round, and it was a round you were particularly happy with (maybe you scored an awesome kill, or saved the entire team with an ubercharge), you can ask the server to send you a demo of it. The server then sends you a demo that it recorded, which has the complete game state instead of just what your client saw, and it’s in a format that’s robust and won’t break as easily when we update the game. In addition, the format has a some side benefits, like supporting full backwards & forwards time scrubbing.

Cycles

lolwow

Wow, if this is true, it sounds like a great idea :)

compton

cvx|

Awesome as long as it has the option to download every round automatically from the server. :)

yin

more great fragmovies =D=D looking forward for it +1

mb

keso

Sounds great! Just one thing that bothers me is that if the server is constantly recording a demo and people are downloading demos’ from the server, will that not slow down the server?

compton

cvx|

if the server is constantly recording a demo and people are downloading demos’ from the server, will that not slow down the server?

The demos can be served from a separate web server, so bandwidth will not be a problem. CPU’s the biggest bottleneck with SourceDS, so that might cause server FPS to drop, but from what I hear Valve does that with every SourceDS patch anyway and then supply a fix for it later.

I don’t think it’s gonna be more of a problem than any other SourceDS update.

Bun

GM

Sweet, I always forget to record demos.
Now I can check my frags to without having to skip 3/4 of the demo. =D

mineral

[kpwr]

Sound pretty damn awesome :) If it works as smoothly as it sounds we’ll all save lots of time making movies :) Sweet!

alfa

^^

Awesome, may actually be able to rewind demos now.

Valve do seem to be awfully busy with TF2 still which is great to see.

iQue

keso

As long as it goes automatically and you don’t need to ask the server admin for the files, this sounds great! Looking forward to it

morf

[j]\\\'
[j]'

no fucking beta form ffs, then it wont probably work at all and all demos with the new “format” will be useless

release it when its ready

nvc

nice

nvc

As long as it goes automatically and you don’t need to ask the server admin for the files, this sounds great! Looking forward to it

+1, talking to TCM players is like talking to a brick wall, let alone when you try and get an STV from them.

klu

-[MG]-
MG//

SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »