Created 25th October 2016 @ 15:18

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 8 9 10 11 Next »

Aoshi

(Legend)
:think:
GRAHAM

Quoted from Steve!

Thanks for your response.
I’d like to clarify that organising s11 was never delegated to me and I cannot be held wholly responsible for the procrastination of the admin team.

I ask that if you think the decision is not a good compromise for the league, that it is reconsidered

Thanks again

If nobody ever feels like its their job then nobody does anything. The season already started so it would be unfair to teams to unban it now.

Steve!

S-O

Is this to say that the whitelist for s11 is final and whatever we discuss or say here won’t change that decision for the upcoming highlander season?

Goreston

Quoted from Aoshi

[…]

The season already started so it would be unfair to teams to unban it now.

If only people had discussed this before the season started. However, as we all know, no such thread ever existed, and was certainly never deleted. Absolutely not.

EmilioEstevez

GG

Quoted from Aoshi

Why would people try to limit another spy if they’re limiting their own as well? I wouldn’t as it doesn’t make sense in my eyes, a good spy will still be a good spy without the DR.

Most teams aren’t limiting their own spies though as very few actually play the DR playstyle (there were 2 spies doing it last season in prem). None of the teams who voted for the ban have a spy that can play that style effectively, which points to the weapon not being overpowered when most spies choose not to run it.

Last edited by EmilioEstevez,

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from scrambled

[…]
The reason that I asked for that, is because the reason that the razorback was argued to be banned is because with it you have to rely on your sniper to win a 1v1 to get a sniper pick in some situations, which is sometimes near essential in say product.

By the logic that you can always just spam the sniper out, surely the danger shield is perfectly balanced, because you will maybe win the 1v1s, but you’re left vulnerable to everything else, right? So surely if winning the sniper 1v1s isn’t the only way to win a game its a balanced weapon?

Re-read what I typed, I feel you have not learnt my point. I will start by keeping it simple. Go into a HL match, count the players participating on each team, then take that total, minus the sum of “1+1” (ie the amount of players you describe are involved) and give me your total. Then try to imagine this total is divided equally, then add the 2 back on to each side. The results will be surprising.

It’s not your fault, there are no bad students only bad teachers and I have failed to engage you in education.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from ondkaja

on the contrary, he could be doing work for the league instead of reading your nonsensical drivel

That is the leagues work, to answer the complaints of their community. I know it’s a not-monetary community organisation, but you don’t complain to a staff member at a shop about a problem you have for them to say “it’s not my job to deal with your complaints”. Handling unhappy community members is his role, it’s generally a thankless job but that is what you’re there for. There are limits, for example I would never expect an admin to put up with suffering abuse and there are rules in place to legislate this, personal comments about admins are unnacceptable in my views but most points raised here are valid criticisms and warrant a response.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from Aoshi

[…]

I’m not going to read through his essay and there were no question marks :/
If you give a me a summary of the questions I might answer.

I won’t give you a summary because I chose to write in that style and use examples to support arguments in order for you to understand my points and look at the evidence I present.

If you can’t be bothered to read it, then why bother replying at all? Why bother have a feedback section in the forum (I admit this discussion isn’t there). Just answer the questions I ask, I’ll be content, even if I disagree with the answers least you answered them.

oxocuboid

(ETF2L Donator)
LOOΠΔ

Quoted from Hildreth

It’s not your fault, there are no bad students only bad teachers and I have failed to engage you in education.

modded this. Really, Oxo?…

– Stinson

Last edited by oxocuboid,

Aoshi

(Legend)
:think:
GRAHAM

Quoted from Hildreth

[…]

I won’t give you a summary because I chose to write in that style and use examples to support arguments in order for you to understand my points and look at the evidence I present.

Because its hard to determine where your discussion with scrambled stops and where the questions towards admins starts. And because toast asked nicely if I could answer them. I’ll answers steve’s post instead then I guess.

Quoted from Goreston

[…]

If only people had discussed this before the season started. However, as we all know, no such thread ever existed, and was certainly never deleted. Absolutely not.

If only that thread actually contained some feedback on the weapon ban rather then 80-90% being about the method of voting and ect. The amount of shitposting in there was a lot just looking at this thread which is almost the same. Going through pages of said shitposting isn’t going to get us any proper feedback or feedback from 3-8 players.

Quoted from Steve!

[…]

Exactly the kind of lack of effort that led to this situation to begin with.

First note, these are my posts and don’t directly represent the whole decision of the admin team.

There is a difference between putting effort into preparing a season or having a 50% chance on spending your time reading a shitpost, aka the discussion with scrambled.

Quoted from Steve!

1. DR spy is comparable to sniper in the sense that it is important to deal with if the player is very good, but still more than doable, and in a variety of ways. Such as repositioning your team, comitting a player for a short time to “spot” the spy, etc. What is the league admins’ understanding of this issue? How will similar situations be resolved in the future?

Generally, as I mentioned before I was not in favour of the dead ringer ban. But comparing the whole of sniper to basically one unlock of another class kinda sounds sad. The main issue about the weapon is that its a get out of jail free card that if used with proper positioning and timing can be used every 10-20 seconds. If you combine it with somebody that has great aim you get a 2nd sniper that is really hard to kill while managing to do a lot of damage without almost ever having to put himself in danger.

The future part I’ll answer in the more expanded question.

Quoted from Steve!

2. DR and reaction to losing. How did you differentiate between gamers being salty at dying to spies and DR actually being an overpowered weapon deserving of a ban? Please state some reasons that the admin team was basing their decision on other than the majority “yes/no vote”. The players sure didn’t present many during the vote, and I’d hate for the admin decision to be as uninformed as the voting players’ (I said this last part, not Hildreth)

The dead ringer always felt like it was the less skilled part of set. You won’t blame losing a whole game on one spy(I hope at least). Yes he may play a large factor but with the logic of “people just want to ban it because they’re salty of dying to it” then there would have been way more weapon bans. But in general this question is exactly the same as the one down below.

Quoted from Steve!

3. Can you, without any doubt, confirm that the vote was not meant to target really good spies of opposite teams to make the competition easier, rather than improving the game as a whole? If you cannot, then the vote was clearly not with the good of the league and gamemode in mind, as I’m sure you can see.

Because certain players are exceptional with it doesn’t mean that they’re being singled out. These players should still preform at a respectable level even without it. None of the spies in prem are now capable of using it which does include a good chunk of them as it was a preferred weapon for a lot of the spy mains. If you were planning to get it banned just so other teams couldn’t run it then you limited your own spy as well. We opened the votes to all prem playoff participants to get a larger voting pool which should have reduced if not removed this issue.

Quoted from Steve!

4. What is the admins’ stance on questionable weapons going forward? If a majority of players decides they don’t wanna deal with a weapon, will you just ban it? If say, for example, 90% of team leaders said “ban kritzkrieg”, would you just based on that? If not, what was different about the DR ban process?

You should know this because you were an admin …
We normally only use votes as guidelines for our decisions. With this season having little time to prepare and little active HL admins to give their voice we mainly went after the vote results. Internally the admins had already been discussing the weapon and the vote just added onto it. If we have more preparation time and admins that follow the policies we can easily setup with a larger analysis time to look at whats best.

scrambled

(ETF2L Donator)

Hildreth refuses to acknowledge sniper vs sniper as being important because its a team game EleGiggle

Please tell me why danger shield is banned if svs isn’t important?

Steve!

S-O

Aoshi,
I will mainly be referring to your last paragraph and I think you bring up very valid points in the previous ones. There will be no shittalk in this post or any personal attacks, just my reasoning and opinions for the long term operations of this league.

I was told by Moist on steam that this is a change of direction for the league. That’s pretty much what I’ve been told and I have chat logs to back it up, unless it’s been hugely misunderstood.

It is good to hear that votes won’t be taken as ultimate decision making tools in the future and that this was an outlier.

I would like to however note that in the case where there is no time to make a decision, it will often be much better to not change something rashly at all and take some time to consider it for future seasons. Whether you agree or disagree with the decision at hand, I hope you can see that rushing decisions of this scale without much logic and discussion beforehand is a bad idea.

I do agree that most of this argument isn’t about DR. And that’s my intention. I’ll say it right here: the same arguments can be, and would be made by me, about this for any combination of weapons. Because what I specifically hugely disagree with is delegating too much power to a simple yes or no vote. An indication of opinion by the player base should be, in my mind, the sign for admin that an issue exists and for it to be discussed at length. I think this is what you just said would have been done if you guys had more time and I’m happy about that.

Whether the lack of DR will make for a better hl or not is yet to be seen. But the methods of deciding it, as well as the message this brings (we will ban anything as long as enough players are for it) is a bad one. I mean, the more weapons you ban the more players you alienate.

I implore everybody who currently is and who will be in the future responsible for league decisions: if you don’t have enough time to make a decision, just don’t rush it. Its far better to have a united consensus and a ready argument for your view rather than letting, well, this happen.

The season will still be really fun tf2. Hey, I might even like playing against non-dr spies, who knows. I don’t think it’ll be good for the gamemode as a whole, but if I’m proven wrong.
My issue is mainly around the fact that this season has been rushed, and as long as that’s rectified, Im happy.

Thank you for your time reading this and I hope it in some way sheds some insight into why a seemingly small whitelist decision affected me so deeply as to provoke personal insults towards others.

Peace o/

Last edited by Steve!,

Steve!

S-O

Scrambled,

The highlander gamemode consists of one of every class on both teams. We agree on this, i hope.

Hildreth Has, quite clearly to me, made no attempt at ignoring the importance of sniper vs sniper. He acknowledged other advantaged which in hl result in pushes. Whether you agree or disagree is irrelevant.

Darwin’s danger shield forces both snipers to run it as it will make one sniper have a huge advantage over the other. This is because a sniper that is quick scope head shot with DDS equipped, will take 143 damage and be left with another 7. He will also be overhealable to 225, which means he will be left with 82 health right after.

If both snipers run it, they will have a much lower risk of dying to their biggest threat on the enemy team, which is the enemy sniper. This is because the sniper rifle works on the principle of hitscan, which means that no matter the distance, one sniper can click the other on the head and kill him. Not dying immediately to a headshot is essentially like always having a buffed sniper.

I hope this isn’t too big of a logic jump for you, but assume that sniper is a strong class when executed correctly. Now let the enemy team be in a situation where they must cross through an area where a sniper can click them. They may choose to cross it regardless, or they may choose to kill that sniper first, among other options. The DDS makes it significantly harder and longer to kill a DDS sniper because a sniper rifle has to be charged before it can one shot a sniper using the DDS. When a sniper is charging, he will move very slowly and he will spend a lot of time in one place. When a sniper is forced to be in the same space for a long time on offence, he will require a lot of players around him so he is not distracted or picked off. Those players can’t be doing other things, so the objective isn’t being player around in many situations, such as most notably a payload.

I hope you can see from the above that DDS would considerably slow down the game due to the impact sniper has on the classes around him.

If you’d like, I could make some diagrams and pictures to help the argument but that might take a bit of time.

Is this clear or would you like me to explain some parts of these statements? As always, I’m happy to help.

Best regards,
3 time prem winner, 6 time pyro of the season, and the owner of the most fragile ego in the premier division,
Steve.

unu

*mic drop*

Toast

WEED
S-O

Quoted from Aoshi

[…]

1 (response 2))

I think it is unfair to say the thread didn’t contain much on the actual weapon, as it did, and it wasn’t a DR thread anyhow, it was a general feedback thread if I remember correctly. Before the whitelist was posted, since from what I’m reading the general look on the DR from the admin team was to not nessecarily ban it, so therefore the ban has to come from the vote. From what I understand the vote was close, as I couldn’t make out the exact result from the video posted. As the DR has been in the same state since well before season 9, why is it that it first now is considered OP/Broken? It is because of the vote, which was never argued for, which I think would be required considering the weapon has remained unchanged (and unbanned) for over a year, without any proper forum even discussing let alone spamming “ban the DR!” with lopsided opinions. On top of that the vote was so close, suggesting that it wasn’t very one-sided, even further requiring reason. Even looking at the tables now, if all remaining competeting teams for the ban came into prem, we would still be looking at a vote where the result would be a tie between no-ban and either Dr-ban or both ban depending on what frosties pick. And even if we consider both teams to go along with the compromise of a DR ban only, we are looking at 62% for, which is pretty close to 50% considering the lower amount of teams. These are the teams that are a by definition proved worthy of prem, and therefore to vote. If we look at other teams coming in we are looking at a 62% result against either ban, even further requiring justification.

The exact same logic follows the ban of the short circuit. Also, I don’t personally think it makes any sense to say a team would vote to ban the DR to limited the potential of other teams, because it is a commonly used item, and the spies on the respective teams would be unhappy with the decision made by their team. Hildreths example I feel is a special case, because he played with the only spy that pretty much never used the DR.

2 (response 4))

Here, first of all you are critiquing the use of comparing an unlock, which allows a special playstyle, to a class, which you do yourself in the next sentence.

Second, the game is about winning, not having good logs. The DR can give you nice logs, but it will not win you games. As I have said previously the dead ringer is only really beneficial to your team if you are skilled yourself. Staying alive doesn’t contribute to your team. The jail free card argument I feel falls short as well because you aren’t nessecarily useful just because you stay alive, and a lot of spies prove this partly just by how they play, but also because how more useful they become when they switch over to invis from time to time. Even though it is partly the point of the unlock, killing a DR spy is difficult, however it is just not impossible, and if you think about how to deal with it, it can be done without the hassle it supposedly takes. Multiple scouts have shown me this. And if it was impossible, which it isn’t, everyone would be running it all the time, which they aren’t, and even if all this was true, they wouldn’t be nessecarily be more useful to their team compared to a part time invis spy, which this game is all about; being useful. The reason to ban an unlock is if its either bugged or too good. Since it is neither of these, because if it was too good everyone would be running it ALL the time, it does boil down to the annoying argument again, since every argument, casting aside all the shitposting, for the ban in either thread has been proven not to hold up.

I also think there’s an argument to be held about how it impacts spy in general. While grenjabob disagrees with me that the watch isnt better than any other, I do think he would agree that both watches has it’s time and place in many different areas, hence the general statement that the best possible spy is one who uses both. By banning it you are taking away many places where spy has been useful previously, effectively nerfing the spy massively because there are suddenly a massive amount of areas where the class can no longer deal nearly as well as it has been since season 1. Additionally not banning razorback here, you are buffing sniper massively and nerfing spy massively, which seems weird considering sniper is generally considered a better of the two pick classes.

3 (response 5))

If we are talking about how useful you are for your team (which is what this game is about), which is proportional to how good the unlock is, then the less skill argument just doesn’t hold up either. It does not require any significant less (or more) skill to run. It is true that nobody has a hard time pressing mouse2, but that doesnt make you useful, thats just annoying because you aren’t dead and it happens repeatably. Scrambled confirmed this by saying that I was good because of things like positioning. Take those qualities away and suddenly the DR player becomes quite mediocre, as again proved by the lower skilled spies.

I suspect the misconception of the DR is easy to do well with (in proper games) comes from pugs/lobbies where people, who don’t play spy much, use it just to stay alive, but rarely do you see them dominate the game whatsoever and are, again, not as useful as they could be. In this environment the unlock is harder to deal with because there is way less teamwork involved.

If you look at the beggars, that was also an example of a weapon that people found annoying, and wanted it gone. When admins put up threads about what they want to see gone in the season, there are usually also a variety of weapons people want gone. People have different opinions and most realize that they probably can’t get it banned if they suggested it considering a large majority of people would have to agree, which doesn’t happen because people have different opinions.

Response 6 concerning the “team bans item x to make them not able to use it” and “These players should still preform at a respectable level even without it.” problem are already adressed in the response.

Id also like to respond to:

Quoted from Aoshi

[…]
The season already started so it would be unfair to teams to unban it now.

There is no way in heaven that the DR change would have caused any resulting changes in the playoffs, and the main season hasn’t actually started yet. Changes can still be done as the effects are pretty much zero. Last minute changes aren’t unheard of, see 6s.

What you have done above is exactly something I’d like to see more of from admins, as you are somewhat giving out the thought proces and having it more up for discussion. Thx.

Also, I have played with the new whitelist and my points hold up.

Last edited by Toast,

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from scrambled

Hildreth refuses to acknowledge sniper vs sniper as being important because its a team game EleGiggle

Please tell me why danger shield is banned if svs isn’t important?

Ask the admins, my view is it shouldn’t be when looking at the big picture.

I have failed you again, I am sorry. Hopefully Steve (A guy with a b4nny level TF2 brain maining a terrible class like Pyro) can educate you.

Last edited by Hildreth,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 8 9 10 11 Next »