Created 24th December 2015 @ 19:00

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

ElazulTF2

https://youtu.be/MuyLh1toFI0?t=29m40s

Merry Christmas everyone, still.

Pred

lolhl

Popcorp

It’s not Rip, as b4nny said, mm is still in alpha and working on both gamemodes is a huge stretch, especially Highlander since its much more complicated.

ElazulTF2

Quoted from Popcorp

It’s not Rip, as b4nny said, mm is still in alpha and working on both gamemodes is a huge stretch, especially Highlander since its much more complicated.

“RIP matchmaking HL (for now)”

L2Read :)

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from Popcorp

Yeah this, way b4nny is putting it is that they still want to do it, it;s just a lot harder. Makes a lot of sense to go for 6v6 anyway, less numbers, less classes to fit into the mix, more chance of a quicker game. Once they got this right, they can look at expanding it to Highlander, but 6v6 has to be a success first of all.

Very important to include a gamemode like Highlander as I don’t think 6v6 will capture the average public players imagination initially, whilst with Highlander there is more of a chance people will come into the game and competitive community.

4hp

More than that, Hildreth, I think they’re going to have a really hard time finding a balance between what the average pubber wants and the sixes gamers want when designing “Valve 6s”. And I’m almost sure a lot of people won’t be happy at the final result because those two “lines of thinking” are incompatible in so many ways.

In comparison from a philosophy standpoint HL will be easier if/when they get there. You nerf a couple things that need nerfing even in pubs like the danger shield and critacola, completely open the whitelist (ETF2L is close to that anyway), class limit of 1 so every autistic *insert shit class here* main can be happy, and most of the half-decent HL maps are official anyway, upward, badwater, lakeside, process, gully, etc. there’s your 9v9 game. Almost no compromise is needed.

(yeah I’m basically agreeing with you but putting some of my own points in it too)

Last edited by 4hp,

Raptor

BTWFC
S-O

was expected

Popcorp

6s meta will be developed by the pubbers themselves, if you played MvM when it first came out, nobody knew what classes to run, later after lots of people played it, people started suggesting a proper line-up for MvM and then it spread across whole Tf2 community and now we see 1 Scout, 1 Solly, 1 Demo, 1 Heavy, 1 Engie and 1 Medic in MvM, in standard ones at least, I know some MvM nerds like to challenge themselves by trying out different setups.

But MvM lineup is close to 6s lineup, I won’t be surprised if the same thing that happened to MvM will be applied to 6s, it will just take some time to see people say in chat/voicechat “We don’t need a Spy, we need 2 Scouts” or something similar. You just need to give this Matchmaking some time until people adopt 6s meta.

As for Highlander, it’s much more complicated, you have to make a system where people will pick their desired classes (like in Tf2Center) before they actually join MM servers or else you will see 5 people complaining that they didn’t get their precious Spy/Pyro spot and eventually ragequit. So first you have to make matchmaking system that works, and 6s is good for that because there are no class limits, so you don’t need that Tf2Center system where you pick your class before you play.

And lets be honest, highlander is like a pub, if you’re waiting for mostly Highlander matchmaking, then I would recommend you to play our already existing glorified pubs known as Tf2Center lobbies, or if you want, Valve pubs. :)

Lurkki

SCOOPER
MUUMIT

If you make a queue where you don’t choose classes more often than not none of the 6 players wants to go medic for example or ends up not getting the class they want. For example I’m shit at demo and I shouldn’t lose rank just because my good classes are taken.

walters

Quoted from Lurkki

If you make a queue where you don’t choose classes more often than not none of the 6 players wants to go medic for example or ends up not getting the class they want. For example I’m shit at demo and I shouldn’t lose rank just because my good classes are taken.

Learn to play other classes too!

KesPenguen

Quoted from walters

[…]

its not the case, there is a still possiblitty to queue up with 6 people which not a medic main.I dont think its possible to make a matchmaking system that you choose your class after you join, or else you can kick the guys who dont pick medic/demo like mvm but it will be a total cancer tho…

4hp

Quoted from Popcorp

6s meta will be developed by the pubbers themselves,

If the MM ruleset is different the meta will be different too. That’s mostly what I was getting to. You’ll see heavies whipped to mid throwing sandwiches at bombed medics and repositioning with GRU, engies with gunslinger guarding perma snipers or wrangling and rescue ranging their level 3 at last, possibly more than one demo or one medic if the rules allow it, all sorts of shenanigans.

While in HL the whitelist is barely an issue, in 6s there are a few key items and class restrictions that allow the game to be minimally fluid and from what we know it seems unlikely that Valve is willing to impose them to a similar extent on their game.

While MM might be fun in the end, there’s a considerable chance the meta will be very different from the 6s played in leagues, arguably less fun with more stalemate-inducing classes and loadouts. What happens then? Do pubbers get introduced to a gamemode that effectively isn’t “comp” in matchmaking and then those interested in comp find out they have to get used to a totally different ruleset? Or do the leagues conform their 6s to “Valve’s game”, with possibly a minority clinging on to the current format? It’s a tough one.

Last edited by 4hp,

Tseini

Damn!
0FO

Quoted from walters

[…]

I agree with this when talking about MM. You cant join ranked games in mobas and say “mid or feed” if you get last pick. Bad example but you get what i mean. If doing soloq i think bigger problem will be offclassing too much like me :^)

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

etf2l copies mm or it dies, surely.

sorsa

mooz

etf2l or mm?

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »