Forum

Valve and Competitive TF2

Created 29th April 2015 @ 12:05

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 Next »

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Great news and more than we can ever have asked from Valve!

It would be a shame to see this opportunity wasted by our leagues to get new players.

bluR-

Gungaginga

Quoted from prof

A first person shooter that was released 8 years ago is still getting new features and updates. What’s not to love?

Yes, but those updates are not to keep the game ‘alive’. Valve is getting rich by every update they release with new hats and stupid items and yet, after 8 years they think about getting comp mm into tf2, wow :~).

le : and I bet this big MM update will be a new way to Valve to get more money, to soak everything.

Last edited by bluR-,

prof

Quoted from bluR-

[…]

Yes, but those updates are not to keep the game ‘alive’. Valve is getting rich by every update they release with new hats and stupid items and yet, after 8 years they think about getting comp mm into tf2, wow :~).

le : and I bet this big MM update will be a new way to Valve to get more money, to soak everything.

Who cares why it’s happened? Better late than never!

GeaR

Epsilon

Quoted from Selek

[…]

When was TF2’s prime in your opinion? The player base has been surprisingly stable in the last years, there was a huge influx of new players after it went F2P. It is consistently ranked in the top 3/4 of the most played games in Steam as well.

http://steamcharts.com/app/440#All

You could argue that tf2’s prime was over when leagues or regular tournaments dropped tf2, but for me it’s when the constant coverage died sometime in between i49 an i52. I loved this game and wanted it to be so much more. I always tried to treat it like a real e-sport, but not only Valve played their role in preventing but also a part of the community by screaming for vanilla and the common lack of participation outside of etf2l. I really don’t want to start a discussion on those two topics here, but for me those are the reasons competitive tf2 never made it out of its box, at least from our side.

I respect Valve for putting effort in tf2 and who knows, maybe it’ll pay off somehow :)

Last edited by GeaR,

Useless

TC.Noobas

Quoted from bluR-

[…]

Would make sense to have at least a one time fee to play match making. Afterall you only pay for CS:GO once and then play as much as you like. However if it is like MvM with tickets then it is confirmed just another cash scheme.

m00n

Very interesting to see where they will take this, its a bit late though, but who knows, they might throw some money at events.

AB

Quoted from GeaR

[…]

You could argue that tf2’s prime was over when leagues or regular tournaments dropped tf2, but for me it’s when the constant coverage died sometime in between i49 an i52. I loved this game and wanted it to be so much more. I always tried to treat it like a real e-sport, but not only Valve played their role in preventing but also a part of the community by screaming for vanilla and the common lack of participation outside of etf2l. I really don’t want to start a discussion on those two topics here, but for me those are the reasons competitive tf2 never made it out of its box, at least from our side.

I respect Valve for putting effort in tf2 and who knows, maybe it’ll pay off somehow :)

Can’t comment on the rest but the coverage has been insane lately. Tftv covered every prem match last season and their production value for esea lan was as good as I’ve seen.

RTC

I don’t play Dota much, but I remember talking to a friend about how dreadful matchmaking was. Rather than making sure that the teams all have players of an equal skill, they make sure the teams themselves have the same overall ranking. If the same system is used, it’s going to result in a 10 hour player like “rodriguez3950” being placed against Lazybear for example, which is nonsensical.

4hp

It’s good. It may feel late for those of us who’ve been playing for years and are either retiring or close to it, but the main positive thing about it is that it will be like a big flashing light to new players and pubbers in general saying “hey guys, this game has a competitive side to it, and it’s really fun, come try it out”. And that’s what any competitive game or sport needs to be alive, new blood. You can’t have people complaining the game is dead because TLR or Mike left or mix^ folded. But now there’s much more hope that new big names will emerge to replace them. When Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi retires people will already be hyping up new players as the best of the world in football. And when the TF2 names we’ve come to know retire it needs to be the same thing.

Last edited by 4hp,

R4ndom

Devon

Quoted from 4hp

It may feel late for those of us who’ve been playing for years and are either retiring or close to it

Even though I agree with this quote. I also want to point out that many players decided on this change to come back to tf2 or to simply postpone this retirement. We can’t form opinions yet on how it’ll be played or how the flow of the thing will be. Just hype yourselves too much otherwise you’ll be disappointed at one point.

Feri

MF

I’m wondering if it’ll take as long time to find a server as MvM on its first day… and how many russians I’m going to meet 8)

MEGAMIDDIE

PINT

Quoted from Feri

I’m wondering if it’ll take as long time to find a server as MvM on its first day… and how many russians I’m going to meet 8)

I’m imagining you could block the east europe and russian servers, like people do on cs:go

Feri

MF

Quoted from MEGAMIDDIE

[…]

I’m imagining you could block the east europe and russian servers, like people do on cs:go

Ahh, possibly that would be great option to have

Gentleman Jon

Quoted from Hildreth

Great news and more than we can ever have asked from Valve!

It would be a shame to see this opportunity wasted by our leagues to get new players.

The main promotional boost is going to be streaming, viewers will see people playing ETF2L and ESEA. It’ll mostly be on the streamers to guide people to the right places.

Gladia

DA!

Great!

I’ll be back!!

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 Next »