Created 25th December 2014 @ 15:17

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 13 Next »

Bulow

GG

Author recognised me in a pub, that’s all I care about #notorious

rockie

Quoted from Phnx

[…]
I don’t think that people will hate new comers in even mixes and scrims with them if they listen to calls and try their best.

it’s not about hatred, it’s about shittalking :>

ultimarory

(:3)

Quoted from Bulow

Notorious B.A.D. more like #REKT

Max

Fusion

What most people here don’t realize is that these “new people that are trying to get into comp” are mostly consisting of 13 – 15 year olds. They aren’t exactly mature and they are going through puberty so they are going to be insecure as fuck.

nijoonen

Gaston
8-)

Quoted from Bulow

BIG BULOW YO

People are saying competitive dying, but it’s most alive it could ever be now? I don’t get this logic. Maybe what people are saying by “comp is dying” is that it’s not big enough in comparision to CS scene for example.

Hot

replace is dying by has no future and u get the idea

RTC

I could knock up an extended piece of writing about the massive problems that these bring to any sort of community, but quite honestly, I’d be a hypocrite. I’ve certainly noticed myself commit the same acts I consider myself vehemently against recently.

To keep a gargantuan point short, it’s a matter of attitude, perceptions and reinforced barricades in the competitive TF2 society and culture. People act like dicks or circlejerk because it leaves an impression on people, whether positive or negative. It becomes more of a problem with users higher up the competitive ladder because of the influence and identity they have as someone higher up the metaphoric food chain. As much as I despise this outlook, I’m no stranger to it, and I’m very disappointed in myself for doing so (look at sl4w’s recruitment post. Whilst I detest sl4w due to the fact that he made some personal comments about someone I care about, and his general attitude, what I was doing was not constructive, and not something I gave the light of day to think deeply about; it doesn’t help me because I was pointed out as incorrect when I flew too close to the sun with my attitude and perception, and it shouldn’t offend sl4w because if I don’t give these thoughts the light of day, why should he?). It doesn’t represent who I truly am, and this social mask has made me look like a dick to quite a few people who actually do like me for who I truly am (to the point of them messaging me saying that I’ve changed).

Maybe I’ll write something up another time very much in the vein of an article, but for now, I’m going to leave it at that. Just going to reply to something Kaneco said earlier though. To his credit, he raises some good points in the rest of his post, but this is something I want to address.

Quoted from Kaneco

1- anything inherently competitive will have a more aggressive and unforgiving atmosphere to it. That’s just the nature of competition. I don’t know if u played sports as a kid but it worked pretty much like that. If u really want to get good, deal with it.

No.

I don’t play competitive TF2 to win or for glory, and I can assure you that other players don’t too. I play it because I have fun playing with people on a similar skill level as me, giving me a fair challenge to improve as a player. As a direct consequence of this, I meet people on the same wavelength, and make friends who also want to improve. I consider myself perceptive, so I can also relate to players just getting started and players in my position in the community who are relatively content with where they are at the moment. What I can’t relate to is people who talk down to people for simply wanting to improve.

I really think people like yourself lose perspective that it’s just a game. Whilst it’s fine to take the game seriously to a certain extent, if you’re playing simply to win, and attacking anyone that stops you in that path, you either need a serious attitude adjustment or to find a different hobby, because it’s pretty clear you aren’t enjoying what you’re doing if it comes to that. You’re not going to win all the time, that’s the nature of not only TF2, but life in general. Sure, it’s annoying if you lose due to circumstances out of your control (it’s a natural human reaction), but please don’t tell me you’ve never had a bad game or made a crucial mistake before. Instead of wasting your time insulting people for it, why not either conserve that energy to not comment on it, or better yet, use that energy more positively to constructively criticise that person. Even a comment like “Your rollouts are so shit, you need to practice them”, whilst somewhat insulting, expresses both your frustration (a natural feeling) and actually offers some wisdom to the person in question.

Apologises if I came off as insulting, because you actually do make some intelligent points, but I can’t stand that thought process.

Last edited by RTC,

roban

:-)

If I was a pubber only I would feel quite uncomfortable if some people with their playcomp.tf tags would come at me like “DO YOU HAVE A MOMENT TO TALK ABOUT COMPETITIVE TF2?”, they are like jehovah’s witnesses

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from Bulow

Proof TF2 is a dead game.

Quoted from WARHURYEAH

I have never met anyone that does this at all during my time in top of TF2

have you meet forsak3n? (playing low divs mixes). a div6 portuguese team wanted to scrim, they asked for div 5 and they got an answer from irc. when they started joining the server they were playing agains’t him and a few others high divs players. just answering his questions though, don’t get flamed plzz

MIGHTY BURGER ツ

It is normal for long time players to eventually move on. A league declines not when the old guard leaves, but when the fresh blood stops coming. That’s what happened to tfc. People eventually stopped coming, and the leagues slowly whittled away. It’s simply not the case for TF2.

As for the “image issue”:
Are non-trader pubbers who poured hundreds of hours into this game really afraid to get their feet wet and are intimidated by compies ? I don’t really believe it, and the participation in the HLCC and HLO reinforce this belief. They are not lazy and don’t see us as a scary bunch

What you need to understand once and for all is that compies are like a tribe, with their own language, codes and customs. And even for motivated and good willed novices, these can seem puzzling at first, even intimidating (remember the days when you didn’t know what shithouse and lunchbox were and felt like a dumbass ?). It takes some effort for the newcomer to get into it and learn, but it also requires the tribesmen to take some distance to realize that what is obvious to them is not for others.
The same is true (to varying degrees) for MvMers, Jailbreak adepts, prophunters, Freak Fortress freaks…

Quoted from Kaneco

1- anything inherently competitive will have a more aggressive and unforgiving atmosphere to it. That’s just the nature of competition. I don’t know if u played sports as a kid but it worked pretty much like that. If u really want to get good, deal with it.

Gee I don’t really know. I’ve played rugby for many years and participated in a few tournaments, but I can’t say that I ever felt such an atmosphere. In fact, I would rather argue that playing sports teaches you that any such activity should be enjoyed first and foremost for its own sake. To put it another way, it teaches you the value of sportsmanship.
And sometimes I must say that the way teams and players behave in the small world of HL is just not cricket. And the higher you go, the more you encounter those little words and actions, which you end up ignoring even if they get tiresome after a while.

To me, this attitude comes from a warped perception of what is at stake in competitions like these. The thought that the medals (or rather what they are supposed to symbolize), the reputation and the position in a division is the be-all and end-all of the game is just ridiculous.

What started my interest for competitive and still makes me enjoy it today is really its cooperative aspect; map-talking and discussing strategies, asking and being asked to help at specific positions, cheering up stressed up mates when moral is low, knowing that your (relevant) calls matter, the trust that you have for your own teammates’ calls/ main call, that moment when you coordinate and put your faith in that one push, etc etc etc

Call me naive, but I would see the promotion of this cooperation/communication/camaraderie aspect as a good way to attract more candidates. Playing for fun (in a not selfish way, with others rather than at their expense) and for the fair challenge, with a prize and bragging rights to further whet your appetite :)

This and organizing more comp related events. Had it not been for the KK Lo-Fi Offclass cup (where I motivated other people from my pub community server to form a team, which laid the foundations for the Lazynutters HL team, which has played every season since S2) and the IDK Newbie Mixes (and awesome mentors like Beater), you I probably would not be annoying you with my posts today.

Merry Christmas

rviens

Game’s been dead for years now. Only thing that somewhat brings it back to life (even for a few weeks) are the i series lans. Anyone who’s played this game for over a year knows that the game’s a lost cause and literally nothing can be done about it, unless, miraculously, some crazy motherfucker at Valve actually decides to read all the help messages from NA and EU but we know that’s never happening. Let’s face it – Valve makes money off pubbers buying shitty items from their store, and they don’t need TF2 competitive to be alive to actually make money off the game.

You can’t compare Dota or CSGO to TF2 because those two games actually had a prequel that was ALIVE. Wow, right? Those two games were notorious for their competitive side. Just the nature of the games actually makes the game competitive, whilst look at TF2 and you get cancer from all those shitty ass unlocks and highlander.

Only way to make competitive TF2 alive:
Hope for help from Valve (let’s face it – never happening) and turn our beloved 6v6 into highlander because promoting a game mode that doesn’t use all classes is just poor business planning.

If you are hoping to turn pro and actually make money off TF2 – wrong game.
If you want to have a small community of people to play video games with at a low to high level, at the cost of your time and just to have fun – right game.

TF2 is what, 7-8 years old? Competitive was around for the same amount of time, and yet, it’s never been supported by Valve.

TL;DR:

These threads are a waste of time and just discussing this is pointless. Unless you are a millionaire or you are LITERALLY Valve, you are not bringing this game back to life.

Kengur

Quoted from rviens

You can’t compare Dota or CSGO to TF2 because those two games actually had a prequel that was ALIVE.

you are too young to remember stuff

Hajdzik

SUAVY
ㄕサ

Backing up Cherry with his thoughts, competetive isn’t dying. TF2 isn’t dying either. TF2 has propably best community compared to others, I don’t like shittalking, so I don’t do it and avoid people like that, people decide who to hang out with in TF2 and it isn’t a reason to not compete. TF2 will never be big as CS GO or DOTA, but it is fun to play, we need just people who are involved and organise stuff. But there will be rotation like in everything older people moving out to more important things and fresh blood is taking over.

Also the point about with people laughing about new people in competetive. When I started playing there was no things like tournaments for new people, also the knowledge about meta, highlander, etf2l and other stuff was really little. Now you have all needed resources everywhere, so really do you need someone leading you hand by hand to compete with each other? I am a kind of person who has no respect for people actually better than me, respect in meaning I like to compete against them and try to be better.

I really like any good iniciatives inside tf2 community. I myself really like to get involved into them. Just making the point that comp is dying is really not that acurate and reasoning is very weak.

Locked Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 13 Next »