Forum

Lightboost, 120 hz and color settings

Created 7th July 2014 @ 19:18

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Tuto

8-)

Hey, so I got a BenQ XL2411Z 3 days ago, and still trying to figure out shit about it. First of all, i read this article about lightboost, 120hz and 144hz, and I couldn’t stop thinking about, if anyone of you guys have experience with Lightboost or Blur Reduction as it’s also called on the newer BenQ models (i think). It’s said in the article that if I go 120hz with lightboost I will get way less blur, then what I will, with 144hz, but is it worth it? Anyone experienced with this? http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/60vs120vslb/

Second, since i got this monitor, no matter what settings i change i still have some really shitty colors, i looked up “benq xl2411z recomended color settings” but nothing really useful, if any of you nice people would share your color settings I would be very happy.

I have these settings.
Brightness: 65
Contrast: 50
Low Blue Light: 0
Black eQualizer: 12
Blur Reduction: Off
AMA: Premium
Instant Mode: On
Sharpness: 6

I even changed the color settings in Nvidia Controlpanel, but I just can’t find good colors. It’s like the colors are very poor on this one.

Last edited by Tuto,

AnimaL

http://etf2l.org/forum/customise/topic-29781/page-2/#post-505341

theres at least 2 guys there who has your monitor

Last edited by AnimaL,

Tuto

8-)

Quoted from AnimaL

http://etf2l.org/forum/customise/topic-29781/page-2/#post-505341

theres at least 2 guys there who has your monitor

Thanks, but thought this deserved it’s own thread, too many questions to be answered. Feel free to contribute.

Last edited by Tuto,

tonmas

sirkkels
BauS

Lightboost @120hz is pretty great and I would definitely recommend trying it, the difference is quite noticeable. Shame I can’t get it to work consistently on my XL2411T. Heard it had something to do with a bad series of panels in this model or something.

MEGAMIDDIE

PINT

lightboost is nice, but I think in terms of it affecting your gameplay it’s largely placebo compared to 120/144. Difference is not really high.

Iller

tGa

I have a BenQ monitor with lightboost. It is the earlier model XL2420TE (144Hz).

Lightboost is pretty nice. As you say it practically removes all motion blur.
In that UFO test you link to you can clearly see a big improvement using 120Hz+lightboost compared to 144Hz without. You get a somewhat different feeling when you play. If it is better or worse or maybe placebo is up to you to decide, but I recommend trying it out.

However, lightboost has some drawbacks. The colors gets darker and weaker, so if you already have problems with your colors the problem will be worse with lightboost.
Also, lightboost is, from what I have read, adding a very small input lag that some people claim to notice.
Another thing that is a bit annoying is that it this fast flickering lightboost light with dark screens in between can be a bit painful to your eyes in the long run.

Personally I don’t use lightboost anymore, 144 Hz feels a bit better to me, even if the motion blur is a little bit worse then.

Last edited by Iller,

jakeowaty

Tuto, the thing with 120/144hz monitors is that you always trade FPS for color quality. If you wanted a monitor with good colors and high hertz, you’d have to pay about twice as much as you did for the BenQ.

Lightboost is always nice. It helps making games look smooth as silk. Then again, you trade off brightness and color quality for silky running games.

It’s all about finding balance. Since I was using a GW series BenQ before, I use it now as my secondary monitor, watching movies and YT, using for browsing the web since I don’t need FPS while doing that, and the other one is only used for games and stuff.

Here’s a couple of useful links you could probably read while setting up your setting to fit needs:

http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/ – program, instructions, download link
http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates – test to set the sliders best to your needs
http://www.testufo.com/#height=-1&strobeutil=1.1.0.5&strobeutilstatus=detected&test=photo&photo=toronto-map.png&pps=960&pursuit=0 – another test, really good one at that, pushing the monitor to the limit

quintosh

wL.

Quoted from tonmas

Lightboost @120hz is pretty great and I would definitely recommend trying it, the difference is quite noticeable. Shame I can’t get it to work consistently on my XL2411T. Heard it had something to do with a bad series of panels in this model or something.

you probably have the xl2411z then and it’s strobelight not lightboost, also it’s not a bad series of panels, there was just a firmware upgrade shipped out that you could get if you had sent the monitor to benq before may

tonmas

sirkkels
BauS

Quoted from quintosh

[…]

you probably have the xl2411z then and it’s strobelight not lightboost, also it’s not a bad series of panels, there was just a firmware upgrade shipped out that you could get if you had sent the monitor to benq before may

Well it most definitely is the XL2411T. :D And yes, strobelight is what I used to enable it and my monitor would keep resetting itself and wiping the settings after a while.

Last edited by tonmas,

quintosh

wL.

strobelight is z, asus lightboost is t

sidestep

(ETF2L Donator)
bobs

Quoted from quintosh

strobelight is z, asus lightboost is t

Wat, he has the XL2411T and is using strobelight beta by ToastyX

toogyboogy

(ETF2L Donator)
SOFT
bobs

do note that lightboost increases input lag, thats how it gets rid of the motion blur.

hr

Quoted from toogyboogy

do note that lightboost increases input lag, thats how it gets rid of the motion blur.

really? I wondered why I prefered it off for gaming

MARIANO

Tutorial don’t listen to people who have old XL2411T (lightboost only with 120hz, input lag and bla bla bla…). If you have XL2411Z (new Z series) you don’t need additional software for LightBoost. Just turn on “motion blur reduction” in screen control panel. It just the same thing with a different name (built-in).

BenQ XL2411Z and XL2420Z with 144Hz + Motion Blur Reduction has input lag around 1.5ms (extreme low). I use 144Hz with MBR in Quake Live and it is smoothly like on 140 Hz CRT.

An additional advantage is that you can use MBR even if you have less fps than 144 in your game without negative ghosting effect.

Last edited by MARIANO,

Deox

wL.
wL.

I had the same problem with pretty shit colours (washed out) on my XL2411T. I found that turning the mode from FPS back to RGB or sRGB brought the full colours back (also having digital vibrance up in nvidia control panel helps)

As for the light boost I would honestly reccomend not using it, I find that being on 144hz to be better than on 120 + light boost since I don’t really see much motion blur in the first place.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »