Forum

TF2 earned $139m in 2013

Created 23rd January 2014 @ 00:06

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Coleman

TEZC
TEZC

Wonder how much the market contributed to this figure. Love being a cash cow.

Kaneco

Quoted from Sideshow

[…]

I think you have delusions of grandeur. If the comp TF2 scene suddenly died, TF2 would be exactly as big as it is now. We are merely a drop in the ocean.

A quick search on youtube or google indicates at least 50% of the results for general tf2 terms being from competitive focused communities such as extv, teamfortress.tv, etf2l, comp.tf, sin youtube channel, etc…

I would rethink that statement, because in fact the competitive community had a huge influence in building and maintaining the community we have today, not mentioning that the big majority of resources out there like demo recorders, custom huds, configs, etc, were originated or made in the competitive community, and the entire community uses them.

We might be a small drop in the tf2 community, but it wouldn’t be where it is today if it wasn’t for the competitive community, so yes, in fact, valve owes a part of tf2 community success to the competitive community

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

We are a small drop of nitro fucking glycerine. BOOM!
You competitive scene apologists make me sick.
Don’t be afraid to act the cunt in life.
Nice guys finish last.

alba

duplo

Quoted from Admirable

Nice guys finish last.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ praise your Ads ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Last edited by alba,

Fuxx

REMOVE

Quoted from Solid

[…]
Valve probably is the company that cares the most about their customers atm…

Simply because they’re the ones who appear to care the most at the moment does not automatically mean that the amount they care is sufficient. We’re talking about the same company that only made TF2 free as a mean to further milk the mann co. cash cow and have been putting all of their energy into finding ways to get people to make more pointless micro-transactions. The same company that also literally tells you “pre-order game X for free stuff in tf2!”, greedily rushed L4D2 instead of bothering first to re-invent L4D, refuses to acknowledge the existence of their most dedicated fanbase (guess) and glorifies Dota 2 as if it was the next coming of Christ.

I’ve lost a lot of respect for Valve over these past few years and to just blindly defend them time and time again is wrong. Sure we are not entitled to some of the luxuries we’d want, such as them paying more attention to the competitive scene, but it really goes to show how their priorities have changed.

Quoted from Admirable

Nice guys finish last.

I say live fast, die young, and leave a big fat corpse!

Last edited by Fuxx,

konr

Actually I think a fucking HUGE number of the people that play TF2 in publics today are because of competitive players. I don’t mean to say that most of those players are competitive or even ever considered playing it, but what I do mean to say is that videos from top competitive players and frag movies including those people getting hundreds upon thousands of views sometimes are almost definitely a massive reason for a lot of people thinking the game looks fun and joining.

That’s not even considering the amount of people that watch casts nowadays too and a lot of those people of course don’t talk in chat so you have no idea whether they’re new people finding the game or not. If there was nothing but public I very much doubt the game would have grown to this scale. It would have been big still of course but not quite in the same way.

A personal example is that when I was introduced to the game properly it was through the Auto-Aim video. I had played a free trial and experienced some public play but it hadn’t actually got me interested. Then someone goes and shows me the Auto-Aim video and a few others to follow it up and I was completely hooked. There’s no fucking way that there aren’t a tonne more people like me.

Last edited by konr,

Fuxx

REMOVE

Quoted from konr

A personal example is that when I was introduced to the game properly it was through the Auto-Aim video. I had played a free trial and experienced some public play but it hadn’t actually got me interested. Then someone goes and shows me the Auto-Aim video and a few others to follow it up and I was completely hooked. There’s no fucking way that there aren’t a tonne more people like me.

Auto-Aim, Reptile and Carnage fragmovies are what got me into TF2 and I know people who started playing TF2 specifically to join etf2l and compete so you’re not alone there.

Coleman

TEZC
TEZC

Quoted from Fuxx

[…]

Auto-Aim, Reptile and Carnage fragmovies are what got me into TF2 and I know people who started playing TF2 specifically to join etf2l and compete so you’re not alone there.

I am one such person. But it was the iseries LAN that affiliated me on to you all.

Toba

(a boT from the North)
Lutunen

Quoted from Fuxx

[…]

7 brothers (broder) frag movie was what got me into comp TF2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fCpAuxrQ_I

Last edited by Toba,

san alex

Quoted from kzr_

because Valve is a shit developer company. They only care about $$$, so they develop a game until it’s maximal profit point and then they move to the next thing. They did it to cs 1.6, css, Half-life, TF2 and next will be dota2 and cs:go. If they cared about the people that gave them that $139M they would listen more to the community and do better things.

By the way, they had some good updates this past year, like the two cities update. When they do it good, we gotta praise them.

Im happy with them, and I have a completely different idea about Valve, I think they manage to maintain their quality on several fronts. Im a Half-life fan boy and to be honest I dont care if it takes 7 years to release 1 single hl episode, the episodes are always amazing. In the community department, I think they are really close to it, tf2/left4dead are an example of that, even before the steam workshop.

damneasy

Idk about you guys but valve imports hats and weapons that are made by community, they dont do as much in the competetive scene but they do care about their customers..

Scissors

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from damneasy

Idk about you guys but valve imports hats and weapons that are made by community, they dont do as much in the competetive scene but they do care about their customers..

by being lazy and getting us to do their work???????? xdddd

kaidus

WiK?

nerds

SorroW

iveR
VDOH

Quoted from Scissors

[…]

truth

Genmix

bobs

Quoted from Scissors

[…]

It’s more of a brilliant way of creating revenue with minimal costs, but I guess it depends from what perspective you are looking at it.

Last edited by Genmix,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »