Forum

rural internet help

Created 30th July 2013 @ 20:29

Add A Reply Pages: 1

numlocked

(king of all rollouts)
Epsilon

so I moved back with my parents before I go to uni, and their internet isn’t the best due to how in the middle of nowhere they are.

this video shows how aids the internet is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8dTC738-ns&feature=youtu.be

basically, what can I do TF2-wise to make it less aids? chris pls

speedtest: http://www.speedtest.net/result/2870152986.png it fluctuates a lot between 1 & 5 down

Last edited by numlocked,

aura

before I go to uni

uni

I ain’t chris but forget about tf2

AnimaL

tf2 in 6v6’s at max rates doesnt need more than about 0.4mbps and even that is overkill and even in 32man voice spam pubs u would see maybe 0.6 mbps spikes at best

so if its actually stable ping then you will just as good as at home, your only problem would be ping spikes and i dont think you can do anything about it… bandwith speed fluctuation doesnt mean anything because tf2 doesnt eat THAT much

edit: just watched the yt vid – gg no re

Last edited by AnimaL,

Spike Himself

TC

Is it cable or dsl? If cable, is the tv quality ok? Yes this is very 1990s.

Anyway, if cable, and tv bad, you can get a little device thingy to increase the signal on the coax line..

Sorry, that’s the only thing I could come up with (other than putting a cable down to somewhere else that does have internet)

Last edited by Spike Himself,

Skully

Quoted from numlocked

so I moved back with my parents before I go to uni, and their internet isn’t the best due to how in the middle of nowhere they are.

this video shows how aids the internet is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8dTC738-ns&feature=youtu.be

basically, what can I do TF2-wise to make it less aids? chris pls

speedtest: http://www.speedtest.net/result/2870152986.png it fluctuates a lot between 1 & 5 down

Welcome to my world man. Every day Im on this speed, it sucks. All I can suggest is making sure the rates are good for a poor ping and try to avoid other bandwidth if you can help it. Browsing the internet while gaming is fine, videos on YT/Twitch

in terms of configs, I use

cl_cmdrate “67”
cl_interp “0.024”
cl_interp_ratio “1”
cl_lagcompensation “1”
cl_pred_optimize “2”
cl_smooth “0”
cl_smoothtime “0.01”
cl_updaterate “67”
rate “60000”

Xearo

GTD

Wireless or wired? Get some homeplugs if wireless and you’re too far from the router for a normal cable, they’re awesome.

numlocked

(king of all rollouts)
Epsilon

Quoted from Skully

[…]

Welcome to my world man. Every day Im on this speed, it sucks. All I can suggest is making sure the rates are good for a poor ping and try to avoid other bandwidth if you can help it. Browsing the internet while gaming is fine, videos on YT/Twitch

in terms of configs, I use

cl_cmdrate “67”
cl_interp “0.024”
cl_interp_ratio “1”
cl_lagcompensation “1”
cl_pred_optimize “2”
cl_smooth “0”
cl_smoothtime “0.01”
cl_updaterate “67”
rate “60000”

all of this is already set, still the same issue. if I open up several tabs (facebook, etf2l, vanilla, reddit, TFTV, twitter) all at once, my ping jumps from 50 to 150+.

generally my ping is ok (50-80), however this is very hard to play with :p TV quality is fine, my parents have a full sky TV+phone+internet package, but it’s just internet playing up.

edit: i have homeplugs

Last edited by numlocked,

Skully

Quoted from numlocked

[…]

all of this is already set, still the same issue. if I open up several tabs (facebook, etf2l, vanilla, reddit, TFTV, twitter) all at once, my ping jumps from 50 to 150+.

generally my ping is ok (50-80), however this is very hard to play with :p TV quality is fine, my parents have a full sky TV+phone+internet package, but it’s just internet playing up.

edit: i have homeplugs

when they spike up, they will spike up and go back down when everything is loaded. However Im afraid 50-80 is the norm in terms of ping, always had to deal with it. Thank fuck I only played hitscan

numlocked

(king of all rollouts)
Epsilon

Quoted from Skully

[…]

when they spike up, they will spike up and go back down when everything is loaded. However Im afraid 50-80 is the norm in terms of ping, always had to deal with it. Thank fuck I only played hitscan

ping isn’t the issue, it’s what you see in the video that is

Arie

(serveme.tf)
FB
[FB]

Quoted from numlocked

[…]

ping isn’t the issue, it’s what you see in the video that is

That video looks like it was made on a very high ping. Make a video with net_graph 3 enabled.

Brooksy

Hey numlocked, I’m in basically the exact same situation as you but I only play hitscan so it’s not too big of a deal, I often find random high choke spikes to cause me to lag/spaz out than ping does (I have an average 60 ping). I’m not sure how to fix it but if high chokes your problem I’m sure some tech savvy person around here could help you fix it. Other than that I basically just have to avoid having any web pages at all open, even Facebook can boost my ping up to 100+ D:

Gubbins

Op4

Wanna move in with me?

Limp.

EPA

I believe your only option is to move out from 3rd world country you live in.

Add A Reply Pages: 1