Forum

How to capitalise on the free week?

Created 21st June 2011 @ 09:01

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 7 Next »

torden

broder
syster

The free week of TF2 might give us something more than extra easy kills on public servers. There’s a great amount of people in other games such as Call of Duty, Counter Strike, Quake and even Brink, that could be interested in TF2, but haven’t been arsed to pay for trying it.

So, How can we use the free week to show our game to new (competitive) players?

My friend Shox had the idea of taking 6 players of each game (say COD vs CSS), and having them play against each other at the end of the week. It’s certainly something we could cover with vanilla tv. How do we get in touch with the right people? More suggestions?

MOOGLE

Edit – user banned for a week for flaming.

(SnowiE)

Last edited by SnowiE,

Wabbeh

The free weekend is the worst possible time to introduce the game. Not only will they get gayed over and over again on pubs by shitty cheap skill-less unlocks, but they won’t even have the same gay unlocks to counter-gay, so they’ll end up getting gayed more, resulting in them thinking the game is shit. (Which it is in pubs)

Defur

Moo, say that to yourself!

@Torden: Would be fun if someone could get a hold of some top players, maybe even more intrestingly – Quake players?
Pro at quake = Pro at TF2 (minus the teamwork)
Right?

Would be fun to see what they got!
Unfortunently I myself have no contacts, but i could say that it would indeed be very fun to watch!

EDIT
@Wabby: But if they would play, lets say a controlled 6vs6, or a 9vs9 – they wouldnt have to worry about the unlocks right? Wasn’t that one of the points of playing “vanilla”?

Last edited by Defur,

CommanderX

(ETF2L Donator)
TEZC

I’d presume the best people to ask would be those involved in other games, who would know the right people/places to post about this show match/tournament

Greg, NVC, Viqun, Mvp, havoK, these sort of people

Perhaps on org forums too?

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

Great idea. Hope this comes off, good luck.

RaCio

GoT²

I guess it would be more of a publicity event rather then just getting many teams into a 1 week tournament? So ideally you’d need to announce the thing when the free week starts and include information on tf2lobby and an IRC pickup (one that doesnt kick new players) so that competitive players are drawn to try those when they hear about the event.

One other random idea, as css/cod teams consist out of 5 players, what about giving each team 1 experienced top player to coach and familiarize them with tf2?

Darn

rockit like

Free week tournament, sounds like a fun idea. Diggy has been looking to host an alienware cup for tf2.. could ask them to sponsor this. Small prize but a prize neverthless and only for new players?

Last edited by Darn,

Black_Bob

[DA]

Sounds good I would like to see how people from other games approach tf2 if just chucked into a vanilla 6 vs 6 formet.

Pyle

I would love to see a TF2 team with cypher/rapha/av3k/Cooller/Dahang/Fox :D

Damn, they should introduce these fun cups @ every lan… where all pro players switch games and go play on the big screen :)

Martn

If you do this, send a mail to valve and hope they promote it on their blog.
Spam the subreddit, spam twitter, spam everything.

GriZZly

Just get top players from other games and let them build a “all star css team” vs. a “all star quake live team” (for example), 5 players + a top tf2 player (as medic) to help them…

torden

broder
syster

Quoted from GriZZly

Just get top players from other games and let them build a “all star css team” vs. a “all star quake live team” (for example), 5 players + a top tf2 player (as medic) to help them…

ez mode!

Mybe the (Top) Teams that are in a big mgo could ask their cod, css, quake or whatever teams? Or ask them to ask some guys?
Good idea anyway ;)

Last edited by tizzel,

ashkan

Quoted from RaCio

One other random idea, as css/cod teams consist out of 5 players, what about giving each team 1 experienced top player to coach and familiarize them with tf2?

I like. As medic.

What has been done so far?! Who’s in charge?!

I can help spam people if needed.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 7 Next »