Forum

Off-classing as a Demo/medic

Created 5th June 2011 @ 10:32

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

I ake this thread because sometimes as a main demo I feel sad missing out on opportunities to off-class. This is partly due to my team having no actual idea of how/when to effectively off-class (Switching spy 2 seconds before they attack last? Playing sniper 30% of a map like Granlands, then when we need to turtle run a cookie cutter…). But another reason is I would love to see/hear of a play that was successful in a serious game like a pcw/official where a Demo or a Medic did a bit of off-classing. An obvious one I can think of is a medic going pyro on a last ditch defence.

One pcw we did on Gravel Pit I stupidly over committed and died on A and the other team were smart enough to spawn camp me. There were stickies on the door and people around Gpit C denying me access, my team not really in a position to help me out (Engineer + sniper) but they were still waiting for A to be capped before pushing, guess they wanted the extra firepower so I figured since I was stuck I should go gamble as Spy. cloaked out of spawn, they were none the wiser and suddenly the medic presented his back to me (I do like looking at people from behind) and an uber drop backstab. To rub salt in the wound I got out to spawn and escaped, switched back to Demo and regrouped on B. (gives me a spy success rate of 100%, higher than any other player in LTG maybe the league. Pikachu’s would be around 5%, CrashSite’s a little higher).

So in my opinion based on that one-off experience – a medic or a Demo when trapped in spawn can do something crazy like off-class. Another situation I once thought about and considered trying to get my team to try was a crazy Freight middle strategy where we wouldn’t run a medic! We’d have a sniper instead (medic gives buffs before switching). I’d get there fast as a Demo on the back health pack, we would play passive until our slow soldiers arrive and then with 6 fragging classes v 5 we would do some suicidal crazy play on their team, especially if they were a very passive team that were building kritz or something. Then once someone died on our team we’d have them go back medic…least this was the plan. In theory it can work but even if say you crush them with a well-executed aggressive strategy, on the next point you will end up with no uber advantage worth pushing on and if your sniper doesn’t do anything on middle then he is a wasted player.

Still I would love to hear some off-classing ideas/plans you could do with the Medic or Demo switching. Something new, unique and so crazy it throws a team off.

MEGAMIDDIE

PINT

Quoted from Hildreth

(gives me a spy success rate of 100%, higher than any other player in LTG maybe the league. Pikachu’s would be around 5%, CrashSite’s a little higher).

5%? I think you are overexagerating. I would say 2%.

Also, offclass to charging targe. It makes you feel better when everyone else is messing around and you can’t.

WARHURYEAH

GlueEater

As a demoman I ache every time the enemy team runs a sniper, mainly because I know I can’t just switch :( There was a time back in the obscure days where our medic switched to heavy to defend last, held it and stayed heavy until we pushed them back to their last and capped.

There’s many times where I think going spy or something similar would be a brilliant idea, like dying on granary mid first and going spy as they’re about to cap our 2nd to buy some time.

With a demoman it is naturally frustrating when you see others going off-class as switching a soldier or scout for sniper is more viable than the demoman.

Having said that if you have a player on your team that can do the demoman basics for defending last whilst you try to pick, I don’t see why it shouldn’t happen.

rytis

PrettyGay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ektvr1DtGLY&feature=channel_video_title
:D

bìester

Quoted from rytis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ektvr1DtGLY&feature=channel_video_title
:D

wanted to post the same :P

kuma

The map was Badlands, I was medic for that game. I died earlier and was waiting to respawn, while we were holding spire. It gets taken after a while and there’s a threat of a backcap so I switch to heavy and manage to defend last long enough for us to retake spire.

I guess this is the most common scenario for a med-switch.

Genmix

bobs

The demoman is your main source of damage, so in most situations it wouldnt really be a viable option.

But I do agree that in some cases, which are mostly unusual, some unexpected class switch could turn around a game (with the added bit of luck).

Spike Himself

TC

Sometimes I go pyro on last instead of med if I’m just spawning and everyone else is down. Airblast so OP.

Ritalin

[d¿s]

I sometimes run heavy to defend last point in certain situations, for example if we are significantly outnumbered (5v2) and they have no medic, etc. In a scenario where my team mates are likely to die before I can save them, I’ll make the switch instead of defending the point on my own as medic.

I did it yesterday (iirc) in a mix and we held the last point. Team mates seemed a bit confused (or annoyed lol), but I made sure to switch back before their medic spawned.

vani

Bully

Quoted from Hildreth

This is partly due to my team having no actual idea of how/when to effectively off-class

If Pikachu & Crashsite would stop going spy in the most obscure situations you wouldnt have to write this thread.

Good read anyway, but I doubt switching heals or dps away is going to help you in any way :D. As kuma said it might work, one time out of seven, on defence.

edit. “write this thread” what the fuck am I writing, I mean write this post

Last edited by vani,

Reload

BiG
BiG

If you don’t have uber and you’re holding last, you could try having your medic switch to pyro as a last resort on some maps (Badlands and Gullywash for example). It’s uncommon, but it worked quite well most of the times I’ve seen it

ups

Quoted from Hildreth

Another situation I once thought about and considered trying to get my team to try was a crazy Freight middle strategy where we wouldn’t run a medic! We’d have a sniper instead (medic gives buffs before switching). I’d get there fast as a Demo on the back health pack, we would play passive until our slow soldiers arrive and then with 6 fragging classes v 5 we would do some suicidal crazy play on their team, especially if they were a very passive team that were building kritz or something. Then once someone died on our team we’d have them go back medic…least this was the plan. In theory it can work but even if say you crush them with a well-executed aggressive strategy, on the next point you will end up with no uber advantage worth pushing on and if your sniper doesn’t do anything on middle then he is a wasted player.

Wow, not even gonna comment on that. It’s that bad that freight push of yours.

Overall off-classing is fine whenever you feel you can influence the game more as some other class. If you constantly feel the need to switch demo/medic to something else: you are playing the wrong class my friend.

Since your team heavily relies on those two classes most of the time, off-classing just seems unreasonable to me. It’s fine in critical situations though (medic->pyro on last if nobody is spawning in time to help him out).

Last edited by ups,

Cyber

TLR

Holding gran last;

Kill a scout that suicides in > wait, then go sniper/pyro > kill sniper/spy > go back to demo and push out

Win.

kaidus

WiK?

I sometimes go sniper for like 10 seconds if I get advanced respawn alone whilst the enemy team is succesfully capping mid/pushing onto 2nd. Stay in spawn with door open, take a pot shot or two then spawn back to last and setup a defense in time.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from ups

[…]
Wow, not even gonna comment on that. It’s that bad that freight push of yours.

Haters gonna hate.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »