Forum

TF2 causes my internet to time out

Created 21st June 2010 @ 23:01

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2

Spike Himself

TC

I’ve had the exact same issue a few months ago. Resetting router would resolve it, at least for a few days. Eventually bought a different router and haven’t had problems since.

I have this problem when I connect to servers sometimes. For example, whenever I play a lobby, my connection goes down and I have to wait for like 2-3 minutes to come up again.

I don’t really know what to do either :( It started like 2 weeks ago but it never happened before :(

kuma

Quoted from Akill

i have this problem all the time atm, game will crash out at sending client info and drop the net.

The possibility that it is rates with a BT line would make sense, im using bt too. it could be one of two things:

1. bt homehub is shockingly bad and doesnt like the high frequency of packets
2. bt’s network infrastructure could hate the high packet frequency and bomb ur line.

any insight? i hope its the homehub because i cant wait to replace it

the problem with a homehub is that it just auto updates randomly and while it’s doing this, it drops your connection. it’s fucking annoying and there’s no way to turn it off, if you want you net back asap you have to reboot the router, and this usually means rebooting your machine as it won’t recognise the connection now.

long story short homehub is shit, get a new router

Vode

I have a similar problem with BT Routers;
If I search for a public server, my TF2 will cause my router to reset but if I join without going into the “find server” area of TF2 (e.g. Join via console or friends) it won’t crash out.

Mirelin

alus

Check, do you have these problems in any other fps game. For example Counter Strike Source.

Valve fucked up TF2 with they’r fucking new updates. Half year ago i had stable 40 ping for NL servers, and stable 50 ping for UK servers. And now, i should play with 80ping on NL and 100ping even more on UK servers.

Peace!

Nor

rda

cl_forcepreload “1”
sv_forcepreload “1”
mod_forcedata “1”
mod_forcetouchdata “1”
mem_max_heapsize “512”
mem_min_heapsize “128”
mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware “1”

Ripple

Got the same problem. Has definitely nothing to do with the router. Anything i do online works, except playing tf2. Since one of the last updates my ping is going up and down while playing and/or disconnects me from the server + mumble etc.
Might be the new mumble version aswell. Updated it around the time the problems started and i’m only on mumble while playing tf2..

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Ripple

Has definitely nothing to do with the router

Out of curiosity, how did you find out?

torden

broder
syster

Tested it for 1.5 days now. Reducing Steam download speed seems to have fixed it.

The explanation I got on one of the forums I googled was that steam along with other apps (like antivirus) overloads the router. I don’t know why it suddenly started doing that , but its not unheard of that the router is shit.

Again, thanks for all the response.

Ripple

I found it out the following way:
I never had problems with this 1 week ago. And i still don’t have this problem while playing bad company 2 or anything else online. It only appears when i start playing tf2 for about 15-20 mins. And while i play tf2 i’m on mumble, which could be the problem aswell, since i updated my 1.2.1 client to 1.2.2 last week.

If it was the router, it would not only appear while playing tf2 in my opinion..

PS: This is only what i think, i have actually no clue – but the router did tf2 fine before with 3MB/s downloads going on in the background..

Last edited by Ripple,

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Nor

cl_forcepreload “1”
sv_forcepreload “1”
mod_forcedata “1”
mod_forcetouchdata “1”
mem_max_heapsize “512”
mem_min_heapsize “128”
mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware “1”

well, someone doesn’t know what these cvars do, clearly.

not least because half of these are host side.

Quoted from Ripple

If it was the router, it would not only appear while playing tf2 in my opinion..

Not necessarily.

Last edited by octochris,

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Ripple

When I had this issue, it would only ever happen when I’d play Left4Dead. Nothing else affected anything, but as soon as I tried to play L4D, my internet just cut out. Replacing my router has fixed this, so I can safely assume the cause was indeed my router.

Just saying :)

Ripple

ye as i said, i don’t know why this is happening. just seems a bit strange to me, that it worked before without any problems.

EDIT: And my bro is using the same connection + router for playing tf2 and a different mumble version. Only if i start playing it kills our connection or slows it down..

Last edited by Ripple,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2