Forum

Anti Cheat - What would you improve?

Created 8th March 2010 @ 18:58

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 31 Next »

quad

Quoted from Buffalo Bill

[…]

If you were banned unfairly, nobody is surprised at this being incredibly frustrating for you but at least stop trying to get this to be about your case, and let it be about AC bussiness in general. Once that’s sorted they can review your case if they feel the need for it/you can argue your case and convince them to review it.

It was a suggestion, since wireplay wont trust blindly on etf2l, because no evidence is shared to them

Jackium

<3 Fruit

If you are 100% positive about someone cheating as in some cases this must be happening when there is enough of evidence, ban them for life and make them at least buy new game from their daddys wallet, cheaters returning back to scene in few months or year isn’t helping anyone or anything.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from Tikcus

[…]

For a news post it is, however like discussed in the previous anti cheat council, certain circumstances require more information, and or could be required if a player was to appeal a ban.

Like D2M said, this topic is more about ideas and discussion not flaming, if you’d like to discus reasons when more information may be required, talk to me, if you are determined not to listen or just to disagree whatever is said please don’t bother, time is sometihng that I don’t have alot of to waste, a public forum is not the place to discuss this (especially not this topic)

Please enlighten me. We are talking about an appeal system. If you can’t be bothered explaining exactly why more information needs to be shared to appeal don’t post here at all. My question was a valid question.

And I guess nobody liked my appeal system :(.

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

Lots of good ideas in here. I’d like to put forward my support to the multiple teams idea and blind tests. Maybe have 3 teams of 3 people, one team get’s a demo. If 2 or more of the team say ‘CHEATING SCUM’ then another team has a look and if 2 of them also say ‘cheating scum’ then it’s a done deal, if 2 say ‘no scum here’ then it goes to the third team who have the final vote.

Obviously each team doesn’t know the results of the other teams analysis, and I think some ‘secret shoppers’ need to be added to the mix, random non-cheating players to keep ’em on their toes.

A problem is, if you get sent a demo as AC admin then you’ll automatically assume it’s suspicious or why have it in the first place? This mentality needs to be guarded against.

Appeals need to be dealt with very carefully. You shouldn’t have all forum posters commenting on decisions made, yet it shouldn’t be overly secretive either…. Difficult!

Good luck with whatever is decided.

demsii

EPA

I for one support an “union” of anticheat admins like ETAC in tfc (D2M will know about this.)
Having multiple views from multiple on a suspected hacker is always a good thing. When in high doubt (smart cheaters will try to spoof their cheats by turning them randomly on and off for example which makes it a lot harder to decide) about a cheater, I would suggest a probation rule, ie. banned shorter than a year (3 months for example) and supplying demo’s directly to an AC admin from every official for another 3 months or something like that?

As for anticheat programs, I wouldn’t suggest it, because in the end everyone is pretty lazy and would only cause more delays and annoyances from people that drives away people (Hello ESL).

Having admins from different skill levels (read: divisions) might not be the best of ideas .. for example, a div6 AC admin would be easier impressed with something and more prone to say someone’s cheating than someone with experience in a higher division (in my opinion anyway).

A training program to “spot” cheaters might not be a bad idea, but getting that set in motion might be a hard thing to accomplish.. Who is going to educate the “trainee admins” for example and what makes the person in question qualified to teach these “trainee admins”?

Giving out evidence? No. Why? Because to people that can’t see cheats they will always plea for unbanning a player. And friends will always support in the person’s favor. It also gives away methods of how admins detect cheats and warns other cheaters of how to hide their cheats better. In return the community should learn to appreciate and trust the AC team more though :)

Waster

An external program is the only way to really trust the cheat procedure. Those programs can be verified if they work correctly and wont make mistakes like humans do. Also it will reduce the time admins need to spend on going through all those demo’s. But is it to much to ask some very little time to install this software to the individual player? Instead that admins are working like crazy to go through these demo’s while there is still a high chance of false positives/negatives.

Andee

GoT<3
HoT<3

Everyone reading the forums on regular base, will know Anti-cheat software is easy to work around. And I agree that the AC-software in general will be easy to dodge. There is a positive side to AC-software: It scares of people that are not familair with cheating software. So it helps preventing people to try cheats out. I am therefore in favor of using some AC-software.

AC-software doens’t solve all problems, I think we agree on that. So you need AC admins that can judge evidence based upon what they know from experience. That means, you need:

– A safe TF2 testing environnement for all kind of cheats, to train and test new cheats
– AC admins check out weekly what the new developments, or news posts are on known cheat-supporting websites
– Maybe even spot TF2 players who are posting on those websites
– See if you can get in contact with programmers that develop cheat-software (they of all people know how you counter or spot cheats)

Reducing the penalty for using cheat-software is a nice one also. The person can only recieve such a penalty when he/she:

– Admit what kind of anti-cheat software he/she used
– Reveal how they avoided the AC-software

We can then inform the AC-software developer with detailed information how to improve their software.

Hope this posts helps a bit :-)

demsii

EPA

You do realize that the smarter cheater either writes his own cheats or gets them through channels that aren’t public right (either by paying or having connecitons), which is how VAC and other AC software is rendered useless .. Sure, it might weed out the noob cheaters, but then again they probably won’t be too hard to catch anyway. Besides, I doubt a demo will end up with an AC admin if there isn’t something suspicious to begin with.

mavve

YOYO\'
syster

1. Only ineyedemos. Pubspec demos and stv demos should be a no no.
2. Use same interp when speccing the demo as the player used.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from demsii

You do realize that the smarter cheater either writes his own cheats or gets them through channels that aren’t public right (either by paying or having connecitons), which is how VAC and other AC software is rendered useless .. Sure, it might weed out the noob cheaters, but then again they probably won’t be too hard to catch anyway. Besides, I doubt a demo will end up with an AC admin if there isn’t something suspicious to begin with.

Heuristic checking means that it is not as simple as coding your own cheats to get around hardcoded signature detection, and I believe VAC monitors MMIO and RAM for patterns matching heuristic filters.

Andee

GoT<3
HoT<3

Quoted from demsii

I doubt there are alot of players that would write their own software, but it would be interesting to see what kind of software is out there and test it in a secure environnement, for a AC-admin? I think thats basically vital if you want to setup an new AC-team.

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from Andee

I doubt there are alot of players that would write their own software

With the assumption that your anti-cheat works with signatures (it no doubt would assuming it is fully automated), I could quite easily whip up a decent enough hack in a reasonably short amount of time, Source gives out a lot of information (too much information, perhaps) and is rather loud about everything, and of course that is both monitorable and manipulable.

Even someone with little experience shouldn’t find it hard to write something that VAC would ban if they knew about.

WARHURYEAH

GlueEater

Quoted from octochris

[…]

With the assumption that your anti-cheat works with signatures (it no doubt would assuming it is fully automated), I could quite easily whip up a decent enough hack in a reasonably short amount of time, Source gives out a lot of information (too much information, perhaps) and is rather loud about everything, and of course that is both monitorable and manipulable.

Even someone with little experience shouldn’t find it hard to write something that VAC would ban if they knew about.

Watch out for this guy >_>

Dr-GimpfeN

9g1c

my idea:
COMMUNITYVOTES ABOUT BANNING PLAYERS !!!!!!!!!!!1

WARHURYEAH

GlueEater

Quoted from Dr-GimpfeN

my idea:

Just no, too much room for error, some people here couldn’t spot a hacker and the slight tweaks that give it away,

watch the demo of Quad and look at the ticks that the admins provide on the front page, when you have been told where to look only then do you see it, that is where the AC team are better because they know what to look for and don’t need to be told “IT’S AT TICK 2130 DURR!”

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 31 Next »