Forum

Fixed maps in Season 6

Created 17th August 2009 @ 15:39

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 Next »

Kop

[CiC]
CiC

freight and fastlane add a little something to the game, freight changes the normal 2 solies and 2 scouts to ppl using a sniper therefor meaning everything changes and imo is a good thing to see, fastlane can be hard but it tends to prove just who the strongest clan really is by the way it. i cant see a problem in having the maps already there(maybe removing dustbowl or something) and adding gullywash and 1 more custom but thats just my opinion.

Ino

dp.
dp.

The map pool should be sorted out before there are fixed maps. If I have to play 2Fort/Dustbowl and the likes of it every week I don’t think I’d enjoy playing ETF2L.
2 new maps like gullywash for example would be ok this season imo, but not more. It’s not like everybody plays 5 days a week ;)

thaldarin

As much as the guy from crack clan is being a bit of a dick about the way he is saying it, he is right. It is a competitive league, it need further testing competitively outside of league play.

Players will never and should never 100% agree with every part of a map, there will always be a balance of what the game and the designer dislikes about the changes made in order to make the map good for competitive play.

Yes to custom maps, no to poorly designed ones. I’d agree freight has come a long way but in terms of competitive play I wouldn’t ever dream of including it at the rate it changes. For example “final” is a brilliant re-design gone horribly wrong by one simple design mistake.

iQue

keso

Remove Well (add to 2nd map pool perhaps), add two or three custom maps, personally Yukon Gullywash and Waste or Furnace

grey

nm

Remove fastlane, add yukon. easy…

tarmo-

<3 Fruit

Remove fastlane, add yukon. easy…

partly correct, remove fastlane, add gullywash, totally forget yukon. easy…

Gaarulf

UP|

Not that I play TF2 anymore, but this is part of the issue that made me want to quit TF2. It’s Badlands and Granary all over. Sometimes some of the other maps, but in a PCW when not everyone are in a specific mood, people will pick Badlands over Freight, any day.

Yukon, Gullywash and probably some of the other good custommaps should be in the pool ,and have fixed maps. When everyone is going to play, let’s say Freight in the next match, you won’t have to almost whine yourself to get the opposing team to play it.

codcrille

Fresh.

I really like playing Gravel Pit and payload maps. It’s a shame nobody else does. I’m honestly bored to death by the gameplay in Badlands and Granary to the point I’m considering just playing pubs.

Geten

There’s a joker in all this, gentlemen. Valve has said they are working on new competitive maps, including both 5 cap maps as well as gravelpit style. What if Valve drops down a bunch of those maps 2 weeks before the season? What if they’re absolutely awesome? Will we end up with 10 new maps that are playable?

I don’t know if I’m all for fixed maps but definitely for some sort of compromise that will revitalize the game and experience. While I personally think fastlane, freight and well sucks, everyone might not want to demote those sorts of maps. However, just because they’ve been favoured as new custom maps and a breeze of fresh air in the heat of granlands, it doesn’t necessarily mean we don’t prefer any new custom maps ahead of them. And just because Yukon (which I consider is worst of the custom maps) is official doesn’t mean it should be the peer to other maps, unless we don’t want to.

So I don’t have the full solution to all of this but hope we’ll get a season where badlands and granary won’t be chosen 50% of the times combined (if one could pick those maps more… Urgh…). When we play pcws it’s also common that teams don’t want to play gravelpit, which is ridiculous.

Jones

I like cp_freight. However, I sometimes get very bad performance issues on this map. I don’t get this issue on any other maps and my PC is good; so I can’t explain it. It feels like low FPS and choke. It is shakey/jittery and very hard to play with. That is my only worry about freight. If anyone else gets this problem I would be very interested to hear about it. It tends to be worst at the middle CP. Whats odd is that sometimes it’s completely fine.

Also +1 to fixed maps
Please don’t add more than 1 additional custom map
Please remove shite like dustbowl

iQue

keso

Freight tends to run badly for me as well, not sure why. Even frontier and those other lolmassive pl maps run better.

Why the yukon hate? It’s awesome. :D

On the topic of fixed maps then, sure. It would work out fine I think and we could end up with some more varied maps, instead of granlands at least half the time.

And remove well, no one likes that map.

rge

+1 fixed maps

… and pls not more than 1 custom map. we have enough good “other” maps (well/fastlane/gravel/freight/turbine). would be nice if those would be played more often.

fixed maps seems like a good idea also as many customs as possible please. Yukon, Glullywash and Follower to me are all entirely playable competitive maps. Also I’d like to see bytes and and codcrilles map there if they have a finished version soon enough. There’s is 18 maps to be played so playing those 4 once shouldn’t hurt anyone an I’d like to see some new maps.

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Would like to see gravel played more.

Nymthae

-9w-
-9m-

Yukon is awful.

I don’t think fastlane and freight are too bad, i’m not particularly fond of any of both of them, adds a little variety and hasn’t made me ragequit TF2 yet.

Gullywash seems generally liked so i’ll probably give that a shot in the season. Fixed maps wouldn’t be too bad but then always comes that issue if you get the weaker team on gravel pit (which happens to be their strongest map possibly), where everything ends up random 90% of the time (because noone is ever certain with that map) and that costs you the couple of points you needed for promotion where as the other teams got a fairly easy ride on a straight cp against them.

I wouldn’t mind trying some maps, but not as many listed in the first post :p I think Racio is along the right lines. The league is a great way of forcing maps upon people, but it wouldn’t surprise me if teams decided not to even enter if it were to be riddled with custom maps which haven’t been tested much.

Also, not sure how cp_obscure is going on, I know there’s a lot of effort going in to that, and a lot of playtesting going on right now though not sure how close that is at all to completion/whether it would be ready.

In the end, the league is there as a skill indication so untested and unbalanced maps will skew a lot of things. Pretty sure ETF2L holds 2 things over other leagues – enjoyment (by map picks, or better maps if done fixed) and a nicer website :p

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 Next »