Forum

[S9] Highlander Season 9 Feedback

Created 21st September 2015 @ 15:50

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 7 8 9 ... 18 Next »

Goreston

Quoted from Fuxx

If you’re not using stock pipes to spam over the house when defending badwater third then you’re doing it wrong

Also you’re grasping at straws. Badwater third was regarded as a difficult point to push even before Loose Cannon became popular.

See, what I was doing there was using sarcasm, which is a form of irony, as a rhetorical device. When I said “Thank Christ we finally found a way to make holding Badwater 3rd viable”, I was counting on the notorious difficulty of pushing Badwater 3rd to make it clear that what I actually meant was the opposite of what I said, i.e. that the Loose Cannon making it easier to defend points that are already easy to defend is a bad thing. It’s sort of what I’ve been arguing this whole time, which I hoped might provide another clue.

Just in case, I feel I should also point out that when I thanked you upthread for giving us your permission to keep discussing whitelists in a thread partly dedicated to discussing whitelists, this was also sarcasm.

Fuxx

REMOVE

Me disagreeing with you does not entitle you to disregard points made to whine passive-aggressively and make assumptions of nearsightedness. Believe me, I’m well aware of your sarcasm.

Get off your high horse.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from Fuxx

Me disagreeing with you does not entitle you to disregard points made to whine passive-aggressively and make assumptions of nearsightedness. Believe me, I’m well aware of your sarcasm.

Get off your high horse.

It’s big G you’re talking to, so he is entitled, end of young Fuxx, respect your elders plz.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from Goreston

I honestly don’t think Medigun pickups are a deliberate part of the game Valve are designing. I think they just didn’t consider comp at all when they added the mechanic. Pickups are disabled in MVM.

Sorry G man, but:
1) The fact it is in the game itself means it doesn’t matter what you think Valve’s intentions are, it’s here and we have to deal with it now. Also, the evidence that it was added in a previous update and is actually part of TF2 right now kind of tells me they intend to use it, you can’t blow something off that is actually HERE in the game and say “I don’t think they wanna use it though…” based on what? If they change it or remove it, great we’ll go back to how it was no problems but it’s part of the game and the admins have to make a big decision today but take into account the direction of the game for the next few years and not focus on the complaining from a bunch of old school gamers.

2) MVM is not competitive TF2, end of.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

For the Loose Cannon – Is there a reasonable trade off?

Yes, Pipe Launcher has quicker firing rate, longer range and in most cases, more DPM.

Settled, leave it unbanned.

Goreston

Quoted from Fuxx

Get off your high horse.

Why not? You’re disregarding all the points I’ve made. I’m arguing that the double donk mechanic forces medics to treat spam angles with the same deference as sniper lanes, which means that, instead of just a sniper pick, teams now have to get a sniper and a demo pick, or be forced to use their uber stupidly early.

Your response is that this is only true on certain maps and certain points. Well so what? It’s not like you’re tied to any one loadout for the season, or even for the map.

Also, pyro has airblast so my argument is invalid and ironic, or something.

The other main point I made was that the amount of damage you take from the Loose Cannon is impossible to read until it hits you. Adysky pointed out that this is true of a bunch of other weapons, which is a fair point. I do, however, want to point out that the only other weapon where the difference between min and max damage is enough to drop a medic is the sniper rifle.

No-one’s yet come forward to say the Loose Cannon isn’t bullshit, only that it’s only bullshit for some maps or some parts of maps, or that other things are also bullshit, so it doesn’t matter.

Goreston

Quoted from Hildreth

[…]

Sorry G man, but:
1) The fact it is in the game itself means it doesn’t matter what you think Valve’s intentions are, it’s here and we have to deal with it now. Also, the evidence that it was added in a previous update and is actually part of TF2 right now kind of tells me they intend to use it, you can’t blow something off that is actually HERE in the game and say “I don’t think they wanna use it though…” based on what? If they change it or remove it, great we’ll go back to how it was no problems but it’s part of the game and the admins have to make a big decision today but take into account the direction of the game for the next few years and not focus on the complaining from a bunch of old school gamers.

That’s fair. I’m not claiming to be able to read Valve’s mind. I just found it interesting that in the only official game mode that currently exists where something is actually at stake, Valve chose to disable the feature.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens to random crits when matchmaking goes live. I mean, we all assume they’ll be disabled, but they’re in the game, so…

For the Loose Cannon – Is there a reasonable trade off?

Yes, Pipe Launcher has quicker firing rate, longer range and in most cases, more DPM.

Settled, leave it unbanned.

So, on Viaduct, would these trade offs be something that would make the demo think “Shit, I wish I was running pipes right now” in any circumstance? This is a genuine question. I don’t play demo unless I can upgrade the reload speed.

Muuki

sirkkels
GG

Quoted from Goreston

[…]

So, on Viaduct, would these trade offs be something that would make the demo think “Shit, I wish I was running pipes right now”

yes

adysky

Quoted from Goreston

So, on Viaduct, would these trade offs be something that would make the demo think “Shit, I wish I was running pipes right now” in any circumstance? This is a genuine question. I don’t play demo unless I can upgrade the reload speed.

yes

Bloodyyy

(Weeaboo Nerd)
(XD ͜ʖXD)

bogHL

Feri

MF

Okay, Hildreth convinced me, maybe we are trying to change the game Valve is making too much, separating pub from competitive even more might be a bad idea if we want more new players, that’s true. And if valve disables medigun pickups in matchmaking – well, we can ban it too in next seasons, simple as that.
And loose cannon, as I said before: it is annoying, but for heaven’s sake, just ask people what does annoy them in pyro. Would you like to play as a stock flamethrower no airblast pyro in s9? LC is strong weapon indeed, but it’s not a straight upgrade, like it is never gonna be better than stock in EVERY situation, as mentioned before – when you are escaping having stock pipes is better. Same goes for spamming due to faster firing speed.
I know you take loads of damage when reflecting it, is that a real reason to ban it?
It’s also annoying for medics, and so are airblasts, bodyshots, backstabs, pretty much everything in this game which could kill him or make him pop earlier.

b33p

(ETF2L Donator)
-st-

Quoted from adysky

Beggars:
Sacrificing consistant short range damage for a counter to pyro. Honestly, its just a sidegrade. Only effective if enemy teams medic positioning is bad and heavy cant track mid air targets in case you decide to bomb with it.

Doubt there’s a heavy better at tracking than SUZY, who has confirmed there is a point where beggars soldier jumps so high that by the time he has reloaded and fired 3 rockets (an has fallen to a range he can be killed — and is killed at that point), the 3 rockets he launched killed the medic. Doesn’t matter how good your tracking is. Some maps have a skybox high enough to jump so quickly, so high to a spot where you can safely reload and launch 3 where the heavy doesn’t do enough damage to kill the soldier who was 300 when they started. Yes, I’m talking specifically about playing against Hartz on Badwater in an official xd But I’m for it being allowed, and the reserve shooter, and the short circuit. Learn, adjust, evolve, become better. no?

Quoted from adysky

gullywash > any other 5cp
ashvile > warmtic
steel is fine

^

Quoted from Hildreth

[…]
Also, the evidence that it was added in a previous update and is actually part of TF2 right now kind of tells me they intend to use it, you can’t blow something off that is actually HERE in the game

I do agree with Henry here, though the logical path may not end where it should end. With this reasoning, do you agree that every weapon should be allowed because Valve made them part of the game and they are here to stay? Because the reasoning is the same, against some unlocks and against medi gun pickups. You gave the example of the new-to-comp gamer arriving at ETF2L’s doorstep and stripped of learned game mechanics:

Quoted from Hildreth

think 2 years from now when new to comp players are used to playing Valve servers with the mechanic added to the game and then come to competitive TF2 and see it’s been disallowed because “A few years ago when it was added, some people in competitive TF2 didn’t like it so it got banned”. If we’re doing this logic can we ban Pyros?

I fully agree that we should be playing the game using the weapons and mechanics the game creators implemented. Allow medi gun pickups, allow all weapons, S9 will be a revolutionary season!

Feel the fear and do it anyway, nerds!

Synrise

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from Hildreth

[…]

3) competitive TF2 is not pub TF2

Quoted from Goreston

It’ll be interesting to see what happens to random crits when matchmaking goes live. I mean, we all assume they’ll be disabled, but they’re in the game, so…

And just to clarify, I haven’t played enough serious matches with the medigun-pickup to make a judgement on how the meta will change for the better/worse. I would just hold off untill we know what the competitive rule-set will be for the matchmaking.

Last edited by Synrise,

S@GA

MERKEL
Nein

Quoted from Feri

Okay, Hildreth convinced me, maybe we are trying to change the game Valve is making too much, separating pub from competitive even more might be a bad idea if we want more new players, that’s true.

Goreston pretty much busted that stupid attitude with the random crits counter. New people have some common sense, they’re prolly able to figure out why x is banned on their own and if not they can look at the examples people have already been giving as to why it can be a questionable feature.

Last edited by S@GA,

We’re most likely banning medigun pickups to keep in line with our 6s season.

This does not mean it’s the best option or our final decision, just clarifying it for discussion sake.

We are glad people took it upon them to discuss several unlocks and the feedback I’ve read and received in steam has been a great help to shape the season. This opened up the whitelist, namely by adding in the Soda Popper and Baby Face’s Blaster.

Thread will be monitored, please keep the memes in Twitch chat, (looking at you scissors) and hopefully we’ll have a neat season.

Cheers,

Byte

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 7 8 9 ... 18 Next »