Forum

[S3] Provisional map pool feedback

Created 14th October 2012 @ 16:06

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 7 Next »

Beanie

I would love process to be replaced with Haunt or Lakeside.

But please, replace swiftwater with Viaduct pro, rc3, it’s a much smaller map, it’s DM, and it’s much funner to play and, heck, even watch for that matter.

Rob!

TROLLIED
[T-A!]

What about using Stars first place Koth map in the league, CP_ARCTIC. Its really well balanced and definitely big enough for HL.

Its been thoroughly tested in the competition so is good to go. Plus it looks shit loads more fun than haunt ever has.

Link to a video here http://youtu.be/37Jxzb94rNU

almightybob

.ps

I’ve never played haunt, but in general I feel it’s not the best gamemode for HL. And from what I saw from this video (cheers T-A!) it looks like the map layout will encourage spawncamping far, FAR more than, say, turbine, because the cap distance is so short. It’s about an 8-second run for the scout in that video, and he’s not going as fast as possible or necessarily taking the quickest route. So if you sat and spawncamped the enemy you could get four or five caps easily, something you couldn’t do in an equivalent time in turbine. And conversely, with your intel SO close to your own spawn it would be trivial to sit inside the house and just defend your intel, taking a few seconds to nip back into spawn when you’re a little hurt. Neither of these would be much fun to play or watch.

I really like swiftwater as a map, but it’s huge. Obviously teles help with that problem, but compared to the likes of badwater, the only time you have a massive walk, on offence or defence, is between caps 2 and 3. On swiftwater it’s a half-marathon from after cap 1 until (if I remember correctly) cap 4.

The A/D mechanic is my favourite for HL. I would really like to see gravelpit or steel back in the pool. They both bring something extra rather than the simple payload gameplay. Particularly steel allows for some great strategy and mindgame potential that many HL maps lack.

emb

(Legend)
ciortai

After some internal debate and based on your feedback, we’ve adjusted the provisional map pool to the following:

Week 1: Badwater
Week 2: Granary + Viaduct_pro
Week 3: Upward
Week 4: Lakeside + Granary
Week 5: Gravelpit

An alternative layout for Week 2 could be cp_steel.

Last edited by emb,

Bighomer

ƒusg

I’d like to see a ctf map beeing played, either haunt or converge as both bring some tactical and overall change to the usual hl maps.
Also replace Lakeside, this map is way too open and boring imo, maybe viaduct_pro instead? Gravelpit is ok but I’d also like to see steel beeing played again, good map
Both swiftwater and granary are fun in hl, wouldn’t mind them beeing in the pool

Monkeh

.:ne:.

New map pool looks sweet tbf, although why 2 granarys?

Make one process or gully, seems weird having the only repeated map a cp5.

Last edited by Monkeh,

Rob!

TROLLIED
[T-A!]

After some internal debate and based on your feedback, we’ve adjusted the provisional map pool to the following:

Change week 2 granary to steel and I think we have a winner :)

Last edited by Rob!,

TheSucker

[d¿s]

Quoted from Rob!

[…]
Change week 2 granary to steel and I think we have a winner :)

Quoted from Monkeh

New map pool looks sweet tbf, although why 2 granarys?

I’m thinking the other way around would be better, decreasing the map pool to 5 rather than increasing it to 7. I’d want to replace the Viaduct pro with Lakeside (or, if people dislike Lakeside (which they shouldn’t!), replace Lakeside with Viaduct pro). The fewer maps that are played the more likely we are to see good matches being played on these maps, something I very much prefer over having a “diverse” map pool that leaves little to no time to create a good working teamplay on each map.

Linus

[d¿s]

Quoted from emb

Looks quite good to me.

droso

o/

Quoted from emb

Change week 2 to “Granary + Lakeside” and it’d be perfect.

Monkeh

Quoted from TheSucker

The fewer maps that are played the more likely we are to see good matches being played on these maps, something I very much prefer over having a “diverse” map pool that leaves little to no time to create a good working teamplay on each map.

This is a good point.

unu

Change one of the Grannys to Gully and I will keep my mouth shut in peace.

ondkaja

IKEA

Quoted from Monkeh

I agree with this statement, there’s no reason to have granary played twice. Some might argue that 7 maps for 5 weeks is a bit too much. I don’t agree however, the hl seasons are really short and to compensate for that it’s only good that it has many maps.

Ghost Killer

ghp.

No, do not remove switfwater! It’s so amazing to play highlander there. All of the matches I played there were entertaining, no matter how huge was the difference in skill level between teams, while in badwater for instance, if the skill level of teams is too distinct, you know teams won’t even be able to leave the spawn. The best team will win just by achieving the first “checkpoint”, and that makes it too fast and boring.

The map I don’t really like is lakeside… Can’t explain why, it is just too boring. Granary is a cool map at highlander, gullywash too… If we really need to play a koth map, I think that the classic pro_viaduct is more suitable.

I’d like to see an experimental highlander cup with plr_panic (3 stage plr map, that I think is the only one suitable for highlander) and koth_king…

Last edited by Ghost Killer,

feeling

ist doof

Honestly, why would you remove haunt so quickly? I haven’t played the map yet but I assume most people are opposed to it because it’s unfamiliar. Gamers often prefer what they already know. Only a small number of players can really evaluate haunt’s gameplay and I doubt they are all represented here. As process has shown, sometimes new maps have to be forced upon the community, so don’t give up on it too easily please.

Although this is controversial, I would love to see badwater, one ctf_map (haunt/turbine), viaduct pro (replacing lakeside), pl_swiftwater_ugc (replacing upward) and one 5 cp map to be determined.

Last edited by feeling,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 ... 7 Next »