Forum

[HL] Experimental Cup #2 feedback thread

Created 30th May 2012 @ 21:27

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Use this thread to give feedback on the maps featured in the Highlander experimental cup #2:

– Ashville
– Converge
– Waste

The thread will be closely moderated and punishments given out relatively easily. Keep it civil.

Swedish Santa

Waste, oh yes! All 3 versions are good imo. cp_waste, pl_waste, koth_waste, love them all!

unu

Converge is the only ctf map I can stand. I love it.

pala4

nice maps:)

Jazz

ScS|
(Q)<

Ashville is a nice map and i like the choice.

Converge after playing it a lot recently it seems like a map that if you don’t have mid then its very hard to push out of your base and the main way to get out is the spy. Also if you don’t have the intel and don’t have mid its near impossible to win. But would like to see more people play it to get a better feedback on it.

Waste… didn’t realise that map existed.

Selek

Dr. med.

After the recent Enforcer nerf, I would suggest allowing it for the Experimental Cup to see how it works out in comp play now. The biggest complaints – two-shotting light classes out of nowhere (you have to be undisguised now) and more importantly no downside when used with the Dead Ringer – are gone now.

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

So any thoughts on this?

Personally we only played Ashville and Converge.

Ashville seems a weird map, like it is okay I guess but I think a bit too much room on the middles, I haven’t really liked it much at all.

Converge is interesting, like we had a really good game with Finland and the concept is good, it is possible it would be interesting to watch but I feel it may be too prone to turtling. I actually kind of liked converge personally.

No idea about Waste.

ashkan

I agree with Hildreth about Ashville. I didn’t find it very interesting or exciting (as a Spy, at least).

I liked Waste a lot.

I’ve played Converge a bunch of times now, starting about two years ago. As Hildreth says, I think there’s a lot of turtling potential that could turn the match into a boring statefest. Other than that, I really love it.

SabaSaba

[hePPa]

I liked all the maps played yesterday.

We (colony) have played Converge quite many times already and it has always been a blast. I haven’t seen much turtling either (might be because the maps have been really close, 3-3 or 4-3 the final score). Scouts can do amazing caps if they manage to slip through the main line.

Ashville was cool in my opinion. I like the underpass which is a good option for getting into enemy side. Of course the map is wrangler and sniper friendly, but I’m fine with that.

Waste was fun to play. Again, multiple routes, not just only the tracks to follow, which is a must have for a payload map. I liked the last room which has two floors. Good spots for all the classes to do something.

I’d be happy to see all the maps in season 3. And Steel has to come back!

Last edited by SabaSaba,

Alx

SNSD-jjang ♥

Some thoughts from me:

Converge = Everything went back and forth, super high tempo and incredibly messy. Had no idea what was happening 50% of the time. Perhaps a bit of fun, I’m undecided. Very strange gamemode. We ran quickfix and all kinds of stuff. General feeling as heavy on converge: http://i.imgur.com/oJF9h.jpg

Ashville = Felt ok as a koth map, even though I find other koth maps such as lakeside and viaduct much better. Mid was kind of annoying, and the areas beyond mid wasn’t really used a lot. Not very good, and not very bad. Average.

Waste = I enjoyed this one the most. Liked the double cart-pushing, and it was somewhat less messy to play. Not really a big “wow” though.

Last edited by Alx,

unu

Only got to play Ashville since apparently we were in the High-Bracket (lolwut, nice going etf2l) and got raped by Finland in it after Ukraine didn’t show up.

I think that the map is too small and whoever controls the main room will win.

Waste would’ve been fun to try but whatever. Also Converge is a great map for most classes (except engineer, poor engis)

Permzilla

(Legend)
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞
WiK?

Quoted from unu

Only got to play Ashville since apparently we were in the High-Bracket (lolwut, nice going etf2l)

6 national teams signed up, of course they’re going to be the strongest, but someone has the play them.

Anyway, ashville is ok but there are other koth maps that work better such as viaduct or lakeside. I can’t think of a reason to include ashville over either of those maps. We didn’t play Waste due to having no opponents, but Converge was pretty fun. Pretty much what ALX said, no one had any idea what they were doing and it’s a great map that actually requires a LOT of tactics to do well.

As for what Hildreth/ashkan said about Converge being stalematey, I think England pretty much proved it wasn’t, because it actually promotes pushing as far as you can towards the enemy base with the intel. Trying to camp your base with the intel just ends up with the enemy getting the intel and capping before you can even begin to try and prevent it. I’m sure anyone from Finland will agree that we did them a big favour by keeping the intel in our base most of the time :D

Crasp

(Legend)
BACΩN |
бекон

Was converge ok with just one flag per round? The intention there was to make sure that the final scoreboard didn’t just show 0-0, but the downside is that it may break the flow of the game a bit.

Personally I’m still looking for the perfect setup for ctf maps. Ideally I’d like it to be as easy as possible to run, i.e. run it once at the start of the map, ready up and forget about it. The old ESL bo3 format is on par with gpit for complexity and we still see teams having problems with gpit. Previous ETF2L efforts have tried using this tf_flag_caps_per_round thing, but the 0-0 score at the end of draws, as well as the overcomplicated golden cap setup, was a bit of a pain.

Any thoughts on that?

Add A Reply Pages: 1