Forum

ETF2L Pickup

Created 18th September 2010 @ 14:06

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 Next »

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

Quoted from dotfloat™

[…]That is just too much power to give to one entity.

This argument holds no weight with me, any system that makes it easier for people to play competitive Team Fortress 2 has my approval!

toasty.

PHX

Quoted from dotfloat™

[…]

That is just too much power to give to one entity.

This is on line computer games not big business.

Monkeh

.:ne:.
.:ne:.

What would be the bestest and most amazingest thing would be an intergrated 3 level pickup system. I have no clue about coding or writing programs, (hard to believe I know!), but if it would be possible then all problems disappear.

Level 1 ETF2L Pickup: Newbies / Div6 / (Div5?)
Level 2 ETF2L Pickup: Div4 / Div3(?) / (Div5?)
Level 3 ETF2L Pickup: Div3(?) / Div2 / Div1

Now obviously the more skilled/experienced would know how to arrange the div brackets better than me, but something like that.

I think the point of pickups is to have fun, but then, from a low div perspective, to learn something too. Too much segregation is a bad thing, but having skilled peeps getting annoyed by the unskilled/inexperienced amongst us is no good either.

Having the 3 levels means EVERYONE can play a pickup and not get bored/frustrated/raped in the face over and over again.

Downside: Would maybe need quite a bit of admin and setting up.

Plus-side: Everyone who wants to play pickup can, at a level they and their teamates/opponents can be happy with.

Win/Win

2p

dougiie

CotC

I think the idea itself is quite nice, but the reality of div1/2 players “wanting” to play pickups with div6 newbies is slim imo…

CommanderX

(ETF2L Donator)
TEZC

Don’t see how anyone can see this as a bad idea as long as it is done properly..

toasty.

PHX

Quoted from dougiie

I think the idea itself is quite nice, but the reality of div1/2 players “wanting” to play pickups with div6 newbies is slim imo…

I was definitely thinking of a number of pick ups along the lines of what monkeh was suggesting.

Pick up 2 (is it?) already exists for div 3+ (is it?), pixel requires 5+ (?). There just needs to be one that div 6 (plus who ever else wants to join in) can play with out having to jump through hoops.

lolage

TSPAG

Quoted from toasty.

[…]
There just needs to be one that div 6 (plus who ever else wants to join in) can play with out having to jump through hoops.

mpuktf2 1 or lobby?

I dont believe in order to make a pickup channel popular you need to make a new one.. :| just get people to go on the one which is already about!

Chaos

BAT

Quoted from lolage

[…]

mpuktf2 1 or lobby?

I dont believe in order to make a pickup channel popular you need to make a new one.. :| just get people to go on the one which is already about!

don’t let lolage in, he’ll crash the pickup bot. also, there’s loads of gather/pickup type services out there. Why do you want more? Be satisfied!

lolage

TSPAG

Quoted from Chaos

[…]don’t let lolage in, he’ll crash the pickup bot. also, there’s loads of gather/pickup type services out there. Why do you want more? Be satisfied!

haha I’ll only crash it if you make some crap config.

Skyride

DUCS

hmm…..

Ok, might as well try it. If some people want to put together a lower skill pickup channel, then I’ll provide servers and make a modified version of the bot without the invite system.

However I’m not really too interested in admining the channel, so what I need is a group of people who will admin the channel.

So if anyone is interested, get a group of friends who are all reasonable people, come and speak to me in #pixelgaming, and we’ll see how it goes. :)

I don’t think its a great idea and I don’t think it’ll last too long, but might as well give the benefit of the doubt.

toasty.

PHX

I think the pixel pick up is fine for people who are already into using irc and know the people involved and the community etc.

An etf2l pick up with easy to follow instructions on this site of how to join and multiplay servers would be far more attractive to new players.

If you could have an irc channel that was accessed through a tab at the top like “forum” or what ever (I don’t know how much work that would be so don’t shoot me).

You could just re brand pick up 2 #etf2l 1, pixel #etf2l 2, and another channel #etf2l 3 or what ever you want. Nothing would have to change.

I’ve heard loads of times that people enjoyed pick ups because they filtered out people that didn’t use irc. That’s fine but it’s pretty short sighted.

You can still have 1337 pick ups that keep out the riff raff, while at the same time giving new players that an easy way of trying 6 v 6 with out having to join a clan.

Any way just throwing some ideas out there. :D

DeNeusbeer

(Legend)
HoT<3

You mean like: http://pickups.multiplay.co.uk/

Except the fact that joining pickups for TF2 doesn’t seem to work anymore? (And that they’re still running i38 ads.)

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

Quoted from Skyride

hmm…..

Ok, might as well try it. If some people want to put together a lower skill pickup channel, .

Lower than pixel? Doubt it :D

toasty.

PHX

Quoted from DeNeusbeer

You mean like: http://pickups.multiplay.co.uk/

Except the fact that joining pickups for TF2 doesn’t seem to work anymore? (And that they’re still running i38 ads.)

Sure. :D That kind of thing would be perfect. The difference would be though that people know and trust ETF2L. This site has become a hub.

The ETF2L registration would count for a lot I reckon. If playing in the league were linked to their pick up accounts you might not get so much drama/flaming (or is that to blizzrd-esque?). :P

chocolatE :>

one day..

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 Next »