Forum

Why did valve get rid of dxlevel 7?

Created 7th May 2014 @ 16:44

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2

AnAkkk

Quoted from Selek

Very interesting, thanks :)

So it shouldn’t be too much work to have TF2 run in true OpenGL in Windows, if Valve decided to change it? Sounds like a reasonable way to improve performance to me.

Well, “true OpenGL” might need rewritting large parts of code (which I guess they’ve done for Source 2), but OpenGL through the translation layer is already possible without too much work AFAIK, I don’t know why they don’t add the option.

Quoted from Popcorp

any downsides for OpenGL? pros and cons of OpenGL and Dx?

and fire textures appear if you have mat_specular 0
enable specular and no more fire textures

OpenGL is open source and multiplatform. Direct X isn’t. They pretty much have the same features AFAIK.

EDIT:

BTW, this might be interesting http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/

Last edited by AnAkkk,

MH

So basically it’s safe to say “rip direct x”?

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Quoted from MH

So basically it’s safe to say “rip direct x”?

Depends on how bold they are, although I don’t see why not. Considering OGL is highly portable, somewhat predictable in terms of progress and, most importantly, open and at least as efficient as DX, the change of technology is only a matter of developers’ commitment to learning a new tech. There’s also the business side of things, where Microsoft works with graphics vendors to assure the highest performance with DX possible, but competing with corps like Valve working on OGL ain’t gonna be that easy anymore.

Selek

Dr. med.

Considering Valve is moving away from closed platforms, e.g. by introducing the Linux-based SteamOS and Gabe’s uneasiness of Microsoft closing up Windows with the Store in Windows 8 only being the beginning, all signs point to Valve abandoning DirectX anyway. As Anakin said (is it AnAkkk now?), Source 2 is OpenGL-based already.

AnimaL

but but dx12 was gonna go huuuge on nvidia cards (fuck amd and mantle)

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2