Forum

TF2 freezes on laptop.

Created 8th February 2014 @ 21:25

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Clark

SDCK!

So, basically, I’ve been playing on my laptop which is a decent Core i7 machine for more than 5 months now and haven’t experienced many troubles since.

Except recently (about a month ago) I started having constant in-game freezes (about twice in one game, 2-3 seconds each), which can very often mess up my game significantly.

I wondered if that was my processor’s high temperature that was the cause, but it rarely goes up higher than 72-73C.

Carlos Kaiser

Are you sure that your internet isn’t the problem?

Carlos Kaiser

Anyways try opening the power options in the control panel, change the plan settings, change advanced power settings and lower the maximum processor state from 100% to 99%.

Xearo

GTD

Just out of curiosity, what does net_graph 3 look like when it freezes for you? I had this on my old laptop and fixed it, so might be able to help.

I get it from time to time on my PC now too and my previous fix doesn’t work this time around.

Clark

SDCK!

Quoted from Carlos Kaiser

Are you sure that your internet isn’t the problem?

My lerp is always orange in net_graph, is that what you mean?

Quoted from Carlos Kaiser

Anyways try opening the power options in the control panel, change the plan settings, change advanced power settings and lower the maximum processor state from 100% to 99%.

Done. But how exactly will it help?

Quoted from Xearo

Just out of curiosity, what does net_graph 3 look like when it freezes for you? I had this on my old laptop and fixed it, so might be able to help.

I will try to make a screenshot of it when it freezes tonight.

Carlos Kaiser

Quoted from Clark

[…]
My lerp is always orange in net_graph, is that what you mean?

[…]
Done. But how exactly will it help?

You probably know that orange lerp is not good! But unless you get high in/ping the net is probably not the problem.

Lowering the max processor state greatly reduced the heat on my i7 laptop, basically when your processor is at 100% state the cpu temperature will rise a lot, i just made a guess that your freezes happened when your cpu reached 100% state. And the thing is a must have on laptops with “Intel® Turbo Boost Technology”.

Other suggestions? Check if your fps is over 1000 when you get the freezes, if yes then just cap the fps and you’re fine.

AnimaL

Laptops have graphics cards too, which depending on cooling can overheat more than cpu’s when playing games. If anything then cpu usage is rather low for TF2 so 70ish for cpu sounds a bit high. Check gpu temp and if its a problem then cap fps to hz+1 * x. Say 61,121,181 etc… Imo laptop screens are bad enough to cap fps at 121, but thats just suggestion, so you can experiment if you want.

Last edited by AnimaL,

kalhó

MM
Nave

Xearo how did you fix it on your old laptop?

Xearo

GTD

Quoted from kalhó

Xearo how did you fix it on your old laptop?

I used a program called CrystalDiskInfo to turn off my HDD’s Advanced Power Management. Can’t remember where I found the advice, but it fixed my problem 100%.

http://sourceforge.jp/projects/crystaldiskinfo/downloads/59798/CrystalDiskInfo6_1_8-en.exe/?use_mirror=jaist

Function -> Advanced Feature -> AAM/APM Control -> Disable APM

It’s not permanent – you need to turn it off every time you start up your PC – but I think there is probably a way to turn it off permanently if you mess with some registries. That’s beyond me, though.

EDIT:
Not all HDDs have the APM feature.

Also, apparently you can use CrystalDiskInfo to disable it permanently:
http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Laptop-HDD-Laptop-SSHD-Momentus/Small-How-to-Disable-AAM-APM-permanently-with-CristalDiskInfo/m-p/132218

Last edited by Xearo,

kalhó

MM
Nave

It seems mine doesnt have the APM feature. Anyway what Xacher said seems to have fixed it.

Clark

SDCK!

Did what you said, Xacher. Haven’t freezed once yesterday. Hope it stays this way :D

On the other hand, what should I with my interp? I tried changing the value but it doesn’t seem to help.

Here’s my internet settings:

cl_cmdrate 66
cl_interp_ratio 1
cl_interp 0.015
cl_lagcompensation 1
cl_pred_optimize 2
cl_smooth 0
cl_smoothtime 0.01
cl_updaterate 66
rate 60000

stabby stabby

Try defragging and make sure your hard drive has at least 15% free space.

NeuTronas

I am bumping this thread because I started having the same problem on my laptop.
After Windows 10 reinstall I have like 5-6 freezes for 3-4 seconds per match, which causes me death and I have stop/start recording demo again because I have invisible players.
Any ideas?

What kind of freezes? connection issues or actual hiccups related to the graphics card or disk?

NeuTronas

Quoted from kKaltUu

What kind of freezes? connection issues or actual hiccups related to the graphics card or disk?

hiccups related to gpu, memory or disk. I’m not sure, I am running on Fullscreen (for more fps) and quickly check where’s the real problem

Add A Reply Pages: 1