Forum

TF2 is jittery

Created 14th September 2012 @ 20:10

Add A Reply Pages: 1

crouton

LEGO

Why does TF2 feel so jittery/choppy compared to other games?

q3/QL at 125 FPS feels smooth as silk while 125 FPS in TF2 is like having cancer.

If it’s just my PC, how do I fix it? Terribly annoying.

Kaneco

I have that problem but I’m suspect since I’m running it with dx8 with a 20-30 fps average. Shitty pc.

But I would suspect HATS, you know, in 2009 I used to be able to run the game almost at Max with dx9 with no lag, now even with dx8 I have issues.

It’s just too many different items to render at all times. If you have a good graphics card tho idk why that would happen

AnimaL

id say most common cause is fps_max put on crappy number, use 0 go pro

crouton

LEGO

I have stable 125 FPS easily. It just feels awful compared to other games.

stuntz

if youre comparing those 2 games then you cant make it feel as smooth as quakelive, and even tf2 with 1000 fps it will still feel sluggish compared to quakelive.

Darn

rockit like

Quoted from stuntz

if youre comparing those 2 games then you cant make it feel as smooth as quakelive, and even tf2 with 1000 fps it will still feel sluggish compared to quakelive.

Yea no. The fps meter in the doesnt matter. If its an old game your pc will run it “smooth”. Get some proper hc hardware and youll see tf2 run smooth.

stuntz

Quoted from Darn

[…]

Yea no. The fps meter in the doesnt matter. If its an old game your pc will run it “smooth”. Get some proper hc hardware and youll see tf2 run smooth.

So youre saying that new hardware solves the problem, 300 fps isnt enough to play TF2 is that it? Its not the FPS its the engine itself and netcode in all of source code combined, the engine is full of unecessary shit that clogs the game.

dodgydogman

Panda

It runs silky smooth for me.. I think its just you bro.

Exactly same as ql..

Last edited by dodgydogman,

Deux

I got it to run as smooth as QL when I played alot 2 years back.
Was a combination of 166hz 300fps and a recently restarted server.
But even then after a while it could get “jittery” and now after some more years it’s even worse :P

AnimaL

Quoted from dodgydogman

It runs silky smooth for me.. I think its just you bro.

Exactly same as ql..

same, get a proper screen and waaay above 125fps, thats why i said dont cap it… if ur running 200+ fps (doesnt matter at all if it fluctuates, as long as its not capped and doesnt drop below like 150) its smoooooooth….other than few freezes they have in game for like a year now, buts its not general issue

oh yeah and ofc run cfg, dx8 high frames is decent, i guess u can run even default high quality but you really need a beast of a pc for it to not start jitter away on mids

Last edited by AnimaL,

crouton

LEGO

Quoted from Darn

[…]

i7 2600k @ 3.4 ghz. GTX 580. 8gb RAM.

smd^^^^

silly

Quoted from crouton

q3/QL at 125 FPS feels smooth as silk while 125 FPS in TF2 is like having cancer.

Obviously that is because Q3’s everything was designed for 125 fps including physics. That’s why it is running so smooth, not because it is just “an old game, and your PC is powerful for it”. And Source (as far as I know) wasn’t designed for any certain fps number.

Add A Reply Pages: 1