Forum

Highlander pickups are alive

Created 19th December 2014 @ 21:40

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Kaneco

Thank god HL finally entered the 21st century and left spreadsheets behind.

tf2pickup is such a good platform I was surprised it wasnt seeing more HL use.

Hope to see it even more active

Hajdzik

SUAVY
ㄕサ

RTC Gravelpit takes just 10 minutes, maybe 20 if the game is long enough but I think it would just be waste of time, steel needs a lot of coordination and it sucked even in div2+ mixes.

RTC

Quoted from Hajdzik

RTC Gravelpit takes just 10 minutes, maybe 20 if the game is long enough but I think it would just be waste of time, steel needs a lot of coordination and it sucked even in div2+ mixes.

Balanced games of Payload tend to last around the 15-20 mark, and I find it to be a similar case with Gpit. If Gpit is being played as a sole map during a week in the season like the payload maps, then it deserves the same representation as them. Same with Steel.

Steel does require co-ordination, but isn’t co-ordination one of the most important factors in the game?

Hajdzik

SUAVY
ㄕサ

Need more feedback about steel and gravelpit, but from a dozen mixes on those maps I can see they are not very liked in casual games. Maybe we will play steel few times before steel week but I will se how often we will play.

Toast

WEED
S-O

Don’t add Steel and Gpit. They will be a lot harder to fill, which is already a problem on HL pickups from time to time. Gpit and steel won’t Work in pickups either, as they require too much proper teamwork before they are actually fun to play. I’m not sure if it’s still in, but croissant should go to imo.

Hajdzik

SUAVY
ㄕサ

Only one not standard map in rotation is coalplant, we considered couple more in the past. You can see them in first post.

If people would like to see some new maps to playtest I will propably just set few pickups to it rather than adding it permamently. Maybe we will have standard rotation for most of the days and sometimes will organize events or rather early in the afternoon have play one or two custom map.

Last edited by Hajdzik,

MS

0fo
0FO

Quoted from Toast

Don’t add Steel and Gpit.

+1

Kaneco

Hmm I really don’t see the point in removing gravelpit and steel if these are actual maps in the season map pool, if you have no team then there’s not really a way to practise them in a competitive environment. I think for the average skill level tf2pickup expects a big part of the players should know what they are supposed to do even on these special maps, surely there are some special strategies which are a bit harder to do or play against in a mix team (pushing A->Last) on steel for ex, but with decent communication it can definitely be done.

Toast

WEED
S-O

Quoted from Kaneco

Hmm I really don’t see the point in removing gravelpit and steel if these are actual maps in the season map pool, if you have no team then there’s not really a way to practise them in a competitive environment. I think for the average skill level tf2pickup expects a big part of the players should know what they are supposed to do even on these special maps, surely there are some special strategies which are a bit harder to do or play against in a mix team (pushing A->Last) on steel for ex, but with decent communication it can definitely be done.

Why practise gpit without a team?

Some prem teams don’t even know how to play the map. The maps require stragedy and prerperation that a mix simply can’t provide, and it just isn’t fun to play. Considering how unfair the teams are a lot of the time, its just stupid. Keep in the relatively simple maps (PL, Koth, 5CP), as im pretty sure that is what people want to play. Not to mention how hard it would be to fill gpits and steel. DONT add them.

Scissors

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from Kaneco

These will literally never fill. Just saying

Kaneco

Quoted from Toast

[…]

Why practise gpit without a team?

Some prem teams don’t even know how to play the map. The maps require stragedy and prerperation that a mix simply can’t provide, and it just isn’t fun to play. Considering how unfair the teams are a lot of the time, its just stupid. Keep in the relatively simple maps (PL, Koth, 5CP), as im pretty sure that is what people want to play. Not to mention how hard it would be to fill gpits and steel. DONT add them.

What you are saying is the equivalent of “why are these maps even on the map pool if no one wants to play them”…

Maybe it’s just me but I enjoy gravelpit or steel equally as many other maps. Theres already the issue that teams don’t scrim these maps, if you take them off pickups you can only practise them in pcws if anything, Ive heard of prem/high teams that only play these maps in officials and not anywhere else.

I can kinda agree with gravelpit because its ADDA and thats a bit difficult to organize in pickups due to technical limitations but steel? It’s a CP map, albeit with a different layout, it’s not like its rocket science to play the map.

Last edited by Kaneco,

.zero

-chess-

Quoted from Kaneco

[…]

What you are saying is the equivalent of “why are these maps even on the map pool if no one wants to play them”…

Maybe it’s just me but I enjoy gravelpit or steel equally as many other maps. Theres already the issue that teams don’t scrim these m,aq

Can you even read?

Hajdzik

SUAVY
ㄕサ

Maybe before steel week we will do it like I figured it out with sunshine this week? Wouldn’t be in the map rotation like sunshine but we could just play it once early afternoon. For people who want it.

If it wont fill up we can always do another map. But might give it a shot as non regular map.

Last edited by Hajdzik,

RTC

If there’s a case where a certain map wouldn’t fill, I tend to get in contact with a Pickup moderator to change the map to a more popular one. So, if at 10pm, if a map like Coalplant is selected, it would be changed to Upward for example.

As Kaneco said, there’s no harm in trying to get a few Steel pickups going at peak times in preparation for Week 7. If you’re able to co-ordinate with a mixture of players, you should fair much better with your own team.

Toast

WEED
S-O

Quoted from RTC

If there’s a case where a certain map wouldn’t fill, I tend to get in contact with a Pickup moderator to change the map to a more popular one. So, if at 10pm, if a map like Coalplant is selected, it would be changed to Upward for example.

As Kaneco said, there’s no harm in trying to get a few Steel pickups going at peak times in preparation for Week 7. If you’re able to co-ordinate with a mixture of players, you should fair much better with your own team.

There is harm though. Why add a map, that only will accomplish the pickup not filling, and the players having to call an admin in to change it. The map is pointless for pickups, because it requires teamwork to be fun, which it won’t be. The majority of players on pickup aren’t joining because they want to play those maps. They want to play normal maps. They won’t fill either; DONT add them, I beg you Hajdzik!

And for the record; HOW DESPERATE would you need to be, if you headed on TF2pickup to practice maps like gpit and steel?

Last edited by Toast,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »