Forum

TF2Center.com, from pub to competitive

Created 5th August 2013 @ 23:08

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 18 19 20 ... 33 Next »

Koeitje

AUTOBOTS

There’s plenty of people that are so bad at this game even after 3000hr that I’d consider them playing as “trolling”.

But whatever, what Spike said.

Spreijer

CONCORDIA

I think foxy rather meant those hacker trolls, that come to your server, start changing their names, and when you kick them they get the rcon for your server and shut it down. Also they start spamming some weird stuff in mumble and leave. It’s hard to get proof on any of that, unless you record the whole process, or get the server logs which don’t really say much. Even if I get their steam id’s, they’ll just make alts and start doing the same. Usually you can just kick the normal trolls, but this is something different.

I have no idea how they to that, but evil told me it was something related to executing commands through tf2center.

Last edited by Spreijer,

quintosh

wL.

Quoted from Spreijer

I think foxy rather meant those hacker trolls, that come to your server, start changing their names, and when you kick them they get the rcon for your server and shut it down. Also they start spamming some weird stuff in mumble and leave. It’s hard to get proof on any of that, unless you record the whole process, or get the server logs which don’t really say much. Even if I get their steam id’s, they’ll just make alts and start doing the same. Usually you can just kick the normal trolls, but this is something different.

I have no idea how they to that, but evil told me it was something related to executing commands through tf2center.

its not something executed through tf2center and its not a rcon hack, if they had the rcon they would do much worse stuff such as changing your config.cfg to whatever annoys the shit out of people
its just a server crash exploit in the engine

Last edited by quintosh,

quell

UbeR |

Quoted from Spike Himself

If someone wants to troll, they are going to. Such is life.

If you really really really insist on having a restriction on hours played, then have it 10 hours maximum. That should be plenty to discourage griefers (ie alt accounts).

lol as if that would be enough. leave the game on for a day and youre good to go.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from quell

[…]

lol as if that would be enough. leave the game on for a day and youre good to go.

Like I already said, if someone is sad enough to put in that much effort just to be a troll, then that someone is going to be trolling either way.

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

Like I already said, if someone is sad enough to put in that much effort just to be a troll, then that someone is going to be trolling either way.

They can do that every day with no effort. If they want to idle for up to 50-100 hours, and then be banned in a few minutes, then that’s a worthwhile trade of our time.

Spike Himself

TC

It sure is, until you count in all the legit players that want to start out playing TF2 competitively, who you are actively denying just that.

Cases where someone hopped in competitive before 100 hours (like kaidus), are probably quite rare. Let’s be honest, it might turn off a few players, but it’s going to stop dozens of trolls.

ondkaja

IKEA

A 100 hour limit seems to be a fairly lazy/bad solution to this problem. Perhaps it is for the better to just have a 1-10 hour limit and solve the griefing problems through active moderation instead.

feeling

ist doof

I for one support the 100 hour requirement, keep it up. Reservoir dog summed it up nicely.

Scissors

(ETF2L Donator)

It was my understanding that leaders could put requirements on their own lobbies? I don’t see a reason to enforce something unto all lobbies to be honest, especially when the leader already has the option to do it

Also, can a player with a private profile not play lobbies then?

Popcorp

thanks for the connect string feature, much easier to connect now and saves time, because i for some reason it won’t auto connect me

Last edited by Popcorp,

Cuttlefish

6v6

Can you do something about leaders changing the password after the lobby starts? I’ll try and join as sub, but get bad pass, then I get reported and my reliability goes down.

hr

As previously mentioned any hour restriction unless it was like 5 hours is bad simply because it alienates people that enjoy competition but haven’t played TF2, there will be those that don’t enjoy playing pubs and as this is the lowest form of competition putting a 100 hr restriction is just wrong, if this is here simply to stop alt accounts then just make the restriction 5 hours and people aren’t going to bother to make a new alt and then spend 5 hours just for 1 session of ‘trolling’.

Quoted from Reservoir Dog

Cases where someone hopped in competitive before 100 hours (like kaidus), are probably quite rare.

As for this I can say this is almost certainly not true,TF2 is my first comp FPS and I’ve played less than 10 hours of quake live but I still watch most of the casts of duels and if there was a competitive lobby system in that game I would not want to feel like I had to go play pubs for 90 hours before I could go and play it.

Toba

(a boT from the North)
Lutunen

TY for the full connect strings.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 18 19 20 ... 33 Next »