Forum

pickup.con-gaming.net

Created 15th May 2013 @ 15:01

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 17 Next »

Shrike410

evCon.

Quoted from Kaneco

I’m actually interested in your “journey” on this project, did you start this from scratch with 0 coding experience? How long did it take you to get the feel of it and start building actually usable stuff?

I’m in my 4th semester computer science. I have never really worked on any big project, most of it was either implementing algorithms or small proof of concepts.
So while I have programming experience, the real problem is keeping everything easy to understand, maintain and update.

Writing the actual pickup logic was really easy for me and thanks to flask being a pretty good documented framework, the server and database were also pretty easy after getting used to it after a day or so.

The only annoying thing was learning html, css and js/jquery syntax and quirks, but i guess after all it worked out okay.

I had the first version of this done about a month or so ago, when it was still just an irc bot.
Then I talked to Arie about making a website for it and somehow ended up making one myself, with getting some advice of him once in a while. He pointed me to flask, through which I then found gevent and websockets(bunch of stuff that makes this simple) and then I just started writing from there.

Though it might seem like I am close to a proper pickup, I still have a lot of things to rewrite properly, non-hacky and implement and bunch of things in the background.

Ultimately I’m looking to have multiple chat channels with separate pickups(9v9, ultiduo, bball, maybe also NA servers?) but that is super far away if I ever get to it.

sphynx

Quoted from Datenshi

[…]

Let us know if that works. I tried accessing the website with two different versions of firefox (including the most recent one) but couldn’t reproduce the issue.

Well, lucky you :D

nTraum

\V/ Gold
LAME

@Arie

Flask instead of Sinatra? How could you? :ooooooooooooo

Arie

(serveme.tf)
FB
[FB]

Quoted from nTraum

@Arie

Flask instead of Sinatra? How could you? :ooooooooooooo

Shrike wanted to do it in Python :)

Xearo

GTD

Would be cool if you could see the people in the current waiting list/in the chat when you aren’t logged in; I’ve always just thought it was empty so never tested it until earlier when someone suggested we try it. My bad. :D

Quoted from Xearo

Would be cool if you could see the people in the current waiting list/in the chat when you aren’t logged in; I’ve always just thought it was empty so never tested it until earlier when someone suggested we try it. My bad. :D

Adding the active status to the page when you’re not logged in is on our to-do list! We might add the userlist too. And when I think of something better I will change the login page to something not boring, I promise!

Sketch

MM

bump

I figured I better write the recent changes in here too.

*Added content to the About, Servers and Rules pages.
*Implemented the unfriend functionality – medics can now unfriend people by clicking on themselves
*Added placeholder pages for About, Servers, Stats and Contact. Added a simple Rules page.
*Updated the footer with some links.
*Fixed a bug where the pickup would not start properly.

Whole changelog with current known bugs can be found on the website.

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

I can’t connect with chrome or firefox :(

Quoted from Sideshow

I can’t connect with chrome or firefox :(

What kind of error do you get?

sphynx

Quoted from Datenshi

[…]

What kind of error do you get?

Ok, it’s not about the browser, at least in my case. Gave the link to other italian guys with my same provider (Fastweb) and they can’t open it aswell.

Trath

Quoted from sphynx

[…]

Ok, it’s not about the browser, at least in my case. Gave the link to other italian guys with my same provider (Fastweb) and they can’t open it aswell.

Does the site not load at all or does it load and not work?
It is possible your ISP blocks websockets, you can call support and ask.
Maybe you and your friends have the same anti virus?

sphynx

Quoted from Trath

[…]

Does the site not load at all or does it load and not work?
It is possible your ISP blocks websockets, you can call support and ask.
Maybe you and your friends have the same anti virus?

Not loading at all, I use Kaspersky and the other 2 guys have no antivirus.

Sketch

MM

bump thread i wanna get another pickup going on here

CHERRY

Quoted from Arie

[…]

Shrike wanted to do it in Python :)

Because Python is just better than Ruby :)

Last edited by CHERRY,

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 ... 17 Next »