Forum

Highlander pickup channel - #tf2.pug.hl

Created 13th December 2012 @ 21:52

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 5 Next »

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Hi pandas.

A young squire named Q-ball managed to do clever computer stuff beyond my simple minded comprehension to deliver the pug.nahl bot on Quakenet allowing us euros to play pickup games (Pugs) for Highlander.

The bot is still being tested, we haven’t to this date played any games on it as it has only been put up today. Therefore I am asking you, the community to come forward and play some 9v9 games. We’re currently using the Sandviches are Forever game server and mumble, which we are grateful for but the chances are this will change in due course. Also the bot is, as I mentioned a carbon copy of the bot used in North American HL pickups, which means it uses a captain system where you pick players. This may also change in time but it is the quickest way to get a bot running and our main concern is to get an active channel going for HL, I know there is enough of a demand for it.

To join in the pickup, you need to have an IRC (Internet Relay Chat) client installed. If you don’t know how to use it, here is a quick beginner’s guide – http://www.multiplaygameservers.com/help/irc-guide/
There are other free IRC clients which are different from the one I use and the ones recommended in the guide, you can find a list of them here – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Internet_Relay_Chat_clients.
Other people have recommended to me the following:

– X-chat
– irssi
– ChatZilla
– Webchat – http://webchat.quakenet.org/

You can find them and their most recent versions in the link posted above.

Once you’re set up on IRC and you’ve joined the Quakenet network, you need to join the channel #tf2.pug.hl to play. Once in, you simply have to type !add in the chat to join the next pickup, e.g. !add Medic if you wish to play Medic, or if you wish to play a variety of classes, !add Scout medic pyro…etc. You can find out the current map selected to be played on the next pug by typing !map and you can find out which mumble server to use by typing !mumble. To bring up a list of the rest of the commands you can type !help in the channel.

Once there is at least 18 players added with at least 2 of each class chosen to be played and 2 captains, the bot will begin the picking process. The two “captains” will begin picking the teams and classes, if you are selected you will be PM’d the server info and your team colour when the picking process is over. You will then have 5 minutes to get on the game server and join the mumble server in the correct channel. Once you’re in the game will begin! Good luck and have fun, but remember to be nice and be on time, if you can’t play remove yourself from the pickup and if the pickup starts and you can’t play, you need to find a sub for yourself as soon as possible, otherwise you will get a warning.

I will update this topic as more is known, for now hop on the channel and play some Highlander!

Last edited by Hildreth,

booyakah

Hell yeah! Get on IRC people!

rge

nice. will try.

Black_Bob

[DA]

Awsome will hopfully join a few of these games soon :D

JimmyB

FNR!

looks neat. Hope this gets some attention, Lobby Highlander sucks

kKaltUu

UbeR |
-chess-

oh god oh god oh god, now I need to auth again and do this ;_;

unu

Quoted from kKaltUu

oh god oh god oh god, now I need to auth again and do this ;_;

no auth needed at the moment.

We actually had a game going. The teams were quite even, although one team people barely used comms. Some people said 5 people were mute. If you want to play highlander mute, go to tf2lobby.

The other team on the other hand was the opposite, people kept talking over each other :D Was great though.

Too bad the bot died due to excess flood after the first pug and now the bot admin is afk. But hopefully a game or two tomorrow. Spread the word

san alex

ahah I played the first pickup, fun fun fun! furbo is the best medic ever.. :D

irfx

EPA

Doubt it will be popular, cause hl community is quite small (active part of it at least), fans of this gamemode already got used to common double mixes, new people wont join it because of irc which is a stone age. It is much easier to make a private lobby and give a link on etf2l forum like crack clan does.

quell

UbeR |

Quoted from irfx

Doubt it will be popular, cause hl community is quite small (active part of it at least), fans of this gamemode already got used to common double mixes, new people wont join it because of irc which is a stone age. It is much easier to make a private lobby and give a link on etf2l forum like crack clan does.

i think the idea is to have a more accessible, and especially easier way to play games than uncommon double mixes.

irfx

EPA

We’ve been playing these double mixes for a year I guess, so they are already common as hell. Dunno what motivation should be to just add some unnecessary irc thing. If to get new players – irc would only alienate them. And these mixes need new faces – cause always the same people are playing.

Roque

brz
[hePPa]

I personally have been interested about all thing highlander since thesucker made me carry he’s ass at i46 but havent ever even heard about your doublemixes :(

where you playing, can I join?

unu

Quoted from Roque

I personally have been interested about all thing highlander since thesucker made me carry he’s ass at i46 but havent ever even heard about your doublemixes :(

where you playing, can I join?

The group for doublemixes; http://steamcommunity.com/groups/9v9colony and the spreadsheet made by lovely yonus http://goo.gl/WlvSR

Black_Bob

[DA]

Some great games tonight :) Hopfully I will get to use this channle a fair bit! Double mixs somtimes dont happen each evening so a pickup channle is very welcome!

The ability to vote for which map to be played would be pretty handy :)

unu

Who said this was an impossibility?! We had 3 games going tonight (if not more).

The code of the bot is being looked over and feel free to leave suggestions for improvement.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 ... 5 Next »