Forum

serveme.tf - free TF2 server reservations

Created 25th October 2012 @ 09:38

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 7 8 9 ... 35 Next »

Arie

(serveme.tf)
FB
[FB]

I need some help getting a bunch of traceroutes during the times with high pings, especially if you have one of the following ISPs, or if you’ve experienced high pings with another ISP on the FB reservation servers.

UPC.nl/chello.nl
UPC.cz
apollo.lv
orange.fr
telenor.no
rol.ru

If you’re willing to help, please make a traceroute at 19:45 CET, or any time you have a bad ping to the FB server.

1. Make a traceroute: Open a command prompt window (start, run, cmd) and enter: tracert fakkelbrigade.eu
2. Wait for the output to finish
3. Copy the output by selecting the text on screen and pressing enter
4. Share the output by pasting it on this website: http://gist.github.com
5. Please enter your ISP name and country in the description
6. Paste the link to the pasted traceroute here, here’s mine https://gist.github.com/Arie/10230e52e41301db6260

Thanks!

SabaSaba

[hePPa]

This logs.tf feature is fancy. Many thanks again.

Andee

GoT<3
HoT<3

Will send you a traceroute later. I have 100+ ping constantly with UPC to the Hetzner servers.

Arie

(serveme.tf)
FB
[FB]

Quoted from Andee

Will send you a traceroute later. I have 100+ ping constantly with UPC to the Hetzner servers.

Looks like Hetzner can’t/won’t fix it. So me, Andee and others with bad routing will have to suck it up until it sorts itself out.

I’m considering a few ideas to deal with this type of issue. My ultimate goal is to make this system the best experience for playing TF2 clanwars, and you can’t be the best if some people have bad routing for over a month ;)

Last edited by Arie,

Arie

(serveme.tf)
FB
[FB]

I’ve just finished coding and testing a way to add remote servers. For now it’s SSH based so it would require user-level shell access on the remote machine.

This is needed for a few things:
write the reservation.cfg file to the server’s disk
restart the server even if the rcon was changed
transfer the logs to the reservation website
zip the demos/logs on the server
transfer the zip to the reservation website

In related news, I’ve been approached by a server hosting company who wants to provide a server for the system. That won’t use SSH unfortuntely for me, but the management API they provide combined with FTP access. This should mean that the reservation system works the same for their server too :)
I’ll keep you up to date and name them when things are looking like they’re going to work.

If you know of a server hoster willing to give user level shell access, or a company that has an API that could provide the things the reservation system needs, please ask them to contact me, or give me their contact details.

tl;dr servers in multiple geographical locations coming soon-ish

Last edited by Arie,

Legend

herpderp

DAKKA

Quoted from CUBE

Legend

nTraum

\V/ Gold
LAME

If you’re fine with a chroot / jail, hit me up on IRC.

Arie

(serveme.tf)
FB
[FB]

Quoted from nTraum

If you’re fine with a chroot / jail, hit me up on IRC.

I will :)

Panromir

|LZ|

Quoted from CUBE

Legend

Arie

(serveme.tf)
FB
[FB]

I’m looking for some brave volunteers to test nTraum’s remote server.

I say remote..but really…it’s with the same hosting provider as my own server. So if you ping badly to FB, you’ll ping badly to nTraum.

Last edited by Arie,

Arie

(serveme.tf)
FB
[FB]

I’ve made nTraum’s server available in the reservation system. I’ve added a little (Beta) in the description of that server, but it should work just like the FB ones.

Arie

(serveme.tf)
FB
[FB]

A new server was added. Generously provided by slate!

It’s a German server, but it is not hosted at Hetzner, so if you ping badly to FB/nTraum you now have an extra option to choose from, woohoo! :)

Arie

(serveme.tf)
FB
[FB]

* Added a servers providers page, so you can see the awesome organisations and individuals that have contributed a server: http://server.fakkelbrigade.eu/pages/server_providers
* Added position/order to the servers. This way I can control which servers get picked first when making reservations. This should make certain servers be used more often.
* Optimized the way remote servers get communicated with, which should make starting/ending reservations faster.

Next up on my list of features:
* Warning message using ‘rcon say’ on the server when your reservation is about to expire. Current plan is to warn every minute when there’s less than 10 minutes left.

Unless you have a better feature request of course ;)

Last edited by Arie,

Starkie

ulti?
sniper

Do you mean http://server.fakkelbrigade.eu/pages/server_providers

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 7 8 9 ... 35 Next »