Forum

Looking for a 6s demo mentor :)

Created 23rd July 2015 @ 22:34

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Quoted from tim.

Well, kkaltuu is (was) in my mid team, so we’re just joking around (I was his leader on which he was bashing). I watched all vanilla insights, all mge and all other pov videos that I could find. I play about 1 hour of tr_nowbots, tr_rocket_shooting and tr_walkway every day and spent my last year of bad internet connection doing that and practicing rollouts (which I get 90% of the time nowadays spot on). So, my pill aim is improving slowly, my rollouts are alright (for open atleast), my stickies are a bit off – so my dmg output isn’t too impressive. I’d say that’s probably due to poor positioning and not really picking the right spamming areas, since aiming stickies is a non sequitur.

If you do a lot of practise like that then next thing to work on would be making it realistic, try find a good MGE partner who will play Scout / Soldier vs you on Demo and let you use sitckies. Note this person needs to be half decent for you to improve, then if you 1v1 on a lot of maps you will be able to learn/read movement in particular areas of the maps better, it will help a little bit.

Also if you do tr_walkway, I advise try different speeds for bots but ALWAYS change the bot model to match the class speed, cos I used to find I would aim at Soldier models like they were Soldiers when they were set at scout speed, now if I have the right model my brain can process their speed and aim accordingly.

If you feel you got the mechanics down to a decent level, then you really should start analyzing play. This includes doing honest self-analysis and reviews of your own POV demos from matches (I tend to not focus on pcws as even if my team is 100% focused, if we play an unfocused team, it is more down to opponent mistakes than my learning). Focus on games you did “Okay” or “Bad” on, not good games, though it’s worth reviewing them if you have time so you can try and judge if your success was down to your teammates, your brilliant amazing super sexy skill or them making error after error.
And keep watching STV Demos of Prem/Invite Demoman, videos/guides and casts…but try and understand each play, but also try spot the errors as you should learn to think for yourself here, Prem players do make mistakes. For every bad fight, try to ask “why did they lost that fight, could the Demo done more? Or did he do a lot of damage but their teammates didn’t shoot the right people? Or did the Demo get denied by a certain player who was predicting what he was going to do? Or did the Demo waste ammo on a certain target?” Anything with comms is great, War is streaming these days, so get in it and ask those questions to yourself but also you get the bonus of his teams comms so you can see some thought behind each move.

but also since you’re open, this is a BIG tip – Try to watch Mid level Demos as the skill gap is much less and you will most likely watch them and think “I can do 80% things he does, I need to learn the 20%, thats what I used to do when I was in Div 6, watch Div 4 povs, and in Div 4 watch Div 2 povs and so forth.

Last edited by Hildreth,

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

I uploaded a poor quality, both in video and gameplay…review of a game. Release part 2 of it tomorrow and hopefully do some more.

https://youtu.be/PPm5x2IcF8k

tim.

Sorry for not answering hildreth, i’m on holiday and the lack of internet is slowly killing my will to live … aand to check forums apparently. Thank you for the wall of text (I actually managed to read it!). Some good tips there – I found them quite helpful, but the thing is – i’m not getting much of watching my demos on my own – not very good in it – thats why I was searching for someone to do 1-2 with me – give me some idea of what to watch for.. Aaand would you perhaps happen to have any idea where I could find the povs of the mid demomen in question?
P.S.: thanks for the answer kratos – i’ll add you as soon as my internet connection allows me to open a web page without considering suicide in the process

tim.

kr4tos, steam says your friends list is full, maybe you could add me perhaps ?

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2