Forum

Starting Out. Hey There.

Created 19th September 2014 @ 00:31

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2

Yeowdle

Wow, really surprised on how you guys are so quick on giving me answers , thank you.
@CHERRY When you say Demo is the hardest, how so? Should I think about improving another class? Or would it be more beneficial to stick with Demo and just keep practising?

Also where you guys are saying play lobbies, what are they and how do I play them? Do I do it on here, another site or on TF2 itself….

CHERRY

Quoted from Yeowdle

Wow, really surprised on how you guys are so quick on giving me answers , thank you.
@CHERRY When you say Demo is the hardest, how so? Should I think about improving another class? Or would it be more beneficial to stick with Demo and just keep practising?

Also where you guys are saying play lobbies, what are they and how do I play them? Do I do it on here, another site or on TF2 itself….

Play whatever you like, but in lower division might not get enough protection from the opposing scouts and killing them might be hard with just a projectile weapons, that being said demo is a very fun class to play so I’d stick to it.

You can play lobbies on tf2center.com once you learn the rollouts, it might give you a good basics :)

Last edited by CHERRY,

Yeowdle

Ok, I will stick to Demo :) Just checked TF2Center, there only seems to be two lobbies. Do more appear throughout the day at different times, or am I not looking at it correctly.

CHERRY

Quoted from Yeowdle

Ok, I will stick to Demo :) Just checked TF2Center, there only seems to be two lobbies. Do more appear throughout the day at different times, or am I not looking at it correctly.

Yeah there’s usually more than that. Also make sure to play on EU ones :)

STOGE

TDP

Quoted from Yeowdle

There tends to be more in the evenings than there is during the day.

Yeowdle

Tried doing the “Rollouts” for Demo and to be honest, they are a pain to do…. It really did take all the fun away from playing the class… So I’ve decided to maybe leave Demo (And Solider) for now at least and instead I’ve started to use my 2nd most played class, the Sniper. Now would you say the Sniper is a competitive class? If so, is worth having one in a team? And do I need do a “Rollout” for it? Again any loadout recommendation for this class…. (I’m use to using Huntsman/Stock Sniper Rifle, Razorback and Kukri)

CHERRY

Quoted from Yeowdle

Tried doing the “Rollouts” for Demo and to be honest, they are a pain to do…. It really did take all the fun away from playing the class… So I’ve decided to maybe leave Demo (And Solider) for now at least and instead I’ve started to use my 2nd most played class, the Sniper. Now would you say the Sniper is a competitive class? If so, is worth having one in a team? And do I need do a “Rollout” for it? Again any loadout recommendation for this class…. (I’m use to using Huntsman/Stock Sniper Rifle, Razorback and Kukri)

Sniper won’t really work for 6v6, but he’s being used in HL.

ash

(Legend)
:D

Sniper’s usually only played as off-class in 6s, by scouts or the roaming soldier. If you’re afraid to get a basic rollout down as demo (no-one requires you to do kaidus’s rollouts perfectly in div6…), you’ll have a hard time in competitive generally. There are many things to learn, many things to practice – rollouts are simply one of the more boring, but also one of the most simple ones to learn.

Last edited by ash,

hr

Quoted from ash

rollouts are simply one of the more boring, but also one of the most simple ones to learn

speak for yourself man, I don’t really like playing demo but I still practice the rollouts now and again because I enjoy them and if it wasn’t for them I’d never even want to play demo in mixes.

Yeowdle

Well after watching many and I mean, MANY YouTube videos and constant practise, I feel like I’m getting the hang of the Demo’s rollout. On Badlands at least. Will I need to learn the rollouts/callouts for all the competitive maps before starting to play? Or would knowledge of the main map be enough?

(I was looking around and people were saying to start with “Mixes.” Where do I go to do this?)

Last edited by Yeowdle,

Setlet

Quoted from Yeowdle

Well after watching many and I mean, MANY YouTube videos and constant practise, I feel like I’m getting the hang of the Demo’s rollout. On Badlands at least. Will I need to learn the rollouts/callouts for all the competitive maps before starting to play? Or would knowledge of the main map be enough?

(I was looking around and people were saying to start with “Mixes.” Where do I go to do this?)

Learning to do a good rollout in maps is advantageous, if you know how to play your cards right and deny the enemy demo, but on some maps, demo rollouts are not as important as you might think.

In Granary, you can take the healthpack from the 2nd point and go to balcony.

In Gullywash, you can just go to Big Doors and wait for your medic there until you both climb on either choke (usually yours)

In Process, you don’t need to learn the fancy surfing rollouts, just do basic jumping and wait for your medic at choke.

Badlands rollout can be made much easier with only losing maybe 3-4 seconds. After the spawnfreezetime jump, you can drop down to your cp1 to get a very easy jump to main door (so you never hit the roof). After that you can try to do the stair jump but even pros usually hit the roof so it’s not a big of a deal. Take the small health pack and just drop down from the small passage and put a sticky onto the floor and jump to your house. Grab the medium healthpack and head off to your balcony, where you can start spamming the enemy demo. When you get better, you may want to learn the fast rollout as well.

——

Knowing the names of different parts of the map won’t be an issue if you are just playing tf2center. But if you are needed to call, just saying “left” or “right” can be as effective. There are people at the Badlands Trash? Just call it behind the 2nd point. There is a scout at the enemy big doors? Just call it “at left”. You will eventually memorize the names. I usually use the Badlands mid layout to call for other maps, like saying gullywash’s banana as “shithouse” or big doors as “canyon” and people tend to understand me, I hope :D

——

Mixes are basically 6 people gathering to play as a team, usually initiated by someone who wants to play and asking his friends to play with him who then ask their friends etc… If you don’t have any friends, then getting into mixes can be hard. Typing “mix/merc” or just “mix” after your name in Steam might let people know you are into that stuff. There was a Steam Group for new players in order to gather mixes, but it has died.

hr

Quoted from Yeowdle

Will I need to learn the rollouts/callouts for all the competitive maps before starting to play? Or would knowledge of the main map be enough?

In short yes you need to learn both rollouts and calls for all maps you play but it doesn’t take too long to learn calls (you can just use left, right, top, lower, main etc as standard calls anyway if you don’t know names).
Jumps can be practiced alone and you can start with easier versions of some rollouts, plus if you’ve looked at badlands first that’s probably the hardest common demo rollout in the game (yes harder than the fast process one).
Mixes are usually done with some friends of a similar level and looking for opponents on irc here http://irc.lc/quakenet/tf.wars/
There might be some new groups for mixes that I don’t know about maybe someone posted that already but you could find some friends by playing on tf2center, personally I just started with the equivalent of tf2center + watching casts and then joined a team before doing any mixes as it was my team mates that invited me to mixes.

Yeowdle

Okay, I now feel like I’m making progress with the Demo. I’ve got the rollout (kinda) sorted for Badlands and the callouts memorised. What would be the other maps for me to start looking at?

(Don’t worry about the maps now, saw that @fraac listed some. :) Thanks.)

Last edited by Yeowdle,

BRASILGORILA99

Another thing you want to work on (You probably already have) is your dm. You can be fast and all of that rollout, but you still need to hit your stickies and pipes.
To start out practicing (you can do it literaly anywhere, from dm servers to lobbies) i would recomment going to a fast respawn cp_orange and work there untill you can kill literaly anything that comes near you. After that I would recomment soap_dm servers, (huhy’s one being my favored here) or even MGE (note that most people rage at demos on mge so try to play with someone you know so no rage goes on)
gl&hf :3

SabaSaba

[hePPa]

Remember that you can play main demoman in 6vs6 and in highlander. You should try both, at least in tf2 center or somewhere else.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2