Forum

LF Solly Mentor

Created 23rd August 2014 @ 22:53

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Le Steve

Just competed in the HL Open, got to the second round of the knockouts as solly for the team, didn’t do too badly. Coming up to 700 hours on tf2 now, and got around 100 hours as solly.

When talking to my team leader, (definitely agree with him on this), he said that I have good game sense, but lack the skill to execute the ideas.

As far as 6s go, I haven’t really got into the playing side of it all, but watched a fair amount of it, including i52 (which is immense). I generally think my play style would elect to be closer to roamer, but it’s something to be worked on/decided tbh, as I haven’t played a lot of 6s.

Hope to hear from all you pros some time.

Feel free to ask any extra questions, or just add me for a chat.

Le Steve

Bump (off on holiday for a week, but will still have wifi)

Schalalaa

Seagulls

if you’re just getting into things i suggest looking for all the content that’s out there, you don’t need a mentor to play in d6.
just play the game and try to get a feel for it.
if you think your dm is lacking, join one of the many dm/mge servers and get stomped until you get better.

have a look at:
http://comp.tf
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD098F81F2CA74F00
https://www.google.com/search?sitesearch=teamfortress.tv%2Fthread&q=demo+review&x=0&y=0

Le Steve

Cheers, I have been doing some MGE but I’ll get stomped some more I guess. And cheers for that youtube link, looks great.

bub

Roamer tip:
watch flanks

Pocket tip:
guard your medic and do damage

akachu

Check out roaming fundamentals by technosex.

Search it on youtube
also medimarx

akachu

Quoted from bub

Roamer tip:
watch flanks

Pocket tip:
guard your medic and do damage

this might sound like hurr shoot the ground get kills durr

but meanwhile its actually very true, roamer might be a pick class but only at times you cant’t let your scouts do all the work.

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

This might be an unpopular view, but I think coming from the lower divisions the fastest way to improve is training your mechanical skills.

Take a basic jump map like rj_rckteer, master it and try something harder.

With soldier you are spoiled for game modes to train in, so play MGE, DM, BBall, Ultiduo and even aim maps like tr_walkway or the classic tr_rocketshooting2 until you are consistently hitting every shot.

When you are playing these training modes constantly analyse your own play. Ask yourself what you could have done differently each life; did you just miss the shot or did you over-predict? Were you taking a fight from a bad position? Are you too predictable in your behaviour? You get the idea.

Also find a way to play with players who are better than you on a regular basis, be it something like tf2pickup.net or find a nice group of mixers.

Continue to apply the analytical mindset outside of training modes to team games, but don’t fall into the trap of blaming your team mates first before asking what you could have done differently, lest you become a toxic gamer :D

Muuki

sirkkels
GG

Quoted from Admirable

This might be an unpopular view, but I think coming from the lower divisions the fastest way to improve is training your mechanical skills.

Take a basic jump map like rj_rckteer, master it and try something harder.

With soldier you are spoiled for game modes to train in, so play MGE, DM, BBall, Ultiduo and even aim maps like tr_walkway or the classic tr_rocketshooting2 until you are consistently hitting every shot.

When you are playing these training modes constantly analyse your own play. Ask yourself what you could have done differently each life; did you just miss the shot or did you over-predict? Were you taking a fight from a bad position? Are you too predictable in your behaviour? You get the idea.

Also find a way to play with players who are better than you on a regular basis, be it something like tf2pickup.net or find a nice group of mixers.

Continue to apply the analytical mindset outside of training modes to team games, but don’t fall into the trap of blaming your team mates first before asking what you could have done differently, lest you become a toxic gamer :D

this is actually so true and in my opinion, the best way to approach getting better at solly. if you cant hit your shots or rocketjump into required places, it doesnt matter how smart you are/how good your gamesense is. i can also speak from experience; when i was starting playing solly, i just played jump maps and mge a lot, i never looked at demos or anything, just practised my mechanical skills 24/7

edit: also by playing against gay people in mge u learn to do stuff like holding high ground naturally because if u want to win in mge, just having good aim isnt enough

Last edited by Muuki,

feeling

ist doof

Adding an “unpopular opinion” I think people who are starting out don’t really need a mentor because they will improve significantly by just playing and working on their mechanical skills as Admirable pointed out. Also there’s a ton of helpful guides and resources out there. In my opinion a mentor is most useful once you hit a brick wall you can’t overcome by yourself.

Last edited by feeling,

Add A Reply Pages: 1