Forum

How useful are mentors?

Created 28th April 2014 @ 18:31

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »

Sabesaroo

11/9
COGU

If you’ve been mentored, how much do you think you improved?

ash

(Legend)
:D

It always comes down to the individual mentor and mentee. Can you take the criticism you are given? Can he give you valuable insight?

You know yourself best.

Pandahh

NASA
hi im dog

YESSSSS! Ever since we got our we have improved so much.
#Monkeh <3

Dandere

It depends on the mentor and how much time they can give to you, if they’re prepared to go over your demos and point out where you’re going wrong and answer your questions, then it could be pretty great. I wouldn’t have improved so much if it wasn’t for my mentor.
#thanksMirelin

kzr_

gR.

Always talked a lot with bunch of spies in order to discuss our little tricks but one day I added Lenny in order to get him to watch a pov or 2 of mine and have I’m to explain to me how what he thinks/acts in certain situations and all the gunspy way to play (by the time I was a CnD knife only spy) and he taught me so much. It was a great experience in order to bost my gamesense and style at the time. The rest only comes with practice …

phromelo

8-)

its helpful when you have 0 experience, imo playing mixes with better/more experienced players or watching povs with comms is better

Last edited by phromelo,

bub

99% of the time, mentors don’t press m1m2wasd for you. When they do, they do it better and with style.

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

Fish was the greatest.

lazyluk

It all depends on if you listen to your mentor or not. And you should always take what they say with a pinch of salt as they might be wrong once in a while but overall its extremely useful. What I also do to get better is watch better players comp povs with there comms and see what they do. When doing so you need to question the players decision and then learn from the choices they made right or wrong. Sometimes even helping out players that are not as good as yourself helps as you see them do certain things you would never think about as they don’t know all the strats they make up there own which can be pretty good.

alba

duplo

It was super helpful, he helped me from div 6 to div1 and in div 1 too.

Tuto

8-)

Quoted from kzr_

Always talked a lot with bunch of spies in order to discuss our little tricks but one day I added Lenny in order to get him to watch a pov or 2 of mine and have I’m to explain to me how what he thinks/acts in certain situations and all the gunspy way to play (by the time I was a CnD knife only spy) and he taught me so much. It was a great experience in order to bost my gamesense and style at the time. The rest only comes with practice …

and you’re stil shit HAHA

love you

Muuki

sirkkels
GG

as long as you dont expect your mentor to make you into a good player; the point of coaches is to help you, not to do everything for you

MIndYe

[hePPa]

Just focus on the stuff your doing while playing. If you die, think about why you died. If you win a round, think about what you did and why it worked the way it did. Never “just play a PCW”. The human brain naturally likes to do things that have worked in the past and gaming is no different. But it also likes to do familiar things in situations that you haven’t experienced before. Which means that whenever you practice, every once in a while put yourself in a bad situation and test what results you can get with different actions. The mentor can point out your mistakes for you, but finding them yourself is what makes you see what you have to do to fix them much faster.

byte

Course a mentor is useful, as long as the actual mentor is of suffice level and has the ability to teach, then it’s a very good thing.

Only problem is I’ve noticed a huge skill gap in what gets taught to certain people. For example I’ve come across when mentoring say a div 4 player, they tell me that “this guy from div 2 said to do it this way” when I know it’s completely the wrong advice to give. So it’s like no wonder people don’t advance so much.

The idea is when mentoring you make your student understand the logic not tell him if something is wrong or right.

Taught many in the past and I’ve always like tried to maintained a logical and understanding approach, once you get that into your students head it’s just a case of refining and tweaking it :) The best part is, the student won’t know or see that this logic will advance him/her so quickly within a season.

Cheers

Byte

Compare it to school. Do you need extra lessons or are you able to learn by practicing.

Or look at it even more generally. (Now comes only my opinion, don’t feel offended.) Have fun playing videogames. The places to practice should be uni/school(!), sports, social stuff etc.

Real success pays off and satisfies way more than virtual success does.

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 3 Next »