Forum

A question to prem/div 1 medics

Created 2nd January 2014 @ 22:06

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 Next »

ondkaja

IKEA

Quoted from skeej

[…]

It was actually someone else who took the time and effor to get some people on a server. If I remember correctly he went medic, with 2 soldiers in front of him self damaging constantly. He healed them while switching between the 2 targets quickly. He did this with Valve (c) Autoheal and Scripted Autoheal, and the result was that Valve autoheal resulted in a faster built uber (I think it was about 2 seconds = 5% charge?). 95% or 100% can be gamechanging in some clutch situations indeed.

@kos, @kaidus, etc: When discussions go about retardedly anal details like this, there’s always people that say “who cares, go focus on more important stuff”. Yes, there is other stuff that will generally impact the game in way more significant amounts, but that doesn’t mean that every other detail doesn’t count. It doesn’t negate the fact that these details could possibly make or break very specific scenarios.

ondkaja’s solution is awesome… I never thought of that… It gives you the technical advantages of valve autoheal, but still allows you to not heal in those rare instances where you don’t want a heal target for a sec (for instance stop flashing someone who’s capping a point, but still keeping the uber on yourself)

The script I use looks like this:

alias weapon1 "slot1; alias +medicatk ss_n; alias -medicatk ss_f; syrisaw; hud_combattext_healing 1"
alias weapon2 "slot2; alias +medicatk mg_n; alias -medicatk mg_f; medigun; hud_combattext_healing 0"
alias weapon3 "slot3; alias +medicatk ss_n; alias -medicatk ss_f; syrisaw; hud_combattext_healing 1"

alias atk_n "alias syrisaw +attack; alias medigun -attack"
alias atk_f "alias syrisaw -attack; alias medigun +attack"
alias ss_n "+attack; atk_n"
alias mg_n "-attack; atk_n"
alias ss_f "-attack; atk_f"
alias mg_f "+attack; atk_f"

alias +medicatk "ss_n; spec_next"
alias -medicatk "ss_f"
atk_f

bind 1 "weapon1"
bind 2 "weapon2"
bind 3 "weapon3"
bind mouse1 "+medicatk"
bind mouse2 "+uber_chrg"

You can use tf_medigun_autoheal in combination with this (I do this because I tend to sometimes hold down mouse1 to be more prepared to flash someone). The downside of using tf_medigun_autoheal is that the only way to stop healing someone is to switch weapon or aiming at nothing and pressing mouse1. The upside is 0% uber loss when switching targets (which should be fairly negligible anyway).

So this script enables inverted +attack when you have medigun, but disables it when you switch to primary or melee.

Last edited by ondkaja,

kos

ft.
bobs

Quoted from skeej

[…]

@kos, @kaidus, etc: When discussions go about retardedly anal details like this, there’s always people that say “who cares, go focus on more important stuff”. Yes, there is other stuff that will generally impact the game in way more significant amounts, but that doesn’t mean that every other detail doesn’t count. It doesn’t negate the fact that these details could possibly make or break very specific scenarios.

You’re supporting my argument?. When you are the perfect medic you can start concerning oneself with such comparatively minute details. As you have said, there are bigger fish to fry in terms of improving ones medic play, as far as I’m concerned, the optimal autoheal setup is pretty low down on the list.

Quoted from ondkaja

[…]

SOURCE?!

I used an arbitrary value to exaggerate the insignificance of such a figure.

Quoted from AnimaL

dont question kos, he finally got to prem and can be a elitist asshole as we all as much as he wants

mkey

Bitter much?
You should be amazed that I dignified this with a response. You should be the scale that all medics are measured by, you have been around as long as tf2 and haven’t improved or declined in skill in any measurable way. I have never seen anything as stagnant as the great Animal. So shut the fuck up. No one values your opinion. Ever.

Hallow

P.O.P

fuck you kos you can’t read and argue like a fucking retarded toddler (the lnes that can’t put the cube in the square hole)

2nuts

Quoted from kos

[…]

Bitter much?
You should be amazed that I dignified this with a response. You should be the scale that all medics are measured by, you have been around as long as tf2 and haven’t improved or declined in skill in any measurable way. I have never seen anything as stagnant as the great Animal. So shut the fuck up. No one values your opinion. Ever.

OHHHHHHHHHHHH SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTv1TmNJxYY

Last edited by 2nuts,

Starkie

ulti?
sniper

Quoted from kos

Bitter much?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh1RIjdkZwI&t=61s

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

omg the mad pars

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

Quoted from kos

[…]
You’re supporting my argument?. When you are the perfect medic you can start concerning oneself with such comparatively minute details. As you have said, there are bigger fish to fry in terms of improving ones medic play, as far as I’m concerned, the optimal autoheal setup is pretty low down on the list.

No. Getting the best out of your videogame is not an inherently sequential process defined by some hierarchical order of seperate modular competence and proficiency elements. One can work on different aspects at the same time, because these elements operate on different levels of the game.

To take this topic’s specific example: Using the best autoheal config is something you do outside of a live game, and therefore does not interfere with you trying to improve your ability to, say, position yourself, perfect your movement, decide on your healing order, etc.

Aside from that, it is also quite obviously a fallacy to state that minor details like the most optimal healing script/mechanic only matter at a level of near-perfection. 5% is 5%, no matter what level you play at.

edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugy2MpD-mrE&t=2m23s

Last edited by skeej,

kos

ft.
bobs

Quoted from skeej

[…]

No. Getting the best out of your videogame is not an inherently sequential process defined by some hierarchical order of seperate modular competence and proficiency elements. One can work on different aspects at the same time, because these elements operate on different levels of the game.

To take this topic’s specific example: Using the best autoheal config is something you do outside of a live game, and therefore does not interfere with you trying to improve your ability to, say, position yourself, perfect your movement, decide on your healing order, etc.

Aside from that, it is also quite obviously a fallacy to state that minor details like the most optimal healing script/mechanic only matter at a level of near-perfection. 5% is 5%, no matter what level you play at.

edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugy2MpD-mrE&t=2m23s

Mans got his skates on.

WOW. How can you interpret that as me meaning that there’s like a 5 step programming to being a perfect medic and your config is step 5… Being a perfect medic is unattainable, everyone can improve. I don’t know how I can avoid repeating myself here, so I’ll try and say it more clearly this time.

If I want to improve my medic play. I will watch a demo or something. It has never once occurred to me to focus on one aspect of one mechanic of medic play. Ubers are not the be all and end all of medic, and even within that mechanic there are more useful areas of study (for lack of a better phrase).

IN MY OPINION, such a use of time can be better spent . I see it in the same way as I see div4 soldiers that still play MGE incessantly to improve, despite having good aim. Their intentions are good but completely misguided.

Hallow

P.O.P

striving to have perfect healing is more than an attempt to improve, the messing about with scripts and configs is recreationally stimulating to a lot of people.

Bulle

Epsilon
LEGO

The perfect Medic needs at least 3 drops per map.Everything else doesn’t matter that much.

freshmeatt

‹Con›

Quoted from kos

[…]

Mans got his skates on.

WOW. How can you interpret that as me meaning that there’s like a 5 step programming to being a perfect medic and your config is step 5… Being a perfect medic is unattainable, everyone can improve. I don’t know how I can avoid repeating myself here, so I’ll try and say it more clearly this time.

If I want to improve my medic play. I will watch a demo or something. It has never once occurred to me to focus on one aspect of one mechanic of medic play. Ubers are not the be all and end all of medic, and even within that mechanic there are more useful areas of study (for lack of a better phrase).

IN MY OPINION, such a use of time can be better spent . I see it in the same way as I see div4 soldiers that still play MGE incessantly to improve, despite having good aim. Their intentions are good but completely misguided.

Time on figuring out whether scripted or valve’s autoheal is better has been already spent, so it’s time to acknowledge that and move on. I don’t quite understand why you two are arguing over this when, by ‘common’ sense, improving is a continuous process and figuring something out, like in this case, is a one-time activity.
The fact that only a fraction of players will learn from it now and the rest will try to reinvent the wheel later is another matter.

wai

TEZC
TEZC

Quoted from Bulle

The perfect Medic needs at least 3 drops per map.Everything else doesn’t matter that much.

if thats the case, my teams medic is super naturally talented at medic! ^_^ love you rab! xxxxxxxx

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from kos

I don’t know how I can avoid repeating myself here

The trick lies in not pressing the ‘add reply’ button. You’ve completely misunderstood what skeej was trying to say there’s there’s little point to repeating yourself anyway.

kos

ft.
bobs

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

The trick lies in not pressing the ‘add reply’ button. You’ve completely misunderstood what skeej was trying to say there’s there’s little point to repeating yourself anyway.

Jesus Christ will you shut up with your passive aggressive shit. I can read English, I understood perfectly well what he said.

OK, just for the sake of clarification. Of course I am not against copying and pasting of someone’s config because it gives the best heal setup, that would be idiotic. It takes all of 2 minutes and makes a quantifiable difference to your game.

I am against the premise of this thread; the mindset of medics/players in lower divisions with regards to improving. The obsession with shortcuts to being good, replicating the setups of prem players as if it’s gonna make them any better. I’m yet to see any real theory crafting or legitimate questions about actual play on this “Training & Tactics” subforum. It pisses me off that more people will use a prem players config than watch their demo.

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from kos

[…]

Jesus Christ will you shut up with your passive aggressive shit.

I am not even being passive aggressive, calm your horses lol

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 Next »