Si^

T2P
[PG]

Quoted from Califax

[…]

Eyefinity medic represent! :D

http://etf2l.org/forum/general/topic-16137/page-1/?recent=289962#post-289876

It has helped you leaps and bounds…

So over the top, just learn to move your mouse.

Last edited by Si^,

Califax

dyn.

Quoted from Si^

[…]

It has helped you leaps and bounds…

So over the top, just learn to move your mouse.

Sorry to disappoint Si, i got it when i needed to get over my ex… So was allready running Eyefinity before i started playing 6v6… ;)

Only bummer is i’m not allowed to take it to LAN… :(

Thalash

wG
S-O

Quoted from Toasty

I find it so amusing that the people saying medic is so easy, are the people who are bad at medic.. No offense thalash.

I’m offended.

:(

Si^

T2P
[PG]

Quoted from Califax

[…]

Sorry to disappoint Si, i got it when i needed to get over my ex… So was allready running Eyefinity before i started playing 6v6… ;)

Only bummer is i’m not allowed to take it to LAN… :(

you have my apologies :3

CommanderX

(ETF2L Donator)
TEZC

Quoted from Spike Himself

[…]

Actually forgot you :(

Why should some names not be there though? (or more interestingly; which ones? :D) They’re all “higher div” medics and this guide is aimed at newcomers.

Firstly the name that should be left out:

” Some players you should definitely have a look at are Fish, Agron, dunc, F2, Torden, Admirable, Taimou, Mirelin, ThePledge, Royze, TheSucker, dajackal, skeej, Byte, flushy, ..”

Fish, Admirable, Taimou, ThePledge, skeej shouldn’t be.

And here is why. If this guide is for newcomers to the game then they should watch the most mistake free play possible. Identifying whether something was good or bad is easy, “we pushed we killed everything and capped” good, “we ubered in but I fail saved my players and we all died without capping” bad.

This is simple and once you grasp the basic gameplay of TF2 you can quite comfortably identify if something went well or if something went badly for a team just by watching. However, new comers to the game (And many many lower div players) are not capable of identifying the reason behind success or failure.

Stupid plays work in TF2 and the lower down the divisions you guy the more often stupid plays will work. What this causes is an false sense of learning, “We pushed like this, it worked. Therefore that was a good push”. Where as i’m sure everyone has anecdotes of capping last and thinking “lol how the fuck did that work?”. This means you messed up but the other team messed up more.

A good example of this would be Taimou’s ‘glory’ plays where he plays battle medic and goes for ubersaws etc. He looks like a hero when they come off but the frequency of these very high risk plays is not smart gaming. Also, throw in to this that Taimou only gets away with as many ‘glory’ plays as he does because of good medic dm (As you call it). If a play depends on dm, then these newcomers are not likely to have a high level of dm to get away with it, the key words there being GET AWAY WITH IT.
If your teams gameplay is focused on dm you will not be as consistent a team that relies more on strategy. This is where everyones favourite emo/rage phrase of “come on! these other guys aren’t even good, why the fuck are we losing!” comes from.

To really start improving in TF2 you need to be able to start identifying why something works, once you know why something works you can exploit that to force the situation where something works to happen more. Even watching someone like Mirelin wont be that beneficial because his dm is so good it often gets him out of being too far forward. Watching Mirelin get out of the wrong position with nice movement would most likely to lead to players thinking that because Mirelin survived that he was in a good position to get out from when really he made a mistake but his gaming skills were sufficient to save him.

Newcomers will not have this experience and ability to distinguish between intelligent plays, the other team failing or luck. So therefore you should give the newcomers the most intelligent medics that make the least mistakes until they have the experience to more correctly identify a good, bad or lucky play.

I’m going to talk about myself here because no one else is as interesting. In my VanillaTV insight video we lose the match but from watching the whole thing you should see how our comms and play and particularly my calls go from good to bad. Watching someone do something wrong can be just as educational as watching someone do it right. But i wouldn’t give my video to a newcomer saying here learn from this :D

Also, another small side note. The thing you posted from Kuma about uber charge mechanics. That was posted in april 2010 and i do not think it is actually right anymore. Was talking with people the other night and i think ubercharge is now built by heals done rather than over time. So you might wanna double check the facts in that thread.

Last edited by CommanderX,

skeej

(ETF2L Donator)
UbeR |
Fe |

I’m just gonna ignore the part where you slag me off for no reason. The content of your post is more based on team dynamics than specific medicing. Granted, all medicing decisionmaking depends on the team’s dynamics but it’s the same for the rest of the classes. There is a good point to your post, but in my opinion “smart plays” are down to team coördination and comms more than prefab pushes. Ultimately it depends on the individual ability of team members to cooperate.

You end your post by admitting that you’re totally uninformed though (and have to “talk with other people” and still end up with incorrect information), that was kinda lawl.

Dummy

Quoted from skeej

I’m just gonna ignore the part where you slag me off for no reason. The content of your post is more based on team dynamics than specific medicing. Granted, all medicing decisionmaking depends on the team’s dynamics but it’s the same for the rest of the classes. There is a good point to your post, but in my opinion “smart plays” are down to team coördination and comms more than prefab pushes. Ultimately it depends on the individual ability of team members to cooperate.

You end your post by admitting that you’re totally uninformed though (and have to “talk with other people” and still end up with incorrect information), that was kinda lawl.

reason was given though skeejie

CommanderX

(ETF2L Donator)
TEZC

Quoted from skeej

I don’t know how you took that as an insult.

And it was merely an after thought as me and some other people were talking about it last night and thought valve had changed it

ijswezel

swimp

h my god one time i was playing Team Fortress and healed the soldier and he died and the flag fell on me i was running around in a panic and just unplugged my computer

Admirable

(Toucan Ambassador)

Damn, this classification is a new low for me :D

I used to be best medic in Korea… where did it all go wrong?

Taimou

Quoted from CommanderX

[…]

I agree, you shouldn’t watch me play if you’re new to the game.

In the other hand, if I make “glory” plays they’re mostly safe and I get away from the situation because its kind of safe and I know what the fuck is going on. Sometimes I don’t and I make a stupid play and I die but that’s kind of “rare.”
I’m not talking about going all in in last point push or anything like that, for an example: going for a ubersaw hit while everyone in my team is buffed and I can get the advantage with it or something like that a kill etc.

EDIT: “If your teams gameplay is focused on dm you will not be as consistent a team that relies more on strategy. This is where everyones favourite emo/rage phrase of “come on! these other guys aren’t even good, why the fuck are we losing!” comes from.”

This isn’t true, teams with big focus on DM arent more inconsistent at all, the playstyle needs a lot more focus and puts massive strain on a player and can be hectic most of the time. I’m actually saying that if you want to be a DM oriented team, you need to be better in almost every context compared to the enemy team, gamesense is in every players own mind and the calls come from the maincaller and you do according to it, this way you just have to focus what has been told to do and just shoot people.

It does make some people ragey(like me) if things do not go as I like.

Last edited by Taimou,

Si^

T2P
[PG]

Quoted from CommanderX

[…]

MASSIVE TRUTH BOMB

agree with all expect skeej id say he is straight up good to take advice from and intelligent.

On the whole this discussion is fundamentally pointless I always make the point you should make the class your own and find what works for you. Sure you need core fundamentals, but trying to force a whole play style upon a new player is not the right direction.

as Taimou is the centre of discussion here i’d say I think he is a good example of this. Most people would say he is too aggressive or just an idiot and yeah they are right but its his style of play which will work for the right kind of team..

cba to write more concerning this topic as its just a who can have the biggest ego topic.

Nmx

ᴷᵈ

medic easy road to high div. – rarespycrab

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from Si^

as Taimou is the centre of discussion here

where did we go wrong :(

ThePledge

I like this post a lot. Good work Spike, should be helpful for a lot of people new to the class or to the game. I also appreciate you putting me in the list of recommended medics, but I wouldn’t put myself there :D

I’ll make sure to refer people to your post when they come to me for medic advice. It usually helps when you show them other people feel the same way I do ^_^

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »