http://www.vanillatf2.org/2011/09/ask-fish/#more-18909

answers!

Starkie

ulti?
sniper

Quoted from Jazz

[…]

i’m not prem but..

First off is the scout pulling down your whole team? If so you may wanna consider getting a new scout partner. If its his pure DM tell him to play more and maybe some MGE as well.

Tell him that he can’t snipe and that when he asks/goes sniper just say stop/no. start nice get harsh. Tell him that him sniping is us playing with 5 players.

You could put him into a more passive scout role just sit back and stand there and then you play a more aggressive scout.

OR make the other like the bait and set up baits around corners so you get the kill and it doesnt matter if he can’t aim as the main idea is that the player just tricks a player into following him so you can kill the player he has baited.

Equally just ingore the moaning and getting mad. Let him rage or tell him to suck up.

But if all fails and he is still being a douche i would consider kicking and just leaving him. After all, its just a game.

hope this is useful from a not prem/scout pov

MGE and DM wouldn’t help him because of the hitreg

jackkai

8D

Quoted from Starkie

[…]
MGE and DM wouldn’t help him because of the hitreg

I like

konr

You’re both cunts. I hate you.
;_;

Hildreth

Bully
Pander

Play nice people.

Dr-GimpfeN

9g1c

Quoted from jackkai

Hi i need help.
I play scout in a team
and i think we could get good if my scout partner was not shit.
Is there anything i can do about this ?
he always moans after deaths and get mad when other people tell him what hes doing wrong

What should i do ???

*He also thinks hes a good sniper when he is blatantly shit.

Thanks in advance Jackkai

sounds like me lol

Sideshow

(ETF2L Donator)
ft.
WiK?

Some things I really struggle with, which involve suiciding as a roamer.

When is it acceptable to suicide to force the opponent? I often get shouted at to get out rather than pop them, and feel I’m too aggressive but it needs to be done.
When is it acceptable to suicide for a pick on the demo? Although this is good and can often be done, it’s not enough to push with if I go down as well, so it sometimes seems useless.

Wabbeh

What do you and your team do when encountering a new map for the first time?

redned

CiC

My question for you Mr Fish is as follows and is more about clans/squad/communities.

How would you suggest building a new squad/clan in such a way that it doesnt collapse in a heap after a couple of loses?

What are the basic requirements for the squad, like server, mumble or website etc?

How big should a squad be considering the 6 person teams in leagues?

Lastly – when are you coming home to CiC you old git!

ned

Quoted from redned

My question for you Mr Fish is as follows and is more about clans/squad/communities.

Seeing as others have given their $0.02, here’s mine.

Quoted from redned

How would you suggest building a new squad/clan in such a way that it doesnt collapse in a heap after a couple of loses?

When recruiting people, don’t simply recruit for skill but also for personality and overall mentality. People who can take a loss without going emo and in general get along well with the rest are infinitely superior choices to someone who might be a bit better skillwise but can’t really handle losing and/or doesn’t get along as well. A group of friends playing will be able to take losses far better – since they’re still playing with friends.

Quoted from redned

What are the basic requirements for the squad, like server, mumble or website etc?

Server and mumble, imo. That’s the barebones basics in order to get going and be able to play PCWs. Website etc is all extra.

Quoted from redned

How big should a squad be considering the 6 person teams in leagues?

Aside from the 6 main, obviously, 2 backups imo. Preferably with overlapping classes (scout/soldier/medic & soldier/demo) so you have more flexibility when you need backups playing.

FIR

SnG

Hmm. Interesting tips here. Some of which I can use myself :)

I have a question as well. As a medic, what defines “good positioning”? I’ve always gotten comments about fixing my positioning, but I can’t wrap my head around it. For example, in badlands, while defending choke, some would stand on launch (or whatever you call that little bit scouts use to double-jump spire) so that they can get a quick exit to trash if things get sour, but some people disapprove of it, often by simply saying “its bad positioning yo”. So if possible, could you define positioning in much more clearer terms?

Another question, medics are usually main callers, but is there any way I can have someone further up in the battle (say a solly/demo) to main call? I find it quite difficult to get a good image of what’s happening if I’m always at the back, not knowing what’s going on in front. I find that I can make judgements easier if others tell me what’s going on, rather than me doing all the directing for the team. Sort of like a “tell me what’s going on, I’ll tell you the appropriate action you can take”. Maybe it’s comm problems, but for all its worth its best to ask rather than be in the dark.

redned

CiC

Thanks Buffalo – CiC is 12 years old so i am kind of experienced at running clans, but we have struggled with some of the smaller squads recently as you tend to recruit a couple of friends into your team and then one gets annoyed so you lose multiple players.
Evan big community clans like CiC have trouble with new squads and so i think the advice should be “dont give up after a few loses or leavers, clans have natural lulls so dont panic”

Fish

UCAP.

First set of answers can be found on vanilla in my wall of text! otherwise add to our steam group http://steamcommunity.com/groups/vitaltf2 and i can be found in there to chat too i usally hang round in the group chat if i am available, FIR feel free to join up and grab me for a 20min chat around your question same as your trane

Spike Himself

TC

Quoted from FIR

I have a question as well. As a medic, what defines “good positioning”? I’ve always gotten comments about fixing my positioning, but I can’t wrap my head around it. For example, in badlands, while defending choke, some would stand on launch (or whatever you call that little bit scouts use to double-jump spire) so that they can get a quick exit to trash if things get sour, but some people disapprove of it, often by simply saying “its bad positioning yo”. So if possible, could you define positioning in much more clearer terms?

There are several key points that constitute a “good position”. First and foremost, it would be a position where you are least vulnerable to spam and flanking, or at the very least be able to see it coming so that you can dodge it. Another important factor is being able to still heal your pocket/demo in their respective positions. Badlands choke is a terrible place to be as medic imo. Launch pad is where the spam pipes land so you wouldn’t want to sit there. I prefer to sit closer to the house but it does require you have a soldier there to stop an enemy soldier/scout from flanking you.

Some examples:

Holding gullywash last, sit left near the little medpack/ammopack, and have a scout cover the top right entrance (to lobby). You won’t get sniped there and you can easily see and dodge the incoming spam from right side.

Holding badlands mid (forward, with uber advantage), you may feel inclined to sit next to the house exit so you can’t be spammed from choke, but then you can’t heal your pocket/demo when they try to peek/spam in choke, so you kinda have to sit more forward between house and the train. Sometimes I like to sit on the train itself so I can jump off either side depending on what’s coming in.

Holding granary 2nd, I like to sit far back on the left side if there is in any sort of disadvantage. You’re close to the exit to last so you can run when things turn bad, and you can see incoming enemies from all directions (unlike when you’d sit on the right side, where you can’t see the garage area). If you’re close to uber and plan to actually push out you can sit closer to the point.

Quoted from FIR

Another question, medics are usually main callers, but is there any way I can have someone further up in the battle (say a solly/demo) to main call? I find it quite difficult to get a good image of what’s happening if I’m always at the back, not knowing what’s going on in front. I find that I can make judgements easier if others tell me what’s going on, rather than me doing all the directing for the team. Sort of like a “tell me what’s going on, I’ll tell you the appropriate action you can take”. Maybe it’s comm problems, but for all its worth its best to ask rather than be in the dark.

If you’re ok with maincalling but you lack the information to do so, it’s team comms you need to work on – make sure your team calls enemy positions etc. Having said that, it’s fine to have a pocket solly or demoman to maincall instead if that works out better for you.

Quoted from redned

Thanks Buffalo – CiC is 12 years old so i am kind of experienced at running clans, but we have struggled with some of the smaller squads recently as you tend to recruit a couple of friends into your team and then one gets annoyed so you lose multiple players.
Evan big community clans like CiC have trouble with new squads and so i think the advice should be “dont give up after a few loses or leavers, clans have natural lulls so dont panic”

Yeah starting a new team is tough as fuck since there’s so many factors you need to consider, and getting the right combination of players takes a lot of time. Though the fact there’s so many people who whine and ragequit after a few losses is annoying and detrimental.

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »