Forum

Horrible FPS (on old computer)

Created 12th March 2010 @ 00:10

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Reload

BiG
BiG

Hello,

Because the graphics card of my comp died, I’ve been trying to get TF2 running on my old computer. I’ve got it working, but with bad FPS. I think it averages about 25-30, but it stutters quite often (sometimes short, sometimes a bit longer).

My specs are:
AMD Athlon 2400+ 2.0 ghz processor
512mb RAM
ATI Radeon 9250 256mb
WinXP Pro 32-bits

I’m running num1ocked’s high fps config (same one as m0re’s I think) with Multicore Rendering disabled and I use ATI Tray Tools to force the LOD to the absolute lowest. My resolution is 1280×768 (16:10). I don’t know if this has any influence on it, but I use Flame’s HUD. I don’t have any launch options set.

Does anyone know what else I can do to further increase my FPS, besides the obvious ‘buy better hardware’?

Sketch

MM

sounds about right for your fps on that rig tbh
try 800×600 res or lower

Last edited by Sketch,

Reload

BiG
BiG

Yeah I’m not expecting miracles, but if I could only get rid of the stuttering it would help a lot already. Changed to the lowest 16:10 reso but it didn’t help much..

Edd

T2P

Quoted from Reload

Yeah I’m not expecting miracles, but if I could only get rid of the stuttering it would help a lot already. Changed to the lowest 16:10 reso but it didn’t help much..

dont run 16:10 run 4:3 and 640×800

octochris

(0v0)

Try running windowed and at a 4:3 res, the lowest 16:10 res is nowhere near the lowest.

Reload

BiG
BiG

Changing to 640×480 helped a bit, it runs at about 30-40 fps with barely any stuttering, so at least it’s playable. Thanks for the help. If anyone knows any other tricks to boost it a bit, please post them so I can try it out.

BERSERKER

broder
PRO

run it in 10:16

octochris

(0v0)

Quoted from BERSERKER

run it in 10:16

it’s nice to see that you’re back for more trolling sir

Beefy

Vuze.

Quoted from Reload

… I don’t have any launch options set …

Dont you need some for m0re’s high fps to put it into dx8 and whatever ( I don’t about numlock’s but he said they were the same…) ?

From m0re’s high fps autoexec file:

// _______________
// | READ THIS |
// ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
// x:Steamsteamappsteam fortress 2tfcfg
// clear config.cfg ;; dont clear bind commands
// right click tf2 > properties > launch options
// -dxlevel 81 -w 1280 -h 800 -full -console -novid -heapsize 1572864 -freq 75 -nojoy -noipx -noforcemparms -noforcemaccel -noforcemspd
// -dxlevel x -w x -h x -full/window -console -novid -heapsize x -freq x -nojoy -noipx -noforcemparms -noforcemaccel -noforcemspd
// ____________________
// | LAUNCH OPTIONS |
// ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
// -heapsize ;; system memory/2 (x 1024) | [ 2048 / 2 (x 1024) = 1048576]
// -nojoy ;; Disables joystick to reduce memory usage.
// -noipx ;; Don’t load IPX Connections, save ram.
// -noforcemspd ;; Use desktop mouse speed settings.
// -noforcemparms ;; Use desktop mouse buttons settings.
// -noforcemaccel ;; Use desktop mouse acceleration settings.
// -window ;; This enables tf2 to start in a window mode, instead of fullscreen.
// -full ;; This runs tf2 in full screen mode.
// -freq ;; Set the Refresh Rate
// -nocrashdialog ;; Suppresses some memory could not be read unhandled errors.
// -32bit ;; Forces the engine to start in 32-bit mode. Only useful on 64-bit Operating Systems.
// -dev ;; Enables developer mode. Also disables the automatic loading of menu background maps and stops the quit dialog from appearing on exit.
//
// -autoconfig ;; Restores video and performance settings to default for the current hardware detected. Ignores settings inside any .cfg files until this parameter is removed.
// _________________________________________________

Last edited by Beefy,

Reload

BiG
BiG

Hmm, hadn’t seen that. Put it in the launch options but so far I haven’t noticed any real increases/changes

Slick

Epsilon

add a stick of ram
overclock cpu

Fodi

Quoted from Slick

add a stick of ram
overclock cpu

This, plus get a second-hand Geforce 6600GT (AGP): its quite cheap nowadays but you’ll feel the difference…

Edd

T2P

you could also try game booster, this tbh gave me +5 fps on a shit pc i had to use, this was crucial as before i had only 10 fps xD

forgot to add the link xD http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

basically it closed down programes that your pc doesnt need to use whilst your ingame, and with the touch of a button you can reactivate once you have finished.

Last edited by Edd,

Add A Reply Pages: 1