Forum

How to move tf2 folder to second hdd

Created 30th December 2009 @ 13:26

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Klevah

Hey, i have 2 hdd in my computer 160 each, i havent used the second 1. I m wondering if i can in anyway have tf2 running on the second 1 since when you record the files are kinda big and i dont have so much space left on the first hdd. Thanks

AnimaL

c – program files – steam – steamapps> copy paste

whats so hard?

poxie

whats so hard?

Pretty sure that wont work, well to an extent. Steam will try to access the files from the C drive – its original location, not the drive he copies his ‘tf’ folder to, need to get Steam to read from the new location.

If you do this Steam will re-download all your old GCFs, so you’re back in the same spot again ;p

If you re-install Steam to the empty drive, then start a download of TF2, then stop it, copy your old team fortress folder across to the new drive in the steamapps bit, once that’s done restart Steam. Et Voila

* Just remember to backup your GCF/TF folder before the uninstall, not sure if Steam removes the game files when uninstalled.

Last edited by poxie,

Klevah

whats so hard?

I wish it was that simple

RaCio

GoT²

copy
paste
delete clientregistery.blob
run steam

Last edited by RaCio,

Klevah

whats so hard?

Pretty sure that wont work, well to an extent. Steam will try to access the files from the C drive – its original location, not the drive he copies his ‘tf’ folder to, need to get Steam to read from the new location.

If you do this Steam will re-download all your old GCFs, so you’re back in the same spot again ;p

If you re-install Steam to the empty drive, then start a download of TF2, then stop it, copy your old team fortress folder across to the new drive in the steamapps bit, once that’s done restart Steam. Et Voila

* Just remember to backup your GCF/TF folder before the uninstall, not sure if Steam removes the game files when uninstalled.

So what you are saying i should backup all the cfg files in “steamapps”
then reinstall steam to the second hdd, start installing tf2, stop it. Move all the cfg files to the new steamapps folder in the second hdd. And then copy my account name folder, to the steamapps folder ?

Klevah

copy
paste
delete clientregistery.blob
run steam

Just copy the whole steam folder ?
where do i find the clientregistery.blob ?
also dont i have to make a “program” folder in the second hdd ?

poxie

So what you are saying i should backup all the cfg files in “steamapps”
then reinstall steam to the second hdd, start installing tf2, stop it. Move all the cfg files to the new steamapps folder in the second hdd. And then copy my account name folder, to the steamapps folder ?

Indeedy

NeoN

boys

steam / ClientRegistry.blob

Just copy the whole Steam folder anywhere you want, then delete this file in root folder of Steam application. Nothing special

Tapley ❤

TEZC
TEZC

– Backup Steamapp folder – say cut it to your desktop.
– Uninstall steam via add remove programs
– Install steam on your new HDD Letter
– Cut the steam apps folder from your desktop to the new drive, say yes to copy over all files.

Client registry.blob is in the main steam folder i believe.

RaCio

GoT²

Yes

Should be in the steam folder if I remember well.

Only if you want to.

You could reinstall steam, but this should work to.

Last edited by RaCio,

Klevah

steam / ClientRegistry.blob

Just copy the whole Steam folder anywhere you want, then delete this file in root folder of Steam application. Nothing special

Damn if this dosent work hahah, so i dont need to make a programs folder in the second hdd ?

Klevah

Yes

Should be in the steam folder if I remember well.

Only if you want to.

So many choices lols, im going with this “crossing thumbs”

Klevah

Forgot to say also, thanks so much for the quick reply guys :)

Klevah

Hurray it worked, thanks so much !!!! :D
“thread can be closed”

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »