Forum

Corrupt file help please.

Created 5th January 2015 @ 13:56

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Monkeh

.:ne:.

TF2 is being a dick and I was hoping for a little insight from those with brains that work better than mine.

I try to load TF2 and get an ‘Engine Error’ that tells me my ‘scripts/items’items_game.txt’ file is corrupt. Please verify your local game files.

I have done this a few times. I have re downloaded the entire game. I have deleted said file which results in the game not starting due to a missing file. Once restarted I get the same error. I’ve stopped steam syncing my files and tried all of that again and still no dice.

Anyone have any idea what I could try next?

Thank you.

KillAri

Did you try delete the file, stop sync, verify local file, then restart the game?

Monkeh

Quoted from KillAri

Did you try delete the file, stop sync, verify local file, then restart the game?

I will do that now…brb.

Monkeh

Yes, I thought I had done it anyway but doing it again I get the same thing. I deleted both of the ‘items’ files and it said I needed to re-aquire 2 files but on start up, same corrupt file message.

Very strange.

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

Delete it then verify game to get it back, but they can load from lots of places so there might be other ones hiding somewhere. I’d also search for all .vpk files.

Hergan

Try defragmenting the files, it worked for me

byte

If you’ve still not got it working Monkeh, add me on steam will fix it with you tonight, re-dling TF2 isn’t going to be the solution, as it’s clearly a sync’ed file from the steam cloud causing the issue. Whether u disable it is irrelevant as well, because when you sign in, it’ll already have downloaded the last saved setup you had.

Anyway I’ll be around after 9pm tonight if you need help.

Cheers

Byte

Monkeh

Quoted from Hergan

Try defragmenting the files, it worked for me

Will try a defrag next, cheers. I think i did try it to start with but possibly not. I’ll get on it.

Quoted from byte

If you’ve still not got it working Monkeh, add me on steam will fix it with you tonight, re-dling TF2 isn’t going to be the solution, as it’s clearly a sync’ed file from the steam cloud causing the issue. Whether u disable it is irrelevant as well, because when you sign in, it’ll already have downloaded the last saved setup you had.

Anyway I’ll be around after 9pm tonight if you need help.

Cheers

Byte

Not sure I’ll be on later tonight but may hit you up another time if I can’t get it sorted.

Cheers yerself :D

Monkeh

Quoted from fraac

Delete it then verify game to get it back, but they can load from lots of places so there might be other ones hiding somewhere. I’d also search for all .vpk files.

I’ll have a look for them. Cheers fraac.

Last edited by Monkeh,

Add A Reply Pages: 1