Forum

Packet losses in every multiplayer game.

Created 25th September 2014 @ 18:16

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Clark

SDCK!

Ok, so a little insight first.

I bought an absolutely new router (TP-Link W841N) in May and it worked perfectly until the end of July. That’s when I started having packet losses in any multiplayer game I played.

I have two laptops in my home, the first one is mine which I use for gaming and is connected by cable through router. The the other one is used by my mother and she’s connected through wi-fi eating very little to none traffic.

Funny thing is that I changed my ISP two weeks ago (that was done for other reasons, not because of packet losses) and everything became great again up until yesterday, a fact which I find quite weird.

Here are the things I tried in no particular order:
– connecting my laptop directly to internet cable to see if it is ISP’s problem;
– updating my router to the latest version from the official website;
– resetting my router settings to default;
– using different router channels;
– using different cables;
– disconnecting the second laptop and all other devices like my smartphone from wi-fi;
– trying my laptop, cables and router at a friend’s house who has a different ISP (I don’t believe the outcome of it though seeing as how for the past two weeks with the new ISP everything was good for me as well);
– reinstalling my windows;
– some others which involve messing with router settings.

Sometimes these losses are not memontarily but go on for as long as 20 seconds at which point I can’t access any website let alone play a videogame.

What is also worth mentioning is that when I’m using router I can’t access certain websites, like, funnily enough – http://tp-link.com/, whilst it’s accessible to me when I’m connected to the internet directly by cable.

Every person with a problem similiar to mine I found surfing all sorts of internet forums says changing the router doesn’t solve the issue which is both calming and the same times make me wanna kick a well with my head because if it’s not a solution – what is?

I’m open to the most bizarre and crazy ideas and suggestions because I’m out of my own.

Popcorp

Link

@Network Performance
@Fixes to Common Problems

Dont know if those can potentially help, but you can always try em out i guess

AnimaL

Quoted from Popcorp

Link

@Network Performance
@Fixes to Common Problems

Dont know if those can potentially help, but you can always try em out i guess

default windows is fine as it is. user settings or hardware on the other hand….might not be

Last edited by AnimaL,

Clark

SDCK!

Quoted from AnimaL

[…]default windows is fine as it is. user settings or hardware on the other hand….might not be

Ar hardware viss ir ok, tikaj 1 gads laptopam.

AnimaL

i dont beliiv dat

easy way: get both laptops to do ping fakkelbrigade.eu -n 1000000

if ur laptop is timing out while other laptop is fine then its ur laptop (or router ddos block. tp-links have it and id advise to turn it off)

if both time out – router or isp

this test might take some time as i understand timeouts are random

you can play games or do what ever while its going on too, just make sure you can check 2nd laptop once u start timing out

Last edited by AnimaL,

Clark

SDCK!

Quoted from AnimaL

if ur laptop is timing out while other laptop is fine then its ur laptop (or router ddos block. tp-links have it and id advise to turn it off)

How do I turn that off? Can’t find anything similiar to ddos block in router settings.

Clark

SDCK!

Whilst we’re on hardware though – I began to have massive lag spikes ever since the last tf2 update. Any suggestions?

Clark

SDCK!

Bumping the thread hoping someone else has ideas.

z3kron

/Rimti/

Ok i can give you some help from my experience,mine is lag related doe(bit simmilar i can agree)

1.Turn off the shitty windows firewall if u have an antivirus..Or jus unblock connections or/remove internet security part of the firewall or/add exclusions to steam etc..

2.Check your antivirus internet security side especialy if its avast and do it 4 sure if its avast internet security.u can adjust all the security stuff and exclusions

3.Go to 192.168.1.1 and then there should be like a router system basicaly join in with admin admin or user user (name n pass) and remove ddos block,remove the router firewall completely and try trying to turn on turn off the ping block and some other firewall related features

Add A Reply Pages: 1