Forum

VPN to avoid bad routing?

Created 12th July 2014 @ 00:05

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Lex

Fe |

Orange has always been a shitty ISP, but ~3 weeks ago it reached a whole new level of shittiness. They won’t pay for a better IX, so everything connection going out of Poland will go through OpenTransit or Telia/Level3, which are always clogged. Even YouTube is barely usable for Orange customers because they throttle everything.

Problems in game: ping spikes, choke and packet loss. http://imgur.com/qwnr6Lv
Sure, the ping could be 50-60ms on net_graph but it often feels like 80-90ms. The choke (or packet loss) even causes some explosions to be invisible (and still do damage). Gameplay is often jittery/choppy, with players teleporting all around.

Enough of this anger releasing though. Since all the problems appear once the connection leaves Warsaw or Poznan (major exchange points), would it be possible to rent a VPN that has better routing/peering in their own network to avoid these issues? Example:

without VPN: me -> Warsaw/Poznan -> shitty intermediate nodes -> server
with VPN: me -> VPN in Warsaw/Poznan -> VPN provider’s better route -> server

Is this how it works?

Before someone asks – there’s no other ISP here.

Thanks for any help.

AnimaL

softether.org/5-download

there is a couple of free polish vpn servers

other countries obviously will affect ping quite noticeably

Arie

(serveme.tf)
FB
[FB]

You can use a VPN for that. There’s two caveats. First, your ping will be that of your ping to the VPN server + the ping of the VPN server to the gameserver.
Second, you’ll want to get a UDP-based VPN, for lower latency.

Lex

Fe |

Thank you both for answers, I just wanted to know if it’s possible. I’ll probably get some paid VPN in this case, free ones are obviously quite bad for gaming.

I’m going to try some VPN providers, ask them about their routing and such (they probably have some kind of looking glass tool).

Arie, so hypothetically, if my ping to Warsaw is ~25-30 and the VPN provider’s network is very good/perfect, my pings should be similar (if not better), with the exclusion of packet loss and ping spike issues?

Last edited by Lex,

I think “better” is a misleading word here. From what it sounds like, your ping will be more consistent (rather than necessarily lower) which would help I imagine. It may also improve if routes are that bad in Poland, but don’t expect that – via a VPN may well be a longer route for packets to travel.

CHERRY

It’s not a good idea

EDIT: And YouTube problems are separate thing which affects Orange customers in all countries (Poland, France where a lot of customers can’t even load their homepage) and it’s the same kind of war like there is between Verizon and Netflix.

Want a better service, get Netia although there’s no much you can do about it. We both tried VPN with Mariano and it wasn’t much worse but didn’t help either.

Last edited by CHERRY,

jakeowaty

Haha, have the same exact problem with same exact ISP.

Used to have consistent 50 ping on european servers with no choke. I have no idea what happened, but I didn’t change anything and recently I’m getting 80-90 ping on Germany servers with massive losses.

AnimaL

I wouldnt just run to buy one, the softether free vpns can be very very stable. Obviously depends on each server but as far as i used latvian ones they are as stable as playing without vpn (minus the obvious ping increase).

Add A Reply Pages: 1