Forum

High div players joining lower divs during season.

Created 28th May 2014 @ 22:35

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 14 Next »

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

Quoted from Dange

Hypothetically we could say that if a player has played, in last season when he played, in div2, for example, where he played in four or more matches as the same class, we could define that said class as his current mainclass.

This being said, we could now say that this player cannot mainclass under div3. Although, if this guy played those matches more than three seasons ago, he could play one div lower, in div4.

And then the offclassing…We could say that if the guy changes his mainclass, he would be able to play two divs below his previous div. So a div2 soldier can offclass in div4 but not below that.

When it comes to Medics, we could say that any player from any div would be able to change his class to medic and play with a team in lower div if he so chooses. But when it comes to prem/div1 medics changing their class to any combat class, we could say that they are not allowed to play in a div lower than div4 due the gamesense issue. (I don’t know why any top medics would do this but let’s put it in there just in case)

Would take a couple of hours coding.

deli

IKEA

LMAO

toogyboogy

(ETF2L Donator)
SOFT
bobs

why is this even a topic. people arent allowed to fall down divs to chill and have some fun rather than the ongoing pressure of high competition?

edit: In the end it becomes a seeding issue. most of us if not all of us play this as a hobby outside of other commitments. It would be absurd to lock rosters to the players that initially signed up with the team. And thus never preventing the outcome of someone high div joining a team in mid div.

Permzilla already admitted that the seeding was wrong with his team. but at the time the team had never been tried out and it could as easily been a flop as it could be success. Therefore making it hard to seed them.

Also to note permzilla himself had nothing to do with the seeding of his team. Admin rules simply say that admins cant influence the decisions of their own team.

Last edited by toogyboogy,

Team mate

pHy

Quoted from toogyboogy

why is this even a topic. people arent allowed to fall down divs to chill and have some fun rather than the ongoing pressure of high competition?

no, tf2 is serious busyness.

Scissors

(ETF2L Donator)

Quoted from toogyboogy

It’s almost as if you are implying videogames are supposed to be fun

rofl good joke

almightybob

.ps

-How do you define a player’s main class?

It is almost always obvious what a player’s main class is. In the example in question is there anyone who would argue that huhy is not a demo main?

If the answer of “well 99% of the time it’s obvious” isn’t satisfying, here are some other indicators you could use:

– The player’s class choices in recruitment posts
– The player’s chosen class in their ETF2L profile
– Scoreboard screenshots, if they happen to be submitted by the player’s team leader
– The team page, which often has a roster listing saying who plays what class
– PoV demos from the player’s official matches
– Asking people

While players do change mains, the main class for this rule would be the main they have played at the highest level. So someone who has played soldier at div 3 and demo at div 2 would be classed as a demo main. If the player has multiple mains at the same level then both would count as main classes.

-How good at each class is the player?

Almost impossible to generalise, so let’s not consider how good someone could be at each class. Instead let’s go straight to the next question and address it considering the impact a higher-level player would have.

-Which div should we allow a player to play each offclass ?

How about this:

– If you are moving down divisions to play as medic, you can play in any division regardless of your main.
– If you are moving down divisions to play as your main class, you can move down a maximum of 2 divisions from your highest division played.
– If you are moving down divisions to play as a combat class other than your main, you can move down a maximum of 3 divisions from your highest division played.

So for example a div1 scout main could play the following:

Scout down to div3.
Soldier or demo down to div4.
Medic in any div.

The number of divisions can of course be moved, I’m just spitballing here.

-Why should we restrict someone wanting to relax in a lower div and have some fun?

Firstly, because that player having fun can come at the expense of ruining the fun of the opponents who signed up for a fair game with roughly even teams. It might be fun to stomp but it is not fun to be stomped, especially when you signed up in good faith for what should have been a close match.

Secondly, because this is a competitive league, and while it’s not exactly “professional” there should still be a focus on making it competitive. If the player just wants to screw around and have fun that’s fine, but they can surely do that in scrims – there’s no need to accommodate it in official matches.

Thirdly, because the fact that ETF2L
a) does preseason div ranking in the first place and
b) allows teams to reject mercs who are in higher divs
shows that they already recognise that player skill level matters and that they want the divisions to be as well matched as possible. Therefore the introduction of the proposed rule is really just the closing of a loophole.

Last edited by almightybob,

fraac

JOHN
CENATION

I agree with Bob. If players want to ‘take it easy’ there are lots of opportunities outside the highest level competitive league in Europe.

Offtopic, huhy is making a difference: http://logs.tf/294143
Not sure I’ve seen a 0-5 where you outdamaged them before: http://logs.tf/293184

roban

:-)

Quoted from almightybob

lots of text

Just why? I would think that this would require much more work from admins since they should look at all reports of “too good players” in lower divs and use their time to find out those players main classes and try to judge if that player is allowed to play in that div or not etc.

I understand these kind of restrictions in events like highlanderopen but thats a whole different thing, once you sign up to play some competitive videogames(or any competitive sports really) I think that you should already know that there is going to be a lot of players who are better at the game than you. In my personal opinion losing a match or couple because of “carrying high div players”(or just enemy team being better than us in general) is not that big thing since there will be more seasons and more videogames to play.

This has been discussed so many times and there havent really been any new perspectives but you actually did something that not anyone would do, have enough effort to actually make up rules like that so gotta give some respect about that, I still think that its a bit too hard to have rules like that because of the implemention and all admin resources it would take.

Some good reads if you’re interested
http://etf2l.org/forum/league/topic-9130/page-1/
http://etf2l.org/forum/general/topic-28088/page-1/

Dikker

4-25

can u just play and not whine

remove wildcards – this is better idea

walters

http://etf2l.org/teams/20257/
They got Redzzzz but who cares?

Popcorp

Quoted from walters

http://etf2l.org/teams/20257/
They got Redzzzz but who cares?

he didnt play for 4 seasons, so that’s understandable for him to join div 4

Technically 5 seasons, he only played 1 match in S14

Last edited by Popcorp,

jacat

just played offi game vs huhy team and must say that huhy on some “core” maps like badl is a completely gamechanging factor(gg wp anyways). we have nothing against this team but i think that adding such players is a bit unfair to other teams in same division. but on the other hand it’s not easy to prevent it by rules

Last edited by jacat,

Quoted from jacat

just played offi game vs huhy team and must say that huhy on some “core” maps like badl is a completely gamechanging factor. I don’t want to whine about it but i think that adding such players is a bit unfair to other teams in same division. but on the other hand it’s not easy to prevent it by rules

You must be keen gamers, if you allowed huhy to play still when he was unverified<3

walters

Quoted from Popcorp

[…]

he didnt play for 4 seasons, so that’s understandable for him to join div 4

Technically 5 seasons, he only played 1 match in S14

If he doesnt play officials that means that he is not playing tf2?
Look at his logs. He is playing tf2 more than i do.
And i think that scouts like him cant lose their aim so easily!

Starkie

ulti?
sniper

Quoted from Permzilla

I did not have a say in the placement of my own team.

nice wording
you may have failed to mention cool cats’ and klassetur på sykkel’s seeding though

Add A Reply Pages: « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 ... 14 Next »