Forum

New laptop/tablet for work?

Created 30th March 2014 @ 01:43

Add A Reply Pages: 1

jakeowaty

Hey, I have an unusual question.

I’m a student. And, as every student, I need to take notes during lectures. Years ago I obtained an old Mac laptop, which I use just for taking notes during the class and occasionaly watching movies, but the problem is, the guy got really old. Like REALLY old. 7 years. I have a hard time doing anything on it nowadays, and the software is so outdated it recently stopped supporting flash. Not to mention YouTube videos take forever to load and are choppy as hell.

tl;dr I need a new laptop OR a tablet. I need to be able to take notes, needs to be handy and ready to go whenever I feel like it. I also would like Office support (of course it would not be possible with the tablet, I am aware), watching YouTube and browsing the web, stuff like that. But mostly I need it to work, so I don’t need an fancy-schmancy shit.

Budget is not an issue, although something up to $350 would be prefferable.

rytis

PrettyGay

never tried to take notes with a tablet, but fuck me that thing would be uncomfortable for me atleast in a class room.
get a cheap laptop!

BenBazinga

Garlic.tf

Heard some good things about the Lenovo e330 and e335

Last edited by BenBazinga,

CHERRY

Quoted from jakeowaty

Hey, I have an unusual question.

I’m a student. And, as every student, I need to take notes during lectures. Years ago I obtained an old Mac laptop, which I use just for taking notes during the class and occasionaly watching movies, but the problem is, the guy got really old. Like REALLY old. 7 years. I have a hard time doing anything on it nowadays, and the software is so outdated it recently stopped supporting flash. Not to mention YouTube videos take forever to load and are choppy as hell.

tl;dr I need a new laptop OR a tablet. I need to be able to take notes, needs to be handy and ready to go whenever I feel like it. I also would like Office support (of course it would not be possible with the tablet, I am aware), watching YouTube and browsing the web, stuff like that. But mostly I need it to work, so I don’t need an fancy-schmancy shit.

Budget is not an issue, although something up to $350 would be prefferable.

I own Asus T100 and it’s pretty good hybrid (tablet with dockable keyboard). You might want to check it out. It doesn’t weight much (around 500g without and 1000g with keyboard), has 4 core processor and real Windows (not RT) with Office.
You’d have to raise your budget by 150 USD, but it’s worth it.

Last edited by CHERRY,

frixx

LG

Quoted from rytis

never tried to take notes with a tablet, but fuck me that thing would be uncomfortable for me atleast in a class room.
get a cheap laptop!

Ye I asssume taking notes on tablet would be quite hard especially if there is a lot to write. As stated above, get a cheap laptop

jakeowaty

I’m considering what Cherry posted, it would match both my needs, which is having a nice handheld tablet to operate on and an attatchable keyboard to take notes with. And Win 8 is alright, I have that on my home PC (no hate, already installed a plugin disabling the tiles).

My only concern is that it’s Asus and I’ve had a few of their laptops in my family, tend to break down fast for some reason.

CHERRY

Quoted from jakeowaty

I’m considering what Cherry posted, it would match both my needs, which is having a nice handheld tablet to operate on and an attatchable keyboard to take notes with. And Win 8 is alright, I have that on my home PC (no hate, already installed a plugin disabling the tiles).

My only concern is that it’s Asus and I’ve had a few of their laptops in my family, tend to break down fast for some reason.

Touchpad is worse than I expected, but I don’t really use it. I don’t know where do you live, but in some countries you can get one with 500GB hard drive built in the keyboard for like 25-30$ more.

Tiles are a way better on touchscreen, but if you don’t want them Windows 8.1 have built-in option of disabling them you could miss on your home PC. Just right click on start bar go to properties, then navigation and check options that you want in the start screen section.

Last edited by CHERRY,

jakeowaty

Poland, yo.

CHERRY

They were sold out in most places, but Komputronik and RTV Euro AGD should have them. (It will propably be easier to check it out at Komputronik).
You can’t get 64GB version here, but there should be 32GB tablet + 500GB dock version available.

Last edited by CHERRY,

jakeowaty

I’ll check out. What’s the price range? I’ve checked a few sellers on the web and they were selling barely used ones for about 1,300 pln which I would actually go for. Size of the HDD isn’t very important, since I’d be taking simple notes.

CHERRY

I got mine with HDD for 1599PLN as a preorder, but at the time there were also new 32GB ones for 1499PLN. Not sure how much are they now, but prices where pretty much the same everywhere.

AnimaL

No comments about chromebooks? From what you wrote it feels like exactly what chromebook is for – cheap, with long lasting battery and proper mouse and keyboard. (you have to get wireless mouse on your own, but at least it supports it)

Last edited by AnimaL,

jakeowaty

Quoted from AnimaL

No comments about chromebooks? From what you wrote it feels like exactly what chromebook is for – cheap, with long lasting battery and proper mouse and keyboard. (you have to get wireless mouse on your own, but at least it supports it)

I’m still thinking. If I were to buy a notebook, I’d rather choose a proper laptop rather than a notebook or a chromebook, simply because I have twice as much money than for a notebook, and I might require more power when it comes to a laptop.

My old laptop, which I’m writing from right now, is still pretty good regarding writing, browsing simple websites and possible making a presentation, it hasn’t broke down yet, so I’m thinking I should get a tablet instead for watching and just carrying around I suppose.

What do you think though, any suggestions? I was looking at Ipad with retina display, used one of course. If need be, I can always buy a keyboard for it, but I’ll still be having the laptop ready for more complicated stuff, where the tablet would be my entertainment device.

Add A Reply Pages: 1