Forum

Best lerp colour?

Created 28th March 2014 @ 21:41

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

jx53

What is it? Does it really matter?

Forsak3n

S

yellow is shit, everything else is okay.

Popcorp

people say – Hitscan = white lerp
Projectile + Spy and Medic = Orange (lowest interp)

konr

check this page for really straight forward detail on the subject: http://konr.co.uk/lerp/

The COLORS on the net graph are mostly useless to be honest. All they do is make people misread the TF2 Network Graph article and spread stupid rumors like
Uninformed Moron wrote:
35 on Valve servers is orange, which is okay. That represents a warning of possible lost packets. Yellow IS lost packets.

I learned all of this from word of mouth and decided to ignore all existing literature on the subject.

Yellow Lerp: The server’s framerate is such that its own internal update interval is less than your interpolation time. Usually L4D2 servers calculate 30 frames per second, so, again, anything below 33ms will show up as yellow on a Valve Official/default dedicated server. Of course, your interpolation value will still work just fine. It will just look yellow on network graph. :|

Orange Lerp: Your interpolation value is set to less than 2 / updaterate. This condition only appears when the Yellow lerp condition is not triggered. This is also completely bullshit. It’s basically a warning that when you lose packets, you’ll probably see entities jump around. The value they use (2 / updaterate) Is not completely arbitrary. If you actually set your interpolation value to 2 / cl_updaterate or above, you’ll have 2 extra buffer packets in your interpolation range in case any update packet ever gets lost.
Again Orange lerp is all about “What if I lose packets?” It’s only a warning that entities may jump around if a packet is lost.

Neither yellow or orange lerp on network graph are indicators of packet loss or any other network issues.
If you have yellow lerp, asking the server admin to turn up the server framerate is a good idea. In practice, neither of those conditions really matter at all.

Last edited by konr,

jx53

Quoted from konr

check this page for really straight forward detail on the subject: http://konr.co.uk/lerp/

[…]

Thanks, reading it through now.

Last edited by jx53,

kzr_

gR.

Quoted from Popcorp

people say – Hitscan = white lerp
Projectile + Spy and Medic = Orange (lowest interp)

amby and revolver are hitscan – gunspy = white lerp

Popcorp

Quoted from kzr_

[…]

amby and revolver are hitscan – gunspy = white lerp

well that’s for Gunspy only, you want lowest interp for Backstabs =)

kzr_

gR.

Quoted from Popcorp

[…]

well that’s for Gunspy only, you want lowest interp for Backstabs =)

Yes and DR feinting also. Just wanted to point it out that spy can decently play with different colors

quintosh

wL.

interpolation has nothing to do with the way melee hits are registered

Interp is the best placebo to ever be introduced into this game.

Last edited by Solid,

AnAkkk

Quoted from konr

[…]

There are some wrong/inaccurate things on this page.

smziii

(Legendary Ratehacks)
SVIFT

if interp doesnt matter why isnt everyone playing with interp 0.1 then :>

Popcorp

Quoted from Solid

so you’re playing with default interp?

kzr_

gR.

Quoted from Solid

Most of the changes are placebo, just like any other preference feature. Either way people should find a interp in wich they think they hit the most, stick to hit and let the placebo boost them. When I changed from .0245 to .030 I noticed some difference but I didn’t when I changed from .0152 to .0245. Netcode is important still

konr

Quoted from AnAkkk

[…]

There are some wrong/inaccurate things on this page.

If you’re gonna call it out for being wrong at least say where it’s wrong so that people have a better idea..?

Also apparently the wiki is wrong for this subject.

Last edited by konr,

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »