Forum

TF2 not reactivatable after Alt Tabbing to desktop

Created 2nd March 2014 @ 02:38

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »

Jesse James

After Alt tabbing to desktop, when I click on tf2, first there occurs a black screen, then I get kicked back to desktop. Anyone has the same issue ?

Google says, I should play in windowed mode, or windowed + noborder but don’t want that actually.

mat_bumpmap 1
mat_antialias 0 didn’t helped neither =)

Solution : -threads 4 in start commands

Last edited by Jesse James,

Spriggan

remove dxlevel from launch options.

Phnx

nvm

Last edited by Phnx,

Popcorp

adding -d3d9ex to launch options helped me

Jesse James

I have to play with dx81, else my game crashes randomly : A common issue on gtx200 er series :(

Carlos Kaiser

Quoted from Popcorp

adding -d3d9ex to launch options helped me

Jesse James

I need -nod3d9ex to be able to play without crashes. A known issue about GTX200 er series.

Solution for the other people :
-threads 4

works fine to me now =) Thanks popcorp

Last edited by Jesse James,

AnAkkk

It’s usually a bad idea to modify -threads, it is automatically set to the right value based on your CPU.

Alt-tab works perfectly and is instant in fullscreen on linux btw :)

AnimaL

Quoted from AnAkkk

It’s usually a bad idea to modify -threads, it is automatically set to the right value based on your CPU.

considering they have choice between “a bad idea” and tf2 that does not work then im glad someone actually found a way around the 8800GT and 200 series gpu crashes.. even if it is a bit dodgy

Jesse James

Quoted from AnAkkk

what actually makes it a “bad idea” ? Please explain yourself.
Don’t get the point of Linux thingy btw. It also works pretty fine on windows… This is a well known issue on nvidia gtx 200 er series :)

AnAkkk

Quoted from Jesse James

[…]

what actually makes it a “bad idea” ? Please explain yourself.
Don’t get the point of Linux thingy btw. It also works pretty fine on windows… This is a well known issue on nvidia gtx 200 er series :)

I remember seeing a message from a Valve developer saying that -threads should generally not be changed and he explained the reasons, which I can’t remember, unfortunately I doubt I’ll be able to find it now.

Coming back from an alt-tab is much slower on Windows if you’re running fullscreen. It’s fast with windowed noborder but you end up having less fps. And of course there are many advantages to using linux :)

Popcorp

Quoted from AnAkkk

[…]

I remember seeing a message from a Valve developer saying that -threads should generally not be changed and he explained the reasons, which I can’t remember, unfortunately I doubt I’ll be able to find it now.

What year was that when he said about -threads ? maybe he meant -heapsize not -threads? because using -threads might improve performance as some people said, depending on how many threads your PC has

ondkaja

IKEA

Quoted from Popcorp

[…]

What year was that when he said about -threads ? maybe he meant -heapsize not -threads? because using -threads might improve performance as some people said, depending on how many threads your PC has

-threads is automatically set to the correct value anyway.

Popcorp

Quoted from ondkaja

[…] -threads is automatically set to the correct value anyway.

Okay, then explain how -threads 4 fixed his alt tab problem

Setsul

Quoted from Popcorp

[…]

Okay, then explain how -threads 4 fixed his alt tab problem

Okay, then explain why TF2 only uses 30% of a CPU

Add A Reply Pages: 1 2 Next »