Forum

Problem with hooking up a monitor with an hdmi cable

Created 13th February 2014 @ 04:20

Add A Reply Pages: 1

jakeowaty

Well, I own an HD monitor for quite some time, and only recently I figured out I could use an HDMI cable to connect it to the PC instead of the antique DVI.

Problem is, everytime I connect it only with the HDMI, it either doesn’t read it, or reads it as a second monitor.

Tried out all configurations, yet I can’t figure out, what the hell am I doing wrong, and why the HDMI is being read as a secondary monitor. (Own a BenQ)

AnimaL

how exactly would hdmi improve your experience that you suddenly want hdmi instead of dvi?

jakeowaty

my dvi is breaking down and i don’t have a spare one, so i grabbed the hdmi instead

Setsul

Which Benq monitor?
What cables exactly?

Are you using both at the same time or just the HDMI and it’s still recognized as a second monitor?

jakeowaty

BenQ GW2550H
DVI-I
HDMI (standard)

No, when the DVI is hooked up, it works like it should. When I put in 2, it is just black, and when I leave just the HDMI, it is set as a secondary monitor.

(Switching the DVI cuz it has jitters when brightness of the screen is lower. It really is annoying, like looking at the TV through a camera. I might just buy another DVI, but would be cool if I could just work with HDMI. Would save me those extra cents.)

Last edited by jakeowaty,

Setsul

Quoted from jakeowaty

HDMI (standard)

Nice one.
Which standard? 1.1, 1.2, 1.2a, 1.3, 1.3a, 1.3b, 1.3c, 1.4, 1.4a or 2.0?

Are you really sure about the monitor model number?

jakeowaty

Hard to say which one, seems like a regular one, i have it from an xbox that I had long, long time ago.

Try GW2550HM http://www.benq.com/product/LCD/GW2750HM

Last edited by jakeowaty,

Setsul

Quoted from jakeowaty

Hard to say which one, seems like a regular one, i have it from an xbox that I had long, long time ago.

Try GW2550HM http://www.benq.com/product/LCD/GW2750HM

That’s a GW2750HM.
Is it really that hard? I prefer to troubleshoot existing products.

There is no “regular” HDMI cable. Is there anything printed on it?

frixx

LG

Quoted from Setsul

[…]
That’s a GW2750HM.
Is it really that hard? I prefer to troubleshoot existing products.

There is no “regular” HDMI cable. Is there anything printed on it?

wow who crawled up your ass mr.cranky?

Setsul

Well why don’t you help him?

I can already guess what the problem is, but I want to rule out that it’s something less complicated to fix, because what I think the problem might be is pretty time consuming to fix when you have to explain it to someone who is mixing up model numbers and hasn’t managed to find a google result with the same/a similar problem.

Selek

Dr. med.

That may be the case. Being more educated on a specific matter is no justification to act condescendingly, though. I’m sure jakeowaty is thankful for your help anyway.

Sorry for being off topic, I will leave the thread now.

Add A Reply Pages: 1