Forum

PSU is making weird noise

Created 17th January 2013 @ 18:39

Add A Reply Pages: 1

Kynis

HHH

My PSU is making weird noises every now and then. It can be the fan but I’m not sure. I can fix this problem temporarily by lifting my PC sideways but it only stays silent for about 30 minutes. The sound it makes is pretty loud but not high. My PSU is Chieftec GPA-500S8 500W.

Last edited by Kynis,

Coleman

TEZC
TEZC

Mine does it on start up, i just hit it and it stops. Have to do it everytime. Just give it a tap.

Skyride

DUCS

Replace it. Don’t worry it’s not going to blow up or anything and it’s probably got plenty of life left in it, but there’s no way to fix it. It’s bassically just the ball-bearing mechanism on the fan fucking up. Trust me when I say you don’t want to be taking apart power supplies if you’re asking this sort of question on a forum.

In terms of replacements, bassically anything from Corsair, Coolermaster, Seasonic or Antec is going to be good.

It’s not a rush, but do it at some point in the near future when you have money.

Last edited by Skyride,

Kynis

HHH

It’s only 2 months old. Do you have any suggestions btw? I don’t need higher than 500W.

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/j56ew

Check the linked charts, they list the most used and reliable ones for whichever wattage you’re looking for.

Last edited by Lord Benjamin,

Genmix

bobs

if you bought it from a retailer and it’s only 2 months old ask them to give you a new one or a replacement?

Last edited by Genmix,

Shifty

I had it as well, i can be the fan or in rare cases it can me a electrical failure. If you have no idea what you are doing dont take the PSU apart listen to skeej, if you have some idea try taking it apart and just push the fan down a bit it will pump out the oil (maybe add some machine oil).

Skyride

DUCS

Ye I’d take it back to the shop and ask for a replacement if it’s only 2 months old.

And without looking at your computer spec I can’t say for sure, but I wouldn’t imagine you’d need more than 500w.

Kynis

HHH

There is just one odd thing that I didn’t mention about this PSU. I had this same problem when I had my old PC case and old CPU. My PSU had this same problem. Eventually it just stopped making that odd noise. Yesterday I changed my PC case and installed a new CPU (AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition). So would it have something to do with new components? And I’m talking about the same PSU.

Tuto

8-)

Had this problem on my old PSU, it’s probably coil whine. The only thing you can do is buy another PSU.

Spike Himself

TC

Did you build your previous PC yourself as well?

This may sound silly but go over the screws again, make sure they’re all tight.

Add A Reply Pages: 1